OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I've always been confused about recommendations.

How do you write a recommendation for someone you don't know?

Like what type of recommendations are these?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I'm writing about 15 recs this week. Most are girls my daughter knows from cheer or drill team. A few are sisters of those girls. It is easier for the ones I know, but they all have to give me 3 pictures, a resume, and a letter describing why they would choose my sorority.
Honestly, I know when I was an active alum I wrote recs during rush for girls I never met (just going off their resume and what chapter girls told me if the rushee).

I've always been confused about recommendations.

How do you write a recommendation for someone you don't know?

Like what type of recommendations are these?

Here is a link to the Kappa Kappa Gamma form
https://www.kappakappagamma.org/Kappa/reference/

It's called a "letter" but in most cases it's just a form like this. Going into my senior year I was responsible for collecting the recommendation letters for our chapter for the summer from the Kappa mailbox at the student union. Some people included addition letters/pictures/resumes and whatnot. Depends on how "serious" the were with the whole recruitment thing. It's quick and easy to fill one out for someone. If I know them I usually just make sure I have their contact info correct and send it along. If I don't know them I usually request a resume or for them to give me a run down of stuff they were involved in.

It's not uncommon to write one for someone you don't know. You can see on the form that there is a box to check if you don't know the person or if you only know their family. It's up to the individual chapter if they want to address those in different ways. Some schools require recommendations to step foot in that house the first day. South Carolina isn't one of those schools, but girls sent them along anyway if they felt it would improve their chances or if they were particularly interested in that one sorority.

Any help convincing my parents to let me rush? I have always wanted to be in a sorority and I am SO passionate about every aspect of being in one; the philanthropy, sisterhood, different events, etc. The only problem is money. I will be attending University of Alabama in the fall, and rush is VERY expensive. I will already be having to take out loans for just tuitions itself. I know it is may not be the smartest thing to do, but it is such a dream of mine. Everything (cheer included) I haven't been able to do due to money, and it kills me to think that money is the decision maker. Any advice is appreciated!

Any help convincing my parents to let me rush? I have always wanted to be in a sorority and I am SO passionate about every aspect of being in one; the philanthropy, sisterhood, different events, etc. The only problem is money. I will be attending University of Alabama in the fall, and rush is VERY expensive. I will already be having to take out loans for just tuitions itself. I know it is may not be the smartest thing to do, but it is such a dream of mine. Everything (cheer included) I haven't been able to do due to money, and it kills me to think that money is the decision maker. Any advice is appreciated!

Explore the payment plans that are available. Every chapter on my campus had a payment plan option for dues each semester. Also offer to work part time and put some money toward it. It's definitely possible to work hard over summer/winter breaks and save up for money to put towards dues.

Anyone have thoughts on the news from SAE today?

For those who haven't read, their HQ ended pledging altogether for all chapters. Members are now extended bids and if they accept they become full members. Then are initiated pretty quickly and become brothers. Here's more info from their website
News - News from HQ - Historic Change on Founders Day - Sigma Alpha Epsilon

SAE has had the most cases of hazing deaths/injuries of any other fraternity in recent times. They've suspended/closed a staggering number of chapters in the past few years. It's lead to them having somewhat of a "dark cloud" over them nationals-wise. No offense to any of our resident SAEs here, especially you @ACEDAD!

Overall I see where they are coming from and I hate it had to come to this. Do you guys honestly think this will be effective?

The ones at UK lit a guy on fire like 3 years ago. Insanity

I'm a sigma kappa! Can you take recs from actives?

Hey hey hey so is my sister :cool: (ps op good luck rushing! My sister is at mizzou and loved the whole rush experience. Maybe you'll meet her! Sigma Kappa is kind of small bc it just came back to mizzou a few years ago so chances are if you end up liking sigma kappa, at some point you'll see her!)

I'm a sigma kappa! Can you take recs from actives?

That's probably a question for your organization. Most schools will take them from anyone, but it's up to Sigma Kappa if you can write them as actives. I know I was able to with Kappa, I would imagine it would be the same for you!

Back