OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I have read conflicting things about recs - whether they are needed or not. I don't really think they are "required" where my daughter goes to school, but she is going thru recruitment as a junior so I don't know if maybe she should get some? I know at her school they do give bids to juniors (at least some chapters). If anyone can help me let me know :) I just want her to be prepared the best she can be. Feel free to pm me if need be and I can give out more info-Thanks!
I don't believe they are really "required" anywhere. (I could be wrong) But I rushed at a big SEC school with none and everything turned out fine. If I could go back, I would potentially track some down but I really knew nothing about greek life and had no connections.

I say there's no harm in it! I would post the chapters you need recs for and I know a good amount of people here would be willing to help. My recommendation is to send over a resume with involvement/community service/gpa and academic achievement detailed. It makes the rec writing process that much easier!

I don't believe they are really "required" anywhere. (I could be wrong) But I rushed at a big SEC school with none and everything turned out fine. If I could go back, I would potentially track some down but I really knew nothing about greek life and had no connections.

I say there's no harm in it! I would post the chapters you need recs for and I know a good amount of people here would be willing to help. My recommendation is to send over a resume with involvement/community service/gpa and academic achievement detailed. It makes the rec writing process that much easier!
Ok thanks :) I can post the chapters but I am confused about the resume lol where do I post that.

I would just get the e-mail of those writing recs for her and forward the resume over to them!
Ok thanks for your help :) these are the chapters at her school.

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha

I am soooooo excited! My real little sister had decided that she was going to go through recruitment, but wasn't 100% yet and now after going to her orientation, she is really excited about going through. I was greek at another north carolina school, so I was wondering what greek life is like at ECU? @krystynakrez I know you attend ECU and are active...or anyone else who might know

Ok thanks for your help :) these are the chapters at her school.

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha
I can help you with Kappa Kappa Gamma! Kappa just completely redid their rec system to be completely online. Used the new version for the first time last night and it's a breeze. I'll PM you my e-mail.

My sorority requires a rec for each girl offered a bid...but you don't have to get your own. We tracked down recs for people all the time. There are little old alums in practically every city & town who will vouch for someone, lol! Barring that, we had sisters who would call high school guidance counselors to get info on a girl & write the rec themselves. Now if that sleuthing turns up something negative, character-wise, well....perhaps no rec then.

I am soooooo excited! My real little sister had decided that she was going to go through recruitment, but wasn't 100% yet and now after going to her orientation, she is really excited about going through. I was greek at another north carolina school, so I was wondering what greek life is like at ECU? @krystynakrez I know you attend ECU and are active...or anyone else who might know
Is she going to ECU!?!?

So at East Carolina we have 10 sororities. Each chapter has a house, but we don't have a greek row. They are spread around the perimeter of campus and they were all original homes - hence the scattered placement. They have a lot of history in them which is something that each organization is very proud of.

Greeks typically participate in the same few key events, Homecoming, Relay for Life, Greek Week, etc. Chapter sizes are currently around 180 sisters each, but that number will rise after formal recruitment in August.

Last year we had 831 girls go through recruitment and that number is expected to rise again this year. ECU's greek life only measures up to about 10% of the student body, but we are very well recognized on campus. This is biased towards my own chapter but I'll attach some videos and links that'll give you a glimpse at ecu greek life!

(even if you're not going through recruitment or you already have I think these videos are pretty cool to watch)
1960's ECU Panhellenic Video - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
1970's ECU Panhellenic Video - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
1990's ECU Panhellenic - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
ECU Panhellenic 1980's - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook
2000's ECU Panhellenic - East Carolina University-Greek Life | Facebook

Also ETA tumblr pages:
alphaphiecu.tumblr.com
aoiiecu.tumblr.com
axidecu.tumblr.com
deltazetaecu.tumblr.com
ecuzta.tumblr.com
chiomegaecu.tumblr.com
trisigmaecu.tumblr.com
ecuadpi.tumblr.com
phimuecu.tumblr.com
kdecu.tumblr.com

I'd love to answer more questions so keep them coming!

Last edited:
Is she going to ECU!?!?

So at East Carolina we have 10 sororities. Each chapter has a house, but we don't have a greek row. They are spread around the perimeter of campus and they were all original homes - hence the scattered placement. They have a lot of history in them which is something that each organization is very proud of.

Greeks typically participate in the same few key events, Homecoming, Relay for Life, Greek Week, etc. Chapter sizes are currently around 180 sisters each, but that number will rise after formal recruitment in August.

Last year we had 831 girls go through recruitment and that number is expected to rise again this year. ECU's greek life only measures up to about 10% of the student body, but we are very well recognized on campus. This is biased towards my own chapter but I'll attach some videos and links that'll give you a glimpse at ecu greek life!

I'd love to answer more questions so keep them coming!

How big are your average pledge classes overall on campus?

How big are your average pledge classes overall on campus?
It varies year to year based on how many girls go through recruitment. My pledge class was 52, my little's pledge class was 63. We're expecting the pledge classes to be anywhere between 70-85 this year!

For people who don't know:
At each school, you have X amount of girls that go through recruitment. Throughout the week, girls will drop out of recruitment for various reasons. Some may drop because they don't have any houses left that they want, or they decided it's not for them, etc. So then you are left with Y amount of girls that attend preference ceremonies. The Panhellenic council will take that number and divide it by each house on campus, so for ECU it's 10 and then that number will be quota for each chapter.

Last year quota at ECU was 57, and we matched quota with 63 girls.
Chapter totals went up to 154, with the largest chapter being at 182 (they took 72 girls in their new pledge class)

IF and only if your chapter total falls beneath that designated number (so 154) you are then able to snap bid/COB (continuous open bidding) girls to fill up spots to get to total.

It varies year to year based on how many girls go through recruitment. My pledge class was 52, my little's pledge class was 63. We're expecting the pledge classes to be anywhere between 70-85 this year!

For people who don't know:
At each school, you have X amount of girls that go through recruitment. Throughout the week, girls will drop out of recruitment for various reasons. Some may drop because they don't have any houses left that they want, or they decided it's not for them, etc. So then you are left with Y amount of girls that attend preference ceremonies. The Panhellenic council will take that number and divide it by each house on campus, so for ECU it's 10 and then that number will be quota for each chapter.

Last year quota at ECU was 57, and we matched quota with 63 girls.
Chapter totals went up to 154, with the largest chapter being at 182 (they took 72 girls in their new pledge class)

IF and only if your chapter total falls beneath that designated number (so 154) you are then able to snap bid/COB (continuous open bidding) girls to fill up spots to get to total.
Sorry for all the questions but the greek life at my school is super small so I have nothing to really compare it to, but you said 831 girls went through. Is that including those who started the process and dropped, or just those who completed rushing, but may not have gotten a bid? Is it common to not get a bid at ECU if the girl suicided or even if no house put her on their bid list?

Sorry for all the questions but the greek life at my school is super small so I have nothing to really compare it to, but you said 831 girls went through. Is that including those who started the process and dropped, or just those who completed rushing, but may not have gotten a bid? Is it common to not get a bid at ECU if the girl suicided or even if no house put her on their bid list?
831 was the amount that signed up, and 57 was quota so around 570 (ish) girls ended up getting a bid.
There was a very large issue of PNMs just not showing up to parties they didn't want to go to and the Pi Chi's took firm action against it and removed everyone who did so from recruitment all together. i think that's why there was such a big drop in those numbers.

We recently switched from preffing at 3 houses (my year) to preffing at 2 houses instead (this past year) and when I was going through, we were told that as long as you listed all of your options on your MRABA you were guaranteed a bid. I only listed my top 2 so I was not guaranteed a bid. I'm assuming now it's just that if you list both you are guaranteed.

831 was the amount that signed up, and 57 was quota so around 570 (ish) girls ended up getting a bid.
There was a very large issue of PNMs just not showing up to parties they didn't want to go to and the Pi Chi's took firm action against it and removed everyone who did so from recruitment all together. i think that's why there was such a big drop in those numbers.

We recently switched from preffing at 3 houses (my year) to preffing at 2 houses instead (this past year) and when I was going through, we were told that as long as you listed all of your options on your MRABA you were guaranteed a bid. I only listed my top 2 so I was not guaranteed a bid. I'm assuming now it's just that if you list both you are guaranteed.
Ah ok. At my school you can go to three pref rounds I believe but we only have 3 sororities on campus. For Chi Omega at my school if you are offered a spot at preference you are automatically on our bid list, so its super uncommon for girls not to get a bid. I think last year maybe two or three girls didnt get a bid out of around 35.

Back