OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Wait some schools have recruitment before school starts? Whoa
South Carolina switched to that a few years back. If you're registered for recruitment you move in a little bit early. Their orientation was last night and first round today. Bid Day is Sunday the 23rd, classes start that Thursday before. It's SOOOOO much easier scheduling-wise. Girls don't have to miss parties for class or weird lab hours and it cuts down on the potential communication between PNMs and sisters in class.

If we get too far into school too we overlap with our first football game, which is a logistical nightmare with intoxicated fraternity and sorority members interacting with PNMs at tailgates and all. It's so much better to knock it out early.

Wait some schools have recruitment before school starts? Whoa
Every school I applied to does it that way! I thought that waiting was out of the ordinary. We move in 3 days before the general student body moves in and recruitment starts the day after move in. Maybe it's just at schools with longer recruitment/more houses that it's before school? At mizzou we have two open house days, two philanthropy days, sisterhood day, pref day, and then bid day so it's a full week long and the days are pretty full. We visit 15 and 11 houses over two days and then 7 and 3 in one day each. We couldn't really do it during school since there are so many houses to get to and so many girls (1890) and not having the full day would mean making it way longer.
My friend went to university of Houston and theirs was after school started so it probably is more dependent on the Greek system than the region! Theirs is pretty small for Texas.
ETA: @cheerKT is recruitment 11 days long or do they have some days off!? I don't move in till Sunday and our bid day is the same day.

My daughters recruitment is Aug 16-22. School starts on the 24th. There is the option to move in early for recruitment if you need to. Orientation is the first day. The next two days they visit the houses. The fourth day is philanthropy day. Fifth day is video day. Sixth day is preference. Last day is bid day. Hopefully all goes smooth :)

South Carolina switched to that a few years back. If you're registered for recruitment you move in a little bit early. Their orientation was last night and first round today. Bid Day is Sunday the 23rd, classes start that Thursday before. It's SOOOOO much easier scheduling-wise. Girls don't have to miss parties for class or weird lab hours and it cuts down on the potential communication between PNMs and sisters in class.

If we get too far into school too we overlap with our first football game, which is a logistical nightmare with intoxicated fraternity and sorority members interacting with PNMs at tailgates and all. It's so much better to knock it out early.
My school has classes that go till 9:35 at night aka we can't start rounds till 9:45 which means PNMs are rushing to get to the meeting spot and actives are rushing to make it to the first round. I almost missed the first round last fall and might have to do the same this fall. Its a nightmare for everyone. It also turns girls off because the rounds normally go till about midnight.

My school has classes that go till 9:35 at night aka we can't start rounds till 9:45 which means PNMs are rushing to get to the meeting spot and actives are rushing to make it to the first round. I almost missed the first round last fall and might have to do the same this fall. Its a nightmare for everyone. It also turns girls off because the rounds normally go till about midnight.
That's INSANE. I can't even imagine not only having to be on your a game after a full day of class until midnight but then having to go to class again in the morning. That week must be so exhausting

That's INSANE. I can't even imagine not only having to be on your a game after a full day of class until midnight but then having to go to class again in the morning. That week must be so exhausting
It's only for one night now since they changed it. The next day is Friday so that starts at like 5 and then Saturday is preference so that starts at 8 and then its bid day on Sunday. Our process is super quick since we have a small Greek system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue when it starts for cp. She goes to school next Wednesday and then has a 3 day orientation for her specific program (they move in 3 days earlier than everyone else) and then some more academic orientations for her major that weekend. I don't think anything Greek begins until after classes start in the 24th and I almost don't want to know. Only positive thing in all of this (for me) is that my cousin is the national chair of the one she wants and my sister was in it as well, and I know my cousin will look out for her if that's the one she winds up getting a bid to.

Every school I applied to does it that way! I thought that waiting was out of the ordinary. We move in 3 days before the general student body moves in and recruitment starts the day after move in. Maybe it's just at schools with longer recruitment/more houses that it's before school? At mizzou we have two open house days, two philanthropy days, sisterhood day, pref day, and then bid day so it's a full week long and the days are pretty full. We visit 15 and 11 houses over two days and then 7 and 3 in one day each. We couldn't really do it during school since there are so many houses to get to and so many girls (1890) and not having the full day would mean making it way longer.
My friend went to university of Houston and theirs was after school started so it probably is more dependent on the Greek system than the region! Theirs is pretty small for Texas.
ETA: @cheerKT is recruitment 11 days long or do they have some days off!? I don't move in till Sunday and our bid day is the same day.
They have a few days off. The schedule is similar to yall's with some breaks. Today and tomorrow is Scholarship round, Monday and Tuesday is the Leadership round, Wednesday is Sisterhood day, classes start Thursday and Friday, Saturday is pref round and Sunday is bid day.

We never had rounds until midnight, but we've 100% had voting go past midnight. Depending on how your chapter does it, usually the sisters are there for a good 3-4 hours after the parties end each night. I had such a love/hate relationship with recruitment.

We never had rounds until midnight, but we've 100% had voting go past midnight. Depending on how your chapter does it, usually the sisters are there for a good 3-4 hours after the parties end each night. I had such a love/hate relationship with recruitment.
And we only did one round of voting on Friday before we did bid lists on Saturday. We are allowed to cut people after the first night for personnel issues but that's it. And that's really only if her grades aren't high enough since we have a higher gpa minimum to receive a bid than Panhellenic on our campus requires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting! My school only has ten sororities and recruitment doesn't start until Sept 1 I think. We also don't have physical houses so the whole process is done in our student center. I don't think I would have went Greek if I didn't have time to adjust to campus and learn more about it from others. I see how it makes sense at bigger schools with more chapters!

They have a few days off. The schedule is similar to yall's with some breaks. Today and tomorrow is Scholarship round, Monday and Tuesday is the Leadership round, Wednesday is Sisterhood day, classes start Thursday and Friday, Saturday is pref round and Sunday is bid day.
Oh that makes sense! I thought you meant that they still had parties even during days when class was happening. I bet it's nice to have that weekend and Thursday/Friday off to process and catch up on sleep!

Back