OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I always wanted to rush but never did because of personal reasons. Recruitment starts on September 3rd (my birthday!) And I'm totally unsure about it, mainly because I'm a graduate student. I read the school requirements for recruitment and it just says you have to be a student. And I don't think I have the right look to fit in. Like I have a huge thigh tattoo, but I could wear clothing to cover it. So I just think my chances are slim to none, but I'll never know if I don't try?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Crazy how early recruitment is for the southern schools! My classes start sept 7th and recruitment is October 1-6. I'm actually happy that there's that much time before it starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy how early recruitment is for the southern schools! My classes start sept 7th and recruitment is October 1-6. I'm actually happy that there's that much time before it starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes more sense to me; gives you some nice time to settle in. At the school I went to, freshman were not even allowed to pledge until their second semester (everyone else could though). I really like that idea.

That makes more sense to me; gives you some nice time to settle in. At the school I went to, freshman were not even allowed to pledge until their second semester (everyone else could though). I really like that idea.

same for me! I decided not to pledge, but I liked that you had a feel for the school and balancing classes and your life before you threw all the greek life events in. You also had an entire semester to "see" the various sororities in action on campus/parties/events/fundraisers which I feel like gave you a better idea to the type of people in the group and whether or not you liked their philosophies.

I can definitely see both sides. Down south, it's a big combat of "dirty rushing" to have it so early. Sisters are legitimately not allowed to speak to PNMs outside of recruitment (unless you're required to in a class setting those first few days). The further your stretch it into school, the bigger problems you have with PNMs getting invited to fraternity parties, tailgates, etc. Meeting sisters in such settings lead to potential promised bids. Also the longer they are on campus, the longer PNMs have to develop preconceived notions of chapters or buy in to stereotypes. Having it early lets the girls view the chapters openly and honestly and make the best decision for them without A LOT of outside factors.

I totally realize this is probably not a problem at non-southern, non-SEC schools. But given the environment down here it definitely works best.

I can definitely see both sides. Down south, it's a big combat of "dirty rushing" to have it so early. Sisters are legitimately not allowed to speak to PNMs outside of recruitment (unless you're required to in a class setting those first few days). The further your stretch it into school, the bigger problems you have with PNMs getting invited to fraternity parties, tailgates, etc. Meeting sisters in such settings lead to potential promised bids. Also the longer they are on campus, the longer PNMs have to develop preconceived notions of chapters or buy in to stereotypes. Having it early lets the girls view the chapters openly and honestly and make the best decision for them without A LOT of outside factors.

I totally realize this is probably not a problem at non-southern, non-SEC schools. But given the environment down here it definitely works best.
we've been trying to push it to before school starts too. I think all of ECU's sorority recruitment needs to revamped pretty soon tbh. This year we're moving into the convention center for the first two days because some of the smaller houses just can't handle all of the girls

we've been trying to push it to before school starts too. I think all of ECU's sorority recruitment needs to revamped pretty soon tbh. This year we're moving into the convention center for the first two days because some of the smaller houses just can't handle all of the girls
I think that is a big difference too. At former-cp's school, while there are frat houses there are no sorority houses. There are floors in specific dorms which have evolved into sorority floors, but not sure when you would even move onto them if you wanted to (I am guessing the year after you pledge).
I asked former-cp when it all begins and she told me August 29th, which gives her 10 days to acclimate and of having a week of classes before it all starts.

What online sites have good options for semi formal type dresses appropriate for rush? Living in a new area and CP and I aren't having much luck finding things.

What online sites have good options for semi formal type dresses appropriate for rush? Living in a new area and CP and I aren't having much luck finding things.

Dillard's online has a lot of cute/stylish dresses that are reasonably priced. We got a dress for video day and a sundress for philanthropy at our local store. They have more variety online - but we were pleased with what we found in the store and my daughter is picky :)

I'm all moved in and ready to go! I'm exhausted so hopefully I sleep well tonight, tomorrow is an early morning! I can't wait! Also our tshirts (we have 4 days where all PNMs wear matching tshirts) are a different type than when my sister went through and they're so soft :)

Someone said to keep yall updated idk if anyone's reading this but I thought I would! Our first round is done now and we preferenced tonight. I have a few that I am really really hoping to be asked back to, but I'd be happy to go back to any for a second try! It was so hard to rank because I had a great experience at almost all of them. I'll get my schedule tomorrow morning so wish me luck :) overall I'm having a lot of fun, meeting some awesome girls, and it hasn't been too hot! It did pour on us the first day and we had to take shelter, then today it started pouring while we were in a house so we had to stay yet again and all the members had to go to the basement away from us... It was a strange way to end a social! Then we came back out and it was sunny and hot again. That's Missouri weather for you. I'm just glad it's not 100 degrees.

Someone said to keep yall updated idk if anyone's reading this but I thought I would! Our first round is done now and we preferenced tonight. I have a few that I am really really hoping to be asked back to, but I'd be happy to go back to any for a second try! It was so hard to rank because I had a great experience at almost all of them. I'll get my schedule tomorrow morning so wish me luck :) overall I'm having a lot of fun, meeting some awesome girls, and it hasn't been too hot! It did pour on us the first day and we had to take shelter, then today it started pouring while we were in a house so we had to stay yet again and all the members had to go to the basement away from us... It was a strange way to end a social! Then we came back out and it was sunny and hot again. That's Missouri weather for you. I'm just glad it's not 100 degrees.
We've had that happen before! We've had "lightning entrances" or "lightning exits" where we had to start or finish the party inside the house because we can't send the PNMs outside when it's lightning. We still cheered and lead the girls out, we just kind of deposited them in our front two rooms and silently prepared for the next round. It usually happened at least once a year so we made sure to start practicing it during work week.

Back