OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Will do. The Greek life website doesn't give as much information as the sorority/frat specific sites do, but it doesn't say much about recs at all so maybe it's not so important.
I saw this somewhere in this thread, but if my cousin was KD at another school could she write me a letter of rec, or does it have to be an alumna?
I'm a KD! It does not have to be an alumna! Active sisters can fill them out as long as they aren't in the same chapter.

Hey! I'm thinking about rushing in the fall or spring and was wondering how expensive is it to go Greek? Is it worth the money?
Is it better to rush your sophomore year

Hey! I'm thinking about rushing in the fall or spring and was wondering how expensive is it to go Greek? Is it worth the money?
Is it better to rush your sophomore year

It completely varies by school, so contact whoever is in charge of greek life at your school for a more accurate answer. Since my school doesn't allow houses, yearly for me its around 560, but if you have a house on campus it will make the amount increase.

Some advice for those rushing. Look for dresses now. My daughter didn't decide to rush until she was at school and we had to rush to find a white dress for pinning that met the guidelines. Hard to find white dresses when fall/winter stuff is out and no time to order online. She already had a solid black dress but she didn't need that right away.

Some advice for those rushing. Look for dresses now. My daughter didn't decide to rush until she was at school and we had to rush to find a white dress for pinning that met the guidelines. Hard to find white dresses when fall/winter stuff is out and no time to order online. She already had a solid black dress but she didn't need that right away.
For my sororitys pinning we would wear whatever as long as it was pin wear, but having basic pieces before you go is so important. A sorority at my school has pinning the day after bid day and they wear white tops and black skirts. If you don't already have it you're pretty much screwed. Even just having a good selection of pin wear to choose from is super important.

For my sororitys pinning we would wear whatever as long as it was pin wear, but having basic pieces before you go is so important. A sorority at my school has pinning the day after bid day and they wear white tops and black skirts. If you don't already have it you're pretty much screwed. Even just having a good selection of pin wear to choose from is super important.

What is pinning? And what is pin wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides a plain white dress and plain black dress, is there anything else I should look out for in advance? I work at a clothing store so I get 40% off all the time, I can just keep an eye out for any of the staples I need. Luckily I have two white dresses so I think I'm good there

Besides a plain white dress and plain black dress, is there anything else I should look out for in advance? I work at a clothing store so I get 40% off all the time, I can just keep an eye out for any of the staples I need. Luckily I have two white dresses so I think I'm good there
Make sure the dresses cover your shoulders and don't have any mesh or cutouts or low necklines. My sorority lets us wear white cardigans with dresses that don't cover your shoulders. Nude heels are a must! Some sororities use white heels though. However nude heels look good with all kinds of things so it's always good to have a pair.

Make sure the dresses cover your shoulders and don't have any mesh or cutouts or low necklines. My sorority lets us wear white cardigans with dresses that don't cover your shoulders. Nude heels are a must! Some sororities use white heels though. However nude heels look good with all kinds of things so it's always good to have a pair.
PMed you about dresses. Nude heels were on my list of needs anyway - we have so many where I work I'm trying to decide which ones I like most! I only own red and silver heels and two pairs of nude/canvas colored wedges so I'm hoping to improve my shoe collection this summer.

Totally agree about getting a white dress now. When I pledged it was January and try finding an all white dress that time of year, it's impossible!
A pinning ceremony is when you get your pledge pin, and pin wear would be a nice, though not necessarily dressy outfit, not sweat shirts and sweatpants.

Pinning is when you officially commit to the sorority after bid day and get some sort of symbol that acts as your pin until you become an active and get the actual sorority's pin. For Chi Omega at my school the new member pin is a safety pin with red and gold ribbon on it. Pin wear is clothes that are basically business casual. When something is an official event, like chapter, or initiation. Basically for us shoulders can show, but the straps have to be chunky, skirts have to be modest, no excessive cleavage, etc. Its basically clothes that are professional.

PMed you about dresses. Nude heels were on my list of needs anyway - we have so many where I work I'm trying to decide which ones I like most! I only own red and silver heels and two pairs of nude/canvas colored wedges so I'm hoping to improve my shoe collection this summer.
Nude heels that you can stand and walk in for hours is a must. You'll never know when you'll need them. Same with flats, a black and a nude pair. And its not necessarily clothes, but statement jewelry can change an outfit that you've worn countless times.

"Pinning" is the official pledging to your chapter/sorority. It is very ceremonial to the chapter. New members can wear anything as long as it is pin attire, but active sisters must wear all black head to toe. (at least for us)
I update my chapters pinterest pretty frequently and here's our pin attire board: Pin Attire on Pinterest | Alpha Phi, Bow Flats and Lilly Pulitzer

I would look for any type of conservative and stylish dresses. Maxis too. It gets cold walking to chapter in the winter. And also maybe a few simple cardigans in versatile colors that you can use with the more summery dresses once it gets cooler. Any type of flats or comfortable heels that catch your eye won't hurt either.
Mainly just a white initiation dress and black pin attire (a few options) would be fine.

I have read conflicting things about recs - whether they are needed or not. I don't really think they are "required" where my daughter goes to school, but she is going thru recruitment as a junior so I don't know if maybe she should get some? I know at her school they do give bids to juniors (at least some chapters). If anyone can help me let me know :) I just want her to be prepared the best she can be. Feel free to pm me if need be and I can give out more info-Thanks!

Back