OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My chapter used to have the letter rule. When I was a new member we weren't allowed to wear letters or even throw the hand sign. We could wear things that said "Kappa" but not the actual greek letters. My junior year they started letting NMs do the hand sign and then my senior year they began letting them wear letters.

They were also initiated this past weekend. There's no set date (I believe it has to be at least six weeks of a NM period) but it's a weekend long event, so they generally plan it around the football schedule. (As in, over a bye week or away game)

My chapter used to have the letter rule. When I was a new member we weren't allowed to wear letters or even throw the hand sign. We could wear things that said "Kappa" but not the actual greek letters. My junior year they started letting NMs do the hand sign and then my senior year they began letting them wear letters.

They were also initiated this past weekend. There's no set date (I believe it has to be at least six weeks of a NM period) but it's a weekend long event, so they generally plan it around the football schedule. (As in, over a bye week or away game)
Didn't your nationals ban your hand sign? I would be so upset...

Didn't your nationals ban your hand sign? I would be so upset...
It wasn't a ban. They just decided to stop "promoting" it, I guess one could say. It was pretty silly reasoning. They found it similar to a gang sign or something like that. Nationals basically just stopped posting or sharing pictures of girls doing it, but that's really it.

Here's the blog post where they discussed it. It brings up decent points but I tend to agree more with the comments. I don't know why a group of our size would cave to the terrible gang organizations by changing our policies and basically letting the gangs "win" by having the hand sign. I know active sisters in the chapter still perform the sign and share pictures with it.

Throwing Without Knowing | Blog | Kappa Kappa Gamma

I think theta is the only chapter at mizzou that doesn't let new members wear letters now, but they got initiated in September so they really didn't have to wait that long. I know our nationals consider not letting us wear letters/the crest hazing so we were allowed to wear everything immediately. I think the hand signs and "throw what you know" Instagram pics are so popular now that having that rule in any chapter would be near impossible!
Lots of initiations at mizzou happened the weekend after homecoming, so it's possible that everyone was just waiting for the craziness to die down (hoco here is insanity). Now that homecoming and initiation week is over it's so weird to not have to go to any meetings or to pomp every day... Initiation week during homecoming would be so much, I don't know how people did it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former-cp not allowed to wear letters until initiated, which is next Wednesday.

Speaking of initiation, any recommendations on where to get an inexpensive white dress this time of year?

Speaking of initiation, any recommendations on where to get an inexpensive white dress this time of year?

My daughter needed one right after bid day for pinning. She got one at Ross.

I found mine on sale at Kohls! It was like $16. I'd say don't bother looking in the juniors section just go straight to the women's because I feel like juniors section phases them out faster plus every white dress I found in juniors wasn't conservative enough for initiation.

@cheerKT our hand sign is like that too. Sigma Kappa won't post photos of us doing it, but we're still completely allowed to do it and we do. It's not an official hand sign and apparently it is the official sign of an NPHC group? When we first were told, there was this misconception being spread that it was because it was a gang sign... But it's literally a heart with wings... The farthest thing from a gang sign and that's not why they aren't using it anymore.

The other night a friend and I were trying to do other sororities hand signs and omg. How do they do it. Its like my fingers werent long enough.

@cheernerd5678 @cheerKT @Alexx

haha yes it was SOOOO hard to learn it and I think it can be a very "ugly" sign if its not done correctly. after doing the phi mu sign of years though, I can do it with my fingers without a second thought. however i have always been jealous of all the other sorority throw what you knows that are much easier!

@cheernerd5678 @cheerKT @Alexx

haha yes it was SOOOO hard to learn it and I think it can be a very "ugly" sign if its not done correctly. after doing the phi mu sign of years though, I can do it with my fingers without a second thought. however i have always been jealous of all the other sorority throw what you knows that are much easier!
At my bid day two of the girls just didn't understand the Chi Omega sign, and compared to so many others its so easy. We all laugh about it now.

At my bid day two of the girls just didn't understand the Chi Omega sign, and compared to so many others its so easy. We all laugh about it now.
Lol the chi o one is so easy [emoji23][emoji23] ours is pretty simple to do but sometimes looks weird in pics from different angles, so there are often "photographers" calling out instructions - "spread your wings" "okay your heart isn't heart shaped enough"
I have to say watching my friend's dad try to learn how to do kappa's "fleur de lis" sign (the mizzou chapter is supposed to use that instead of the "banned" one) was pretty hilarious. The photo turned out... Interesting

Back