OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Sorry if these questions have already been asked (too lazy to read the whole thread), but I'm a little confused on the whole process.
What exactly is rushing? Like what do you do and what does it entail?
How does the whole selection process work?
Does everyone who wants to join a sorority get to or are there some girls who aren't selected for any?
What is the commitment for most sororities (financial and time)? I plan on double majoring in photography and marketing/public relations, and possibly cheering (only at a state school where it's not a huge commitment). Is it a realistic possibility for me to have time to be in a sorority?
What usually goes on during hazing?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Sorry if these questions have already been asked (too lazy to read the whole thread), but I'm a little confused on the whole process.

You want others to do your work for you? If it's not worth your effort, why is it worth someone else's?

The Fierce Board: more debates than USASF has divisions but only barely

You want others to do your work for you? If it's not worth your effort, why is it worth someone else's?

The Fierce Board: more debates than USASF has divisions but only barely
I just have some questions about Greek life in general, not necessarily specific to any one chapter and it would just be easier to see the answers all in one place.
Sorry if there was offense taken to it...Didn't mean it that way!

I just have some questions about Greek life in general, not necessarily specific to any one chapter and it would just be easier to see the answers all in one place.
Sorry if there was offense taken to it...Didn't mean it that way!

I understand that. However, if you read the whole thread and THEN asked the additional questions, it would be taken much better.

The Fierce Board: where 16 out of 20 voice overs are allowed...

What exactly is rushing?
Rush or recruitment is the process where you go to each house and thought the week or weekend your houses are narrowed down up until bid day where you are offered a bid from one chapter

Like what do you do and what does it entail?
How does the whole selection process work? You write down your top choices and the chapters themselves rank you

Does everyone who wants to join a sorority get to or are there some girls who aren't selected for any?
Some girls do not find a home. But that's pretty rare.

What is the commitment for most sororities (financial and time)? I plan on double majoring in photography and marketing/public relations, and possibly cheering (only at a state school where it's not a huge commitment). Is it a realistic possibility for me to have time to be in a sorority?
You will be extremely busy but sororities are what you make of it. Each chapter will have different financial requirements and different time commitments but you can learn about this for each house during recruitment

What usually goes on during hazing?
Hazing is completely illegal and is not allowed to happen In any chapter

@jacqui_perez
As far as hazing goes, yeah it's against the rules and there's a "zero tolerance" for it but I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't go on.
HOWEVER, what the general public may view as "hazing" isn't what a sorority girl would consider "hazing"
For instance: having new members study the chapter & organization history is "hazing"
....... why would you join something you don't know the meaning behind and then not bother to learn it?

Now yes, some chapters do actually physically and emotionally haze.
*MY CHAPTER DOES NOT HAZE* We do not have the tolerance for it - Why would you want to call older girls sisters after they put you through things like that? Makes no sense. BUT, there are chapters on my campus that are known for their hazing reputations. Sometimes they even involve the fraternities in the hazing.

The bottom line is: don't expect to be hazed because it's not as prevalent as the movies and tv shows wants you to think. If you think you're being hazed, mistreated, or disrespected before you become a full sister, the situation is easy to fix. Drop. You don't have to stay there if you feel uncomfortable. You can rush again as long as you haven't been initiated (and you have to wait a year.)

If you have any other questions PM me!

@jacqui_perez
As far as hazing goes, yeah it's against the rules and there's a "zero tolerance" for it but I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't go on.
HOWEVER, what the general public may view as "hazing" isn't what a sorority girl would consider "hazing"
For instance: having new members study the chapter & organization history is "hazing"
....... why would you join something you don't know the meaning behind and then not bother to learn it?

Now yes, some chapters do actually physically and emotionally haze.
*MY CHAPTER DOES NOT HAZE* We do not have the tolerance for it - Why would you want to call older girls sisters after they put you through things like that? Makes no sense. BUT, there are chapters on my campus that are known for their hazing reputations. Sometimes they even involve the fraternities in the hazing.

The bottom line is: don't expect to be hazed because it's not as prevalent as the movies and tv shows wants you to think. If you think you're being hazed, mistreated, or disrespected before you become a full sister, the situation is easy to fix. Drop. You don't have to stay there if you feel uncomfortable. You can rush again as long as you haven't been initiated (and you have to wait a year.)

If you have any other questions PM me!
I think it also depends on the school though.. I can fully say with confidence that none of the chapters at my school haze. It's illegal in the state of Ohio punishable by jail time.

Every chapter will say "we don't haze" when you ask because that's not something they advertise. I dropped from pledging because they hazed (6 of the 7 girls pledging dropped). A lot of it is "you have to be out of your dorm and on campus all day" they say it helps you build social skills, and "give us a schedule do your day the night before by X o'clock" and "knock on the door at exactly then and if you're late there's a penalty." You need to go in to it knowing what you're getting into. I was yelled at, had to stand in a line with my pledge class with arms linked up (it's pledge bonding is the reasoning),had to put up a banner on the wall and stare at that the whole hour or so we had to stand in the line and get yelled at, the year before's class had Crisco dumped on their heads one night, you have to hang out with every sister at least once a week (because you have to get to know your sisters...) This is just a bit of what goes on, I dropped the night we were told we had to make a cinderblock into a person to being with us to line up every night but bring it in a suitcase... I was contemplating where the hell I would get a suitcase without spending any more money because oh the night before was scavenger hunt night and we were given $20 for about $100 worth of stuff... The money spent (during MY pledging process)and the stress was just not worth it for me. I dropped and our pledge mom sucked so much she didn't even try to make me stay it was like "fine bye" like no you are supposed to want more new people in your sorority... Anyway not every one will be that way but I guarantee if you ask someone if they haze (while you are looking into pledging at your school) they will say "oh no we don't haze."

I mean this in the most respectful way but the last two posts make Greek life seem so scary and are not accurate pictures for every school. Of course no one would ever admit to hazing but it does NOT go on at every school and you should not be concerned about it. If by the very slim chance it does occur, don't put up with it. But I want to stress that hazing DOES NOT happen at every school or every chapter.

Back