OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Every chapter will say "we don't haze" when you ask because that's not something they advertise. I dropped from pledging because they hazed (6 of the 7 girls pledging dropped). A lot of it is "you have to be out of your dorm and on campus all day" they say it helps you build social skills, and "give us a schedule do your day the night before by X o'clock" and "knock on the door at exactly then and if you're late there's a penalty." You need to go in to it knowing what you're getting into. I was yelled at, had to stand in a line with my pledge class with arms linked up (it's pledge bonding is the reasoning),had to put up a banner on the wall and stare at that the whole hour or so we had to stand in the line and get yelled at, the year before's class had Crisco dumped on their heads one night, you have to hang out with every sister at least once a week (because you have to get to know your sisters...) This is just a bit of what goes on, I dropped the night we were told we had to make a cinderblock into a person to being with us to line up every night but bring it in a suitcase... I was contemplating where the hell I would get a suitcase without spending any more money because oh the night before was scavenger hunt night and we were given $20 for about $100 worth of stuff... The money spent (during MY pledging process)and the stress was just not worth it for me. I dropped and our pledge mom sucked so much she didn't even try to make me stay it was like "fine bye" like no you are supposed to want more new people in your sorority... Anyway not every one will be that way but I guarantee if you ask someone if they haze (while you are looking into pledging at your school) they will say "oh no we don't haze."

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I'm so sorry that was your experience. That is NOT what Greek Life is about, and if you have not yet, please turn them in to your Greek Conduct Board or Office of Greek Life at your school.

I went to a large SEC school, and when they say they do not haze, they mean it. I was never hazed and neither was anyone in my chapter. Anti-hazing chapters DO exist.

Last edited:
Sorry if these questions have already been asked (too lazy to read the whole thread), but I'm a little confused on the whole process.
What exactly is rushing? Like what do you do and what does it entail?
How does the whole selection process work?
Does everyone who wants to join a sorority get to or are there some girls who aren't selected for any?
What is the commitment for most sororities (financial and time)? I plan on double majoring in photography and marketing/public relations, and possibly cheering (only at a state school where it's not a huge commitment). Is it a realistic possibility for me to have time to be in a sorority?
What usually goes on during hazing?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Most of these questions completely depend on the school you are attending.

Of course not every school is going to have hazing scares, but that doesn't mean every school can catch it with proof and can stop it. All I'm saying is don't believe every time you're told that you won't be hazed. And again, hazing can be considered as anything you don't want to do. I don't like getting out of bed in the morning to go to class, am i being hazed to do so? No, it's something I just know I have to do. It's really all about perspective.

But my post was NOT meant to scare you at all! I love my sorority and I don't know where I'd be if I didn't rush my first semester. It's a great experience and I encourage every incoming freshman to at least try it.

Everyone post your rush stories! I love hearing about them. And of course pictures from your bid days.

I'm going to the alumni open house event at my chapter Sunday where the actives perform their rush songs and show videos. They did a big house expansion this summer at it looks GORGEOUS. I can't wait to see it.

Turned out a little blurry, but here's some of my alumni friends at the event today! Reliving our glory days....
10521818_10202660390339507_5435130605974910864_n.jpg

10561631_10202660387219429_4296773492302464127_n.jpg

I most likely will be taking a little in the fall as long as I'm allowed to. We have roughly a week and a half to two weeks between finding out who our little is and the reveal. Because of this I'm trying to get majority of gifts ahead of time but I'm not sure what I want to get her. I want to do a monogrammed camelbak but I can't get the monogram until I know who it is.
I've been crafting since May and I decided that I want to take twins this week....

I don't know why I do these things to myself

One time I decided the Monday of Big/Little week I was going to take another little. It was @caa10. Crafting on overdrive. She realistically became the house little because I had a loaded schedule that week so everyone who lived in the house with me chipped in to paint her stuff.

How do you guys choose your little's? We rank the new members based on who we want the most and they do the same. From there they try to match everyone with girls they want. The only way someone would get a little at the last minute would be if someone decided they didn't want a little after they committed to it.
We do it the same way. But that's basically what happened.

So I made the dumb decision not to rush my freshman year (we do second semester rush) and now I really want to. Some sororities offer informal rush for sophomores at the beginning of fall semester so I'm looking into that, but they haven't said which ones are gonna be offered yet...and I kinda have an idea of a few sororities I like. Would it be worth it to rush as a sophomore?

So I made the dumb decision not to rush my freshman year (we do second semester rush) and now I really want to. Some sororities offer informal rush for sophomores at the beginning of fall semester so I'm looking into that, but they haven't said which ones are gonna be offered yet...and I kinda have an idea of a few sororities I like. Would it be worth it to rush as a sophomore?
Yes yes yes! I didn't join my chapter until spring of my sophomore year :)

Back