All-Star "unintentional" Legality

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2010
In your opinion, if a safety/legality deduction occurs UNINTENTIONALLY, should the team be given the penalty?

For example: In a pyramid, a flyer needs to be braced at both arms to make the skill legal. If the side flyer falls and doesn't get back into her prep in time to connect to the mid flyer, but the mid flyer executes the skill anyway, braced at only one arm.

Think about it. Did you decide?

Now let me ask you, does your decision change based on whether the penalty affects the overall placements of teams? Say, the deduction does NOT change anything and placements stay the same, does that change anything?

I have my own opinion on this, but want to hear others!!

i think that a legality is a legality and rules are in place to keep everyone safe. even unintentional legalities should get a deduction because teams can say something was "unintentional" even though it may not be. i could see the unintentional part getting abused. and if it changes team placement, so be it. this has happened to my team but i think the judges were correct in giving us a legality deduction.

I think performance errors should be less of a deduction as a legality, but still a deduction.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. But accidents happen and if it is an accident that something is done illegally, a team should be deducted for it. It would be nice of judges to "look the other way" but then what? A team wins even with something illegal? Even if it is an accident, it isn't really fair to the other teams who didn't make mistakes.

I like the idea of a Performance Error with a minor deduction rather then just ruling it as something illegal. That way since it was an accident it doesn't hurt their score too much. Sometimes accidents happen and in those cases the penalty should be less harsh.

This happened this weekend to our senior 3 team. Something happened and a skill that was normally legal ended up becoming a level 5 skill. They had the option to take a .9 deduction or get disqualified. So they took the deduction and ended up in last place :/

I know that a couple of companies have different deduction amount for intentional and unintentional infractions. Cheersport is one I believe and so is Jambrands. If a performance error causes you to do something out of level, I do not think you should be punished as severely as a team that just performs a skill correctly...but illegally. If the intent to do the skill was there, but a fall or some other error prohibits that from happening, I am a firm believer that the penalty should not be as harsh.

Wasn't this the reason CheerForce Small Seniors got killed at worlds?

I agree. Performance Errors should not be penalized as strongly as an intentional illegality. Sometimes the bracing stunt is too far away or falls and that causes a skill to go from legal to illegal. Ideally, the teams would have a practiced substitute skill in place for when this happens.....if the bracing prep doesn't go up-instead of the braced tick tock you do a 360 smush. Something like that could still get you points and keep you legal. Teams need to "call an audible" on the floor sometimes.

I agree with this too especially for younger teams. Many of those girls dont the rules. So if one side of the pyramid falls, they may not be braced. I'm sure they might not realize that made the stunt illegal...ive seen this happen alot with mini teams.

im not exactly sure how much performance errors cost, but i think an unintentional legality should be counted as a bobble.
especially in pyramids, where you can see one side is perfectly legal, and the other side isn't (say because of spacing), it really is like a flyer's hand slipping off of her leg in a scale

This happened this weekend to our senior 3 team. Something happened and a skill that was normally legal ended up becoming a level 5 skill. They had the option to take a .9 deduction or get disqualified. So they took the deduction and ended up in last place :/
Were you at Jamfest this weekend?
Jamfest doesnt take deductions for legalities if they are caused by performance errors.

For example. F5 on day 2 had a girl do a free flip (which would be a level 6 skill) because there was a mishap and the person who braced her wasnt there. At most competitions this would have been detrimental, however at Jamfest they didn't get a deduction and were only penalized for things that actually fell. Which is the reason they were able to place 2nd.

On a side note, i just went to nca's website and its redesigned and ugly.

Back