All-Star Upa Americup Schedule - Feb 26/27?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

are the dance worlds as prestigous as cheer? my friend is a competitive dancer and she hasnt even heard of them.

I think it depends on what type of dance you do... like for the all-star dance teams you see at cheer comps it is probably a huge deal. For other dance companies that focus on choreography, or more lyrical / modern / interpretive styles of dance it probably isn't on their radar.

I'm not sure about this though... I'm not a dancer.

well lets say USASF doesn't deny them a bid. You know teams will still go there to get a bid because big named gyms went to dallas or some other competition the same weekend. And people forget about UPA probably because its a small company that got a bid and get's over shadowed because it's on a big weekend.

HAHA. i think this is really funny, considering i went to this nationals last year, and pretty much the only reason why we went is because of mall of america. they charge way to much for what they give you and they definatly jipped a couple teams this weekend.

First of all, the seating was ridiculous. Literally, a high school gymnasium was bigger, with better seating, better scoring, and more teams in some divisions. Except they charge 140 a pop. I will not only never return, but will inform everyone who will listen about how awful it was. The fact that a 3rd place team who didn't even make it into grand champions received a full paid worlds bid is just icing on the cake for me (not a tasty cake). The amount of favoritism in more than one division was atrocious. Have I sounded angry enough?

All of these reasons mentioned are exactly why our gym didn't go back there this year!

does USASF have the right to deny UPA bids next year?

I don't think so. As long as they met the other requirements (# of cheer/dance teams), their bid declaration said that judges appeal factored into the decision. Yeah, it seems unfair and to many it may seem unethical, but at no point did they say the bids were being handed out based entirely on scores or placements.

I don't think they met their requirement. There was less than 60 cheer teams, INCLUDING HIGH SCHOOL.

There were 6, actually. ;-) ELITE, Nebraska, Planet Spirit, Memphis, 5th Dimension and AACS. Elite just had an atlarge already.

oh, ok.... i didn't know 5th dimension was going for a bid. but still... that's not very many!
i agree - it was almost to the point where teams could just 'show up' and get a bid. Getting to Worlds is supposed to be the best of the best and you should have to really compete to get there. Seems they should look at that - there should be some minimum number of teams competing in order to give bids at a competition.

i agree - it was almost to the point where teams could just 'show up' and get a bid. Getting to Worlds is supposed to be the best of the best and you should have to really compete to get there. Seems they should look at that - there should be some minimum number of teams competing in order to give bids at a competition.

Each year, event producers must have a minimum number of teams in order to maintain their status for the next season. There is a year of probation. If they aren't hitting the requirements, please send the results to Steve Peterson at [email protected]. He & the Sanctioning Committee need to know if Event Producers are not maintaining their numbers.

Back