All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You are correct. Our gym's music is going up by $300 per routine as it currently stands.
Ditto. Sadly, this means we are fundraising just for music. Money that could have gone to my parents/athletes directly. But it is what it is.

I'm betting The Champions League film put the spotlight squarely on the EP's
From my understanding, Champions League required original mixes because of the synchronization license issue. I remember a lot of people talking about it here, how there was no "music". The sync licenses is also why there is no sound on VarsityTV.

After having watched ESPN and CBS air cheer competitions without the music, if THEY had to remove all the copyrighted music off of the show, I can tell this is bigger than any Varsity conspiracy theory someone could ever come up with. With Spotify/Pandora/$0.99 music purchases from iTunes, the music industry isn't making money the way they used to when you had to buy CD's and records. The cheer and dance industry is growing and the music industry is declining in terms of revenue, so they're making their money going after anyone in violation of copyright law. And it seems pretty clear that anyone associated with it can ALL be liable: the music producer, program, EP, video broadcaster, etc.

They will pay the fee that Varsity didn't want to pay. That's what makes them "preferred".

Sorry for the double post, but it's not just Varsity. Any event producer could be sued along with the gym and music producer if they were caught with team's routine music in direct violation of copyright law. All EP's will still have to have their blanket licenses through ASCAP, BMI, etc to play music at the events (think of music played between performances and at awards), the preferred vendor list just means those music producers have verified they will have the proper mechanical licenses from the artists they use and their record labels to edit the music they are mixing for teams.

I looked at one of these preferred sites, and it looked like you could legally purchase the correct license for the music you wanted, but it costs about $20/song. Then, you can do whatever you want to it. Where I get a little foggy is with sound effects. If they sit there and try to make me produce purchases for all the free sound effects (yes free) online, then this could get even more complicated.

I enjoy mixing my own music, and hopefully will continue to do so....just at a much higher price.

I looked at one of these preferred sites, and it looked like you could legally purchase the correct license for the music you wanted, but it costs about $20/song. Then, you can do whatever you want to it. Where I get a little foggy is with sound effects. If they sit there and try to make me produce purchases for all the free sound effects (yes free) online, then this could get even more complicated.

I enjoy mixing my own music, and hopefully will continue to do so....just at a much higher price.

If there are websites where sound effects are free to download, you just need to research what rights you are receiving with the download as they would need to be in tune with all other copyright law. You may not have the rights with just the download to mash them in with other music edits.

It is my understanding that if a gym purchases covers through those approved websites that give them all the rights to edit and then they give those songs to their editor to mix, they still need to get proof from the editor that they have the rights to anything else they incorporate into the song i.e. back beats, sound effects, v/o's

If there are websites where sound effects are free to download, you just need to research what rights you are receiving with the download as they would need to be in tune with all other copyright law. You may not have the rights with just the download to mash them in with other music edits.

It is my understanding that if a gym purchases covers through those approved websites that give them all the rights to edit and then they give those songs to their editor to mix, they still need to get proof from the editor that they have the rights to anything else they incorporate into the song i.e. back beats, sound effects, v/o's

Good tip. It's just like when you download free fonts, each font usually says where you can and cannot use said font.

The mechanical rights that allow people to sell covers DO NOT include the rights to mix that cover. Varsity is incorrect in this statement.

The mechanical rights that allow people to sell covers DO NOT include the rights to mix that cover. Varsity is incorrect in this statement.

Yes and no. There are some websites that own the master licenses to the covers they are selling, and if you purchase through them you are also purchasing those licenses and rights to be able to edit any way you choose. This isn't the case for all covers, however.

Yes and no. There are some websites that own the master licenses to the covers they are selling, and if you purchase through them you are also purchasing those licenses and rights to be able to edit any way you choose. This isn't the case for all covers, however.

It doesn't matter if you own the master recording rights, you also need permission from the publishers, which belong to the original writers and publishing company. The mechnical license (Harry Fox Licence) that allows covers does not include the right to manipulate or alter the composition (and you certainly can't pass on this right to those you sell the cover to). You need specific permission for each cover from the publishing company. There is no way that the cover producers have obtained this as it is very expensive and time consuming to do so even for a single song.

It doesn't matter if you own the master recording rights, you also need permission from the publishers, which belong to the original writers and publishing company. The mechnical license (Harry Fox Licence) that allows covers does not include the right to manipulate or alter the composition (and you certainly can't pass on this right to those you sell the cover to). You need specific permission for each cover from the publishing company. There is no way that the cover producers have obtained this as it is very expensive and time consuming to do so even for a single song.

This is what I thought. I don't understand why they didn't make things more clear in the newest statement.

This is what I thought. I don't understand why they didn't make things more clear in the newest statement.

You shouldn't be relying on USASF as your only source of information for this though. It is basic copyright law, there are resources everywhere. At the end of the day YOU are responsible for what you have for music and if it's legal, not USASF.

You shouldn't be relying on USASF as your only source of information for this though. It is basic copyright law, there are resources everywhere. At the end of the day YOU are responsible for what you have for music and if it's legal, not USASF.

I never stated I was relying on them? I just didn't understand why they didn't further discuss which exact licenses are needed. I do my own Research. Please do not jump to conclusions. Many gym owners and coaches do rely of USASF though, considering the amount of leadership they have on this industry.

Has anyone seen actual cost and process differences as a result of enforcing the copyright policy?

Has anyone seen actual cost and process differences as a result of enforcing the copyright policy?

Yes. It's a significant jump depending on your selected music package.

Example - last season we paid $350 per mix and $800 for our Worlds mix.

Same producer for custom mix this year will be $1300 ($500 increase).

Some producers are offering pre made mixes you can customize, which range in price. You can buy an $89-$120 pre made mix and pay for upgrades and even swap hit songs.

You can buy pre made mixes for $350 and custom vocal certain sections.

Pre made mixes are great for certain styles of teams. I think we will use this option on certain teams.

Back