All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Does anyone know what is different in how USGA has music at Gymnastics competitions at all levels up to the olympics?

Does anyone know what is different in how USGA has music at Gymnastics competitions at all levels up to the olympics?
I was just thinking about this the other day. One big difference is the way cheer music is mixes vs how gymnastics tends to use one song at a time, right?

I know when I used to put together pieces for air... if the piece was picked up by a sister station in another market that didn't have the same licenses, they would have to actually drop a different song behind (if I used music).

I was just thinking about this the other day. One big difference is the way cheer music is mixes vs how gymnastics tends to use one song at a time, right?

I know when I used to put together pieces for air... if the piece was picked up by a sister station in another market that didn't have the same licenses, they would have to actually drop a different song behind (if I used music).

This is what I thought too. Traditionally, gymnasts have used a single song for their routine. I'm guessing that the gym/gymnast would buy the rights to the song or they would use a song that is so old that it's free music. But, one of the recent routines, I think either Simone's or Gabby's, sounded like a mash-up.

Another difference, cheer music producers use a bunch of different artists' work to make their own piece which they then sell for a profit. In gymnastics, the cheer music guy isn't there. I don't think gymnasts have music producers who are using Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Kesha etc for their own profit.

Has anyone seen actual cost and process differences as a result of enforcing the copyright policy?
I thought ours stayed the same, but just checked and pricing has jumped $150 compared to last season on the producer we use. I don't consider that to be too big of a deal. Of course I would love to not spend the extra, but it isn't going to be a big impact.

I think back to one of my favorite routines ever, Dominique Moceanu's Olympic floor routine to "Devil Went Down To Georgia". It was all one song and as far as I can recall, there weren't extra sound effects added. I don't know about tempo adjustments but it was fast for a gymnastics routine. (I'm showing my age. Shannon Miller was my idol).

My guess is that most music used for gymnastics is classical or older so it might not be subject to strict licensing agreements? Nobody is really profiting off gymnastics music either. Dominic Zito, a choreographer, will pick and edit music for you, but he probably earns most of his money from the choreo itself. Could the fact that floor music is all instrumental be a reason too? I don't know a lot about music/copyright laws so these are just my guesses.

I think back to one of my favorite routines ever, Dominique Moceanu's Olympic floor routine to "Devil Went Down To Georgia". It was all one song and as far as I can recall, there weren't extra sound effects added. I don't know about tempo adjustments but it was fast for a gymnastics routine. (I'm showing my age. Shannon Miller was my idol).

I remember loving her routine too!! I had to look it up to watch it again.

I thought ours stayed the same, but just checked and pricing has jumped $150 compared to last season on the producer we use. I don't consider that to be too big of a deal. Of course I would love to not spend the extra, but it isn't going to be a big impact.

Our's went up $200

I just noticed when I went to watch our 2014 worlds video just now that USASF took down all of the worlds videos from Youtube. Is it due to the music does anyone know?

I just noticed when I went to watch our 2014 worlds video just now that USASF took down all of the worlds videos from Youtube. Is it due to the music does anyone know?

Yep. They have sadly taken down all the worlds videos. I guess I will never be able to re watch my worlds routine from 2011 anymore. [emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. They have sadly taken down all the worlds videos. I guess I will never be able to re watch my worlds routine from 2011 anymore. [emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luckily I bought ours on DVD even though it was crazy expensive :/ only competed there once so I'm glad I can still go back and watch it. It was much more convient to do so on YouTube so that's a bummer!

Back