All-Star Usa Cheer New Music Rules..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just noticed when I went to watch our 2014 worlds video just now that USASF took down all of the worlds videos from Youtube. Is it due to the music does anyone know?
This video is pretty interesting. Why wouldn't the music artists allow it? Things that make you go hmmmm.

This video is pretty interesting. Why wouldn't the music artists allow it? Things that make you go hmmmm.

That was an interesting video. It really does make you think about why they wouldn't. I understand that cheer music producers are profiting off their music, however it's bringing exposure to songs. Just think of how many songs have been used in cheer and became popular in our world before it hit mainstream. First example I can think of is Senior Elite with Fight Song! Rachel Platten was so excited for them to use the song because it was before the song turned mainstream and it also opened her eyes to cheer. I hope maybe over the next few years it's possible to start using these songs again by getting permission from artists. I dont think that many artists would have a problem with it.

Yep. They have sadly taken down all the worlds videos. I guess I will never be able to re watch my worlds routine from 2011 anymore. [emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crazy part is that YouTube takes care of copyright issues. They have an agreement with the labels that allows them to sync music with videos. The labels then monetize the videos and receive payouts for it, they can even do mash-ups and cheer mixes!

Of course, some songs won't be on the "cleared" list, but the vast majority of popular music is. So YouTube is the perfect place for cheer videos. And it's free for competitors to watch themselves later.

Varsity more than likely took down the videos because of the agreement they signed with Flo-Sports to be their streaming site. Flo seems like a really cool site, but they want $30 a month to watch Cheer videos, and they don't have the music!

That was an interesting video. It really does make you think about why they wouldn't. I understand that cheer music producers are profiting off their music, however it's bringing exposure to songs. Just think of how many songs have been used in cheer and became popular in our world before it hit mainstream. First example I can think of is Senior Elite with Fight Song! Rachel Platten was so excited for them to use the song because it was before the song turned mainstream and it also opened her eyes to cheer. I hope maybe over the next few years it's possible to start using these songs again by getting permission from artists. I dont think that many artists would have a problem with it.

For every Rachel Plattern, there is a Taylor Swift who is willing to die on the hill for artists rights. I have to say, that I was shocked Stars got away with an entire season of L.G. who in interviews is often of the T.S variety compared to R.P.

The crazy part is that YouTube takes care of copyright issues. They have an agreement with the labels that allows them to sync music with videos. The labels then monetize the videos and receive payouts for it, they can even do mash-ups and cheer mixes!

Of course, some songs won't be on the "cleared" list, but the vast majority of popular music is. So YouTube is the perfect place for cheer videos. And it's free for competitors to watch themselves later.

Varsity more than likely took down the videos because of the agreement they signed with Flo-Sports to be their streaming site. Flo seems like a really cool site, but they want $30 a month to watch Cheer videos, and they don't have the music!

If USASF has monetized their own profile, wouldn't that still be considered profiting of the music?

I am not a fan of Flo Sports haha. Flo-Sports charges a LOT for gymnastics content and also buys the rights to some international competitions which prevents a lot of fans from watching unless they want to shell out money. They also provided links to McKayla Maroney's nude photos, taken when she was a minor, and USAG revoked their credentials for a couple of years. Not that any of this is really relevant haha, but they are definitely not a company I want to give money to.

Don't forget, for every non-elite gymnastics level (I wanna say it goes from 2-6 or maybe 7 or 8...I honestly don't remember) the routines are compulsory and no matter where you go, the same music is being used. I would take a gander that the music chosen at those levels is either free or USAG has the rights for the song.

Last edited:
Don't forget, for every non-elite gymnastics level (I wanna say it goes from 2-6 or maybe 7 or 8...I honestly don't remember) the routines are compulsory and no matter where you go, the same music is being used. I would take a gander that the music chosen at those levels is either free or USAG has the rights for the song.
Levels 1-5 are compulsory and each level has its own floor music. It only changes every 8 years, so imagine how sick to death coaches are of hearing it:eek:. It's all instrumental, so I would guess that USAG has it specifically made for them and owns the rights.

Great video, thanks for sharing! My only take on "why?" is my artistic friends are pretty emotional about their art, and I'm not saying that in a derogatory way. It's just that while many of us see cheer music as a 10 second snippet, with dings, voice overs and "what's the big deal?". Or, homemade videos as just videos with music in the background, "give us a break". My artistic friends see it as something someone created, spent time perfecting, emotions, experiences and someone fought on its worth and how they wanted it portrayed and protected. Artists are truly their own breed and criticism or adjusting their art to your liking, is not usually taken very well.

I am not a fan of Flo Sports haha. Flo-Sports charges a LOT for gymnastics content and also buys the rights to some international competitions which prevents a lot of fans from watching unless they want to shell out money. They also provided links to McKayla Maroney's nude photos, taken when she was a minor, and USAG revoked their credentials for a couple of years. Not that any of this is really relevant haha, but they are definitely not a company I want to give money to.
Ok that is horrifying. Was she hacked or something? Sounds like they were desperate for clicks.

Great video, thanks for sharing! My only take on "why?" is my artistic friends are pretty emotional about their art, and I'm not saying that in a derogatory way. It's just that while many of us see cheer music as a 10 second snippet, with dings, voice overs and "what's the big deal?". Or, homemade videos as just videos with music in the background, "give us a break". My artistic friends see it as something someone created, spent time perfecting, emotions, experiences and someone fought on its worth and how they wanted it portrayed and protected. Artists are truly their own breed and criticism or adjusting their art to your liking, is not usually taken very well.
I can understand that completely as well, however cheer is a great way to expose kids and parents to new and old music and increase exposure for the artists, which would translate to more money for them an their labels. Per the video, they have the option to allow or deny.

I can understand that completely as well, however cheer is a great way to expose kids and parents to new and old music and increase exposure for the artists, which would translate to more money for them an their labels. Per the video, they have the option to allow or deny.

I don't disagree with you, I'm a business person. With that said, my artistic friends definitely think differently than I do. A ring designer friend refused a job because the person buying her design wanted her to remove a loop that slightly extended over her next finger. I told her point blank she was crazy if she didn't remove the loop, it was a $1500 design and the loop was physically annoying the customer. She said it would ruin the balance and integrity of her design and didn't want her name on it without the loop. I don't get it but, it's her design.

I used to go and look up so many songs from routines on YouTube and buy them on iTunes. It's funny how they probably were making money from things like that but they just didn't realize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with you, I'm a business person. With that said, my artistic friends definitely think differently than I do. A ring designer friend refused a job because the person buying her design wanted her to remove a loop that slightly extended over her next finger. I told her point blank she was crazy if she didn't remove the loop, it was a $1500 design and the loop was physically annoying the customer. She said it would ruin the balance and integrity of her design and didn't want her name on it without the loop. I don't get it but, it's her design.

I can totally understand her point of view. I will completely rework a piece of choreography rather than modify the pyramid if it alters the effect I want.

Back