All-Star Usasf- Crossovers Survey Sent Out

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NJ Coach said:
The thing that scares me about the whole 25% thing is now we're asking people to do math :p

Not 25 percent off who is on the floor. Just 25 percent of division size. 7 for large 5 small

Not 25 percent off who is on the floor. Just 25 percent of division size. 7 for large 5 small

oh I know that...but I can only imagine the questions. People can't figure out when they age out, and the date is pretty black and white. I can only imagine what a percentage will do.

My only experience that would favor using crossovers would be as follows - years ago, my youngest daughter was on a small junior level 4 team - since the gym (new and very small at the time) did not use many crossovers (unless there was an injury and even then, it was only meant to be temporary) our little team only had enough girls to make 3 stunt groups...yes, only 12 girls. Those 12 girls were really good and had the skills and heart to hang with the other teams. But it was so sad to see how they paled in comparison (skills aside !) just because of their small numbers. They worked so hard, executed their skills beautifully, but just did not have the IMPACT or stage presence that the other small teams did who had the maximum number of girls to still be considered a small team. I think this is the case for many smaller gyms - IMO teams with the max number of kids for their size division simply make more of an impact and ultimately a better impression to the judges, regardless if the skills are closely matched. So I guess, for the sake of argument/opinion I am in favor with having the number of crossovers allowed be determined by the gym size, not just a blanket % for all.

My only experience that would favor using crossovers would be as follows - years ago, my youngest daughter was on a small junior level 4 team - since the gym (new and very small at the time) did not use many crossovers (unless there was an injury and even then, it was only meant to be temporary) our little team only had enough girls to make 3 stunt groups...yes, only 12 girls. Those 12 girls were really good and had the skills and heart to hang with the other teams. But it was so sad to see how they paled in comparison (skills aside !) just because of their small numbers. They worked so hard, executed their skills beautifully, but just did not have the IMPACT or stage presence that the other small teams did who had the maximum number of girls to still be considered a small team. I think this is the case for many smaller gyms - IMO teams with the max number of kids for their size division simply make more of an impact and ultimately a better impression to the judges, regardless if the skills are closely matched. So I guess, for the sake of argument/opinion I am in favor with having the number of crossovers allowed be determined by the gym size, not just a blanket % for all.

It's interesting you should mention smaller teams not performing as well. I used to think the exact same thing. That was until our mini team was beat twice this year by two different teams of less than 9 girls each. We were shocked, but if you think about it, you have less tumbling needed and fewer arms and feet to clean up. I really think jambrands scoring has done alot to help small gyms compete with lower numbers and crossovers may not be used as much because of it IMO.

25% crossover limit is fine- but there should also be a rule that a level 5 kid with level 5 skills should not be allowed to be the last pass on a level 3 or 2 team. I think that is the most disgraceful thing to see! Crossovers should be used for full-ins in case of injury not to stack a team.

My crossover rules would have been different and would have integrated a credentialing aspect and utilized the "majority rule":

1. All athletes would not only be required to be registered, but credentialed at a level.
2. The majority of athletes on a team must be credentialed to compete at that level. So if you've got a 20-person level 4 team, at least 11 of those athletes must be credentialed at level 4.
3. You can change an athlete's credentialed level once per season.
4. No athlete can compete more than one level down/up from their credentialed level except in emergencies. And in those cases, no more than 10% of your team could consist of "emergency" athletes.

I think this would have been a more flexible way of handling the situation rather than a hard and fast "20 percent rule" for crossovers. (I'm more ambivalent on the two-team max rule, as I know of few kids that compete on more than two teams around here.) As mentioned earlier, that small of a percentage is disproportionately more damaging to smaller programs (not even just "small gyms") that depend on crossovers to field teams.

It's interesting you should mention smaller teams not performing as well. I used to think the exact same thing. That was until our mini team was beat twice this year by two different teams of less than 9 girls each. We were shocked, but if you think about it, you have less tumbling needed and fewer arms and feet to clean up. I really think jambrands scoring has done alot to help small gyms compete with lower numbers and crossovers may not be used as much because of it IMO.

i feel with mini and tiny teams (level 1 and 2 usually) that it is a different story. at the comps I attend, you usually see mini and tiny teams with a lot smaller of a number. at that level and age, it is more about cleanliness and sharpness then the crazy difficulty in stunts and tumbling. so, a smaller team almost looks better. if you have 9 4-6 year olds hitting a routine go against a team of 18 who aren't that sharp, the smaller team will trump. but as the levels go up, the larger teams start becoming a lot more impressive. even in the small division with 20 kids, my team used to put up 4 stunts and go against teams with 5 and they would beat us because judges like more. it's kind of an unconscious thing to be more impressed with a higher number of cheerleaders on the floor hitting a routine. hey, aren't the most "famous" teams large teams? (senior elite, wcss, top gun) yeah, we'll throw in the small teams everyone in a while when someone specifies. but it seems pretty clear, that the larger the team, the more likely you are to win.

There are a number of things that need to be fixed, but IMHO, this isn't one of them. Let the kids compete.

But if I had to pick one, I would limit the kids to 2 teams and not worry about the percentage issue.

Let's say you have a small team with 20 and 5 crossovers to stay at the 25%. One kid gets sick and can't make a comp, but it's not one of the crossovers. Now you are in violation? Too complex.

There are a number of things that need to be fixed, but IMHO, this isn't one of them. Let the kids compete.

But if I had to pick one, I would limit the kids to 2 teams and not worry about the percentage issue.

Let's say you have a small team with 20 and 5 crossovers to stay at the 25%. One kid gets sick and can't make a comp, but it's not one of the crossovers. Now you are in violation? Too complex.
Good point...

sometimes though crossovers are the saving grace when you are halfway through a season and one girl quits here and then another quits there .. so instead of re working an entire routine and having the team suffer .. you just through in girls who can pick the routine up and help out .. and you dont pick the girl who is on the level 5 team .. you normally end up picking the girls you cant get out of your gym cause they would sleep there if they could .. who would love to be another routine!

Yes. Don't use all 5 crossovers. Isn't there a reason NCA is considered the most prestigious competition?

Can someone please design the crossover police uniform?

Why even police the safety rules for that matter?

Yes. Don't use all 5 crossovers. Isn't there a reason NCA is considered the most prestigious competition??

Some consider it the most prestigious. I believe it's more about the longevity and concentration of talent than about crossovers. Why don't you boycott NCA because they allow 5 per team?

Why even police the safety rules for that matter?

Why even have discussions about issues for that matter?

Back