All-Star Wildcard Summit Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BlockHead

Cheer Parent
Sep 20, 2013
In my CP's division, there appears to be only 1 Wildcard team with a bid. If they end up being the only Wildcard team, will they have to compete on Friday? What if there are only 2 Wildcard teams?

Thanks for any response. We were just curious about this.

Pretty sure they still compete for a score but I could be wrong..

In my CP's division, there appears to be only 1 Wildcard team with a bid. If they end up being the only Wildcard team, will they have to compete on Friday? What if there are only 2 Wildcard teams?

Thanks for any response. We were just curious about this.

I think they still compete, but if there are only 1 then they move to finals. Top 2 in wildcard round move to finals 3rd place moves to semi finals.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I think they still compete, but if there are only 1 then they move to finals. Top 2 in wildcard round move to finals 3rd place moves to semi finals.

It would make sense that they would compete and get a scoresheet. Have you checked to make sure that team is showing registered ?

Wait a minute....

It's my understanding that the wild card bids were the lowest bids. So the wild card teams have an opportunity to go from being a lowest kind of bid team directly into finals?

That's BS

Yes, but for instance, in our level in D2, we have 24 wild card teams as of right now. 1st and 2nd go straight to finals, 3rd goes to semi-finals. That is compared to at large and paid bids which we have 33 teams so far, plus the 1 from the 3rd place wild card, making it 34 teams that start in semi finals. Only the top 10 move to finals from that group.

Wild card
1st & 2nd move to finals, 3rd move to semi-finals
At large & paid (semi-finals)
10 or less teams - top 5 teams move to finals
11 to 19 teams - top 50% move to finals
20+ teams - top 10 teams move to finals

Wild card with 24 teams = 8.3% chance of making finals
Semi-final group with 34 teams = 29.4% of making finals

Granted it matters how many teams are in wild card, but I would say the majority of the time you stand a better shot at making finals if you have a paid or at large bid.

Wait a minute....

It's my understanding that the wild card bids were the lowest bids. So the wild card teams have an opportunity to go from being a lowest kind of bid team directly into finals?

That's BS

I've never looked at Wildcard bids as being the "lowest" bid type. I tend to look at them as being a different type of at large bid. With any bid, you are only promised one performance. And there are perks to each bid type.

I can see why you would rank them that way, but since wild cards are not offered at the same competitions as the other bid types, I have a hard time ranking them in that way. But that is just my perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never looked at Wildcard bids as being the "lowest" bid type. I tend to look at them as being a different type of at large bid. With any bid, you are only promised one performance. And there are perks to each bid type.

I can see why you would rank them that way, but since wild cards are not offered at the same competitions as the other bid types, I have a hard time ranking them in that way. But that is just my perspective.

I don't keep up with these types of things because I don't coach all stars. The way it was presented to me was that wild card teams were basically borderline qualified. Whether that was because their score to earn the bid was that low, or because they earned it at a smaller competition, I don't know. They were competing Friday night for a chance to actually compete in the event with the "real" bid earners.

to use a comparison that most people can relate to right now:

I felt as if the wild card day was like the four play-in games for the NCAA tournament. Or the play in games in each league for the MLB division series. A shot to get into the big dance.

I can see where if they're giving out 20 of these things in a single division it's a little more competitive than my understanding.

Wait a minute....

That's BS
They're competing for the opportunity to compete. The only downfall is that only 3 will make it to go on. The top two win the opportunity to compete in finals, 3rd place go to semi-finals (potentially competing 3 times if they score in top half). No team automatically goes to finals without competing, even paid bids. They have to compete Saturday and make top 1/2 of the overall scores. So it makes sense. I felt the same way at first about them going to finals. But really, they're competing the same amount as any other team EXCEPT for the 3rd place in WC if they make it day 2. They would be the only ones competing 3 times.

So really, it's harder to make it to finals from a WC bid than a PD bid.

I don't keep up with these types of things because I don't coach all stars. The way it was presented to me was that wild card teams were basically borderline qualified. Whether that was because their score to earn the bid was that low, or because they earned it at a smaller competition, I don't know. They were competing Friday night for a chance to actually compete in the event with the "real" bid earners.

to use a comparison that most people can relate to right now:

I felt as if the wild card day was like the four play-in games for the NCAA tournament. Or the play in games in each league for the MLB division series. A shot to get into the big dance.

I can see where if they're giving out 20 of these things in a single division it's a little more competitive than my understanding.

I know that for my area (Kansas City), bids of any kind are hard to find. I can think of three competitions that even offer bids, so a lot of teams are competing for the same 16 bids (total). There are some random competitions that give out wild cards, and in my experience, they go to teams that have (at minimum) won their division. We have two teams going on Wildcard bids, and one team going on a paid bid.

I can't remember what score our J3 earned their bid (D2 Wildcard) with, but they won their division of 10 teams and were only beat out for grand champs by a Senior Coed 3 D1 team. Our J1 earned their bid (Wildcard D1) with a score of 95 (roughly, I don't remember the exact number). And our J2 earned their (D2 paid) bid with about a 94 (if I'm remembering correctly). All of these were at different competitions, so take those scores with a grain of salt because we all know scores (at least for all-star) are insanely inconsistent across the board.

They're competing for the opportunity to compete. The only downfall is that only 3 will make it to go on. The top two win the opportunity to compete in finals, 3rd place go to semi-finals (potentially competing 3 times if they score in top half). No team automatically goes to finals without competing, even paid bids. They have to compete Saturday and make top 1/2 of the overall scores. So it makes sense. I felt the same way at first about them going to finals. But really, they're competing the same amount as any other team EXCEPT for the 3rd place in WC if they make it day 2. They would be the only ones competing 3 times.

So really, it's harder to make it to finals from a WC bid than a PD bid.

I get it.

Like I posted, I was under the impression that there were maybe 5 of these things across the country being handed out at teeny tiny competitions.

Back