All-Star Wildcard Summit Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It doesn't always go to s first place team , my daughter J4 team won their division but the bid went to a 3rd place team. I'm assuming because they had a higher score.

If they don't have minimum score restrictions on Worlds Bid why should they have minimum score restrictions for the Summit?

Oh WORLDS should definitely add this restriction for sure, in fact I heard that has been a whisper for a few years now for WORLDS if it occurs it should go across the board to Summit.

It doesn't always go to s first place team , my daughter J4 team won their division but the bid went to a 3rd place team. I'm assuming because they had a higher score.
That's true, at least at the wildcard comps I've been to. My CPs gyms LY1 got a D2 wildcard bid coming in 2nd. The first place team took the D1 wildcard bid...they were the 2 highest scoring youth teams of the day. The junior teams that got bids also weren't 1st place teams but the only teams scoring higher had bids already

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oh WORLDS should definitely add this restriction for sure, in fact I heard that has been a whisper for a few years now for WORLDS if it occurs it should go across the board to Summit.
I have said this often that if u can't score at least a 90 to get a bid, and that's even low, then why go to Worlds, spend the $ and have no hope off placing well?

Outside of the box thinking here but, I tend to believe that there is a bigger strategy at work. The Mega Nationals are hard on the budget for gyms, parents, and have basically painted Varsity into a corner because of lack of room to grow the event without more expense and resistance from gyms and parents (NCA is a prime example). Large events equate to larger prices at the venue, hotel, air fare, etc. Small venue events are much cheaper for everyone involved.
Extending a day at Disney is still much cheaper than traveling to several Mega events. It's a trade off in the sense that at-large and paid bids are given at two day events where there's more competition, and ultimately, can reward you with one less day of travel to Orlando. WC's are at one day events with little to no travel, less competition but, end up ultimately extending your stay one day at the Summit or World's (perfect for gym's in more remote locations). I questioned as to why they would give certain benefits to the WC and the only thing I could come up with was they truly want gyms and parents to gravitate toward one Mega event (minus perhaps level 5) and grow the smaller events nation wide. It would actually be a win-win-win, less travel for gyms and parents, less parent expense means a larger customer base, larger customer base means more gym growth, more gym growth means more money for Varsity.

I have said this often that if u can't score at least a 90 to get a bid, and that's even low, then why go to Worlds, spend the $ and have no hope off placing well?

But this goes back to the other thread of Score Variances. If you start putting minimum scores on bids then you're opening up a whole other can of worms - the judges at Comp X were way tougher than Comp Y and everyone knows the scores at Comp Z are always high for some reason, etc, etc. In theory it makes sense but it's a real slippery slope you need to watch out for. And what's the definition of "placing well" at Worlds?-- If people asked 10 gyms what their definition is, they may get 10 different answers. Sorry-- didn't mean to get off the Summit topic.

But this goes back to the other thread of Score Variances. If you start putting minimum scores on bids then you're opening up a whole other can of worms - the judges at Comp X were way tougher than Comp Y and everyone knows the scores at Comp Z are always high for some reason, etc, etc. In theory it makes sense but it's a real slippery slope you need to watch out for. And what's the definition of "placing well" at Worlds?-- If people asked 10 gyms what their definition is, they may get 10 different answers. Sorry-- didn't mean to get off the Summit topic.

This is why I'm against placing minimum score restrictions. Scoring is too subjective for something like this to work. Yes, in theory it would be a great idea, but it would never work for all star cheer.

Plus, some gyms/parents/athletes still want to experience Summit and Worlds. They know they won't make it pass day 1 but why take away that experience from someone or look down on them if their ultimate goal is just to make it to the big event? I don't understand why it seems like so many people look down on gyms/athletes who's big achievement is winning the bid and performing on the "Big Stage". Why worry about someone "wasting money" to only compete on day 1?? It's their money and happiness so why look down on them???

Just a personal opinion that
Honestly I kind of feel like WC bids are the most straight forward kind of bids being awarded, at least where I'm from. They are only given to the highest scoring youth, junior and senior team regardless of division. The bid declaration for at large and paid bids seem a lot more subjective and open to interpretation. I am curious about divisions with only one team in them though. How does that work? Do they just win?
Can't get link to work NM. Cheer chaos posted interesting article on Facebook on Summit bids by the numbers....how hard it really is to get any bid.

Wait a minute....

It's my understanding that the wild card bids were the lowest bids. So the wild card teams have an opportunity to go from being a lowest kind of bid team directly into finals?

That's BS

Last year, our team with a wildcard bid was sitting in 1st after semi finals and finished in 4th place in a very large division. Wild card does not necessarily mean lower skill or lower rank. Our team decided to take the bird in hand, rather than chance not getting a bid at all. Winning the wild card division to go straight to finals is not necessarily an easy task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back