All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm curious what the age grids are for competitive dance teams? Not the dance teams at cheer competitions which probably follows something similar to cheer, but the competitions with dance teams from actual dance studios.

My son was directly affected by the age change they made in soccer. He has a very late in the year birthday. He is now the youngest on his team playing mostly with kids a grade ahead of him. He also isn’t playing with any of his friends that he’s been on teams with since he was 6 years old. Coupled with the fact that he hasn’t hit puberty yet and is playing with sophomores in high school, it’s been an interesting adjustment.
:( I know it all works out eventually but it definitely took some kids out of their comfort zone in several ways all at the same time. I think it has much more of an effect on the boys than the girls because of the huge differences pre- and post- puberty. My biggest question is what the kids have to play up will do for their senior year of HS if they are still playing club - will they still have somewhere to play being that their birth year teammates have already graduated?

:( I know it all works out eventually but it definitely took some kids out of their comfort zone in several ways all at the same time. I think it has much more of an effect on the boys than the girls because of the huge differences pre- and post- puberty. My biggest question is what the kids have to play up will do for their senior year of HS if they are still playing club - will they still have somewhere to play being that their birth year teammates have already graduated?
Our club has multiple teams for each birth year my guess is when that times comes they will just have one team of all late birthdays.

US Soccer just made changes two seasons ago to be the same as the rest of the world and leagues are still recovering. It used to be based on school grade but now it is based on birth year. My 14 year old has a February b-day, is in 8th grade and plays on a 2004 boys team. Our school cutoff is December 1st, there are a few boys in his grade who turned 14 in December who have to play on a 2003 team rather than with their friends on a club team. In many ways it works to their disadvantage especially at this young teen age because they are now the youngest on the team - there are boys who have almost a full year of maturity of them. At least they are all together for school teams but still it had to be hard on them going from being the oldest one season to being the youngest the next.
Oh I remember that! My kids don't play soccer but my brother in law coaches and my neighbors kids all play and it was a huge deal! I was really glad I didn't have to deal with it because people were not happy at all, and you're right it's still an issue for some kids.

US Soccer just made changes two seasons ago to be the same as the rest of the world and leagues are still recovering. It used to be based on school grade but now it is based on birth year. My 14 year old has a February b-day, is in 8th grade and plays on a 2004 boys team. Our school cutoff is December 1st, there are a few boys in his grade who turned 14 in December who have to play on a 2003 team rather than with their friends on a club team. In many ways it works to their disadvantage especially at this young teen age because they are now the youngest on the team - there are boys who have almost a full year of maturity of them. At least they are all together for school teams but still it had to be hard on them going from being the oldest one season to being the youngest the next.
Are you still allowed to "play up" a year? Soccer was my main sport growing up and I was always the youngest in my grade because of my birthday and I skipped a grade. My last few years I played up an age group to be with those in my grade instead of those at my age. That was back in like 05-08 ish though. It's weird to think about because even on the younger team I was still the youngest, then I went to being the youngest by a lot. But I was used to that haha.
But in my area we also had age restrictions for when you could start doing travel. I believe it was 9 for the less advanced league and then 12 for the more advanced one.

Are you still allowed to "play up" a year? Soccer was my main sport growing up and I was always the youngest in my grade because of my birthday and I skipped a grade. My last few years I played up an age group to be with those in my grade instead of those at my age. That was back in like 05-08 ish though. It's weird to think about because even on the younger team I was still the youngest, then I went to being the youngest by a lot. But I was used to that haha.
But in my area we also had age restrictions for when you could start doing travel. I believe it was 9 for the less advanced league and then 12 for the more advanced one.
Pretty sure you have to play your birth year. I personally don’t know of any exceptions.

I get why kiddos would be disappointed about the potential age change, but in the end, everyone will survive one way or another.

This sentence is exactly what I was getting at with an extreme example...someone at a much higher caliber with a whole lot more at stake had to wait FOUR years instead of two, and it actually massively benefitted her in the long run, because had she been eligible for London, she definitely wasn't (and would not have been) the Simone that we saw in Rio. She had the skills, sure, but she didn't have the attitude/maturity/discipline or the technique, and continued to improve her skills difficulty wise for when her time did finally come, and I'd say it was certainly a better outcome for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do we know what the changes are? I looked, but couldn't find anything. I might not be looking in the right place though...

I'm curious what the age grids are for competitive dance teams? Not the dance teams at cheer competitions which probably follows something similar to cheer, but the competitions with dance teams from actual dance studios.

Most competitions do two year increments (this can vary based on "EP"):
Peewee 5-7
Mini 8-10
Junior 11-12
Teens 13-15
Senior 16-18
and an open 19+

However, for group numbers dance is NOT comparable at all because they go by an average of the ages of members in the group. So you could have three 11 year olds, one 6 year old, and one 7 year old (11 + 11 + 11 + 6 + 7 = 46/5 = 9) competing in the mini division so none of the kids would be competing in their true age group. (This is why you may sometimes see one tiny little one being tossed around by a group of clearly older girls; her age would bring down the group age average giving them a potential advantage) Solos are the only category you can guarantee the ages are the same.

Ok, I'm liking the progression of levels they developed. Fundamentals - Novice - Prep - Elite. Not sure the breakdown for that though.

For the "Elite" level:
No more regular senior 1? It looks like? Other than that level 1 is the same. *ETA: CU clarified that S1 still exists and is 11-18.
Level 2 & 3 are the same except senior is 11-18.
Level 4: Youth 8-11, Junior 8-14, Senior 11-18.
Level 5R/J5: Youth 9-11, Junior 9-14, Senior 11-18.
Senior 5: bottom age is 13

Addition of club "open" divisions, to go along with "international open". This is weird to me, gonna wait for more info on that.

IASF
Level 1-3: Junior 10-14, Senior 14-18
Level 4: Junior 10-14, Senior 14-18, Open 14+
Level 5: Open 14 +
Level 6: Open 17 +

ETA: I'm liking it all so far.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm liking the progression of levels they developed. Fundamentals - Novice - Prep - Elite. Not sure the breakdown for that though.

For the "Elite" level:
No more regular senior 1? It looks like? Other than that level 1 is the same.
Level 2 & 3 are the same except senior is 11-18.
Level 4: Youth 8-11, Junior 8-14, Senior 11-18.
Level 5R/J5: Youth 9-11, Junior 9-14, Senior 11-18.
Senior 5: bottom age is 13

Addition of club "open" divisions, to go along with "international open". This is weird to me, gonna wait for more info on that.

IASF
Level 1-3: Junior 10-14, Senior 14-18
Level 4: Junior 10-14, Senior 14-18, Open 14+
Level 5: Open 14 +
Level 6: Open 17 +

ETA: I'm liking it all so far.

Thank you for sharing!

Is it not available to everyone yet? My daughter's USASF profile page says
CHEER RULES
NEW Cheer Age Grid 2018-2019 & Cheer Rules 2018-2019 - Coming Soon

Is it not available to everyone yet? My daughter's USASF profile page says
CHEER RULES
NEW Cheer Age Grid 2018-2019 & Cheer Rules 2018-2019 - Coming Soon

People outside the US can’t be USASF members anymore and don’t have access to a member page

Back