All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@LateKate3 ".now she will be able to be on an open team before a senior 5 team. How does that make any flipping sense. " That part does not make any sense.

*** Sorry, if my wording is confusing. I agree with you. That part of the rules does not make sense. You should never be eligible for an open team with no age cap before a senior team that caps at 18/19 years old.

Last edited:
My daughter has been 5r the last two years Nd turns 12 on Wednesday! She was so excited to be age eligible for a worlds team next season...now she will be able to be on an open team before a senior 5 team. How does that make any flipping sense. And getting screwed two years in a year sucks. I feel your pain. So super annoying. But they forgot to ask my opinion...or any other parent that actually pays for cheer as far as I know. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m dumb but if your daughters birthday is March 2006.. and she turns 12 this week.

She won’t be eligible for worlds this year in the senior division (DOB as of aug 31 2018 she is still 12) and would need to be 13

For open (DOB as of dec 32 2019 she would be considered 13 for this) and would need to be 14

So she wouldn’t qualify for either until next season unless they change it again, she wouldn’t qualify for open before senior.

The only people who qualify for open before senior is people who turn 13 September- December starting next year.

And also not to be rude because I’m wondering how did the change affect her this year since you said screwed two years in a row. I thought it was 12 before this (i could be completely wrong) that’s why I’m asking. I didn’t think that just went into effect this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@LateKate3 ".now she will be able to be on an open team before a senior 5 team. How does that make any flipping sense. " That part does not make any sense.
If they change it to 14 the following season, she would not be able to be on a senior 5 team again because her birthday would fall after Aug 31st...she could however be on an open 5 team because she would turn 14 before the end of the calendar year.

Maybe I’m dumb but if your daughters birthday is March 2006.. and she turns 12 this week.

She won’t be eligible for worlds this year in the senior division (DOB as of aug 31 2018 she is still 12) and would need to be 13

For open (DOB as of dec 32 2019 she would be considered 13 for this) and would need to be 14

So she wouldn’t qualify for either until next season unless they change it again, she wouldn’t qualify for open before senior.

The only people who qualify for open before senior is people who turn 13 September- December starting next year.

And also not to be rude because I’m wondering how did the change affect her this year since you said screwed two years in a row. I thought it was 12 before this (i could be completely wrong) that’s why I’m asking. I didn’t think that just went into effect this season.

I'm assuming the rumors are true and the age will go from 13 to 14 the following year....

Personally, as a mom of a 12 year old who has a September birthday this Worlds age change is upsetting. Our gym is a small gym, and can't field a jr 5 team. So she is once again crushed because she has her double but won't be able to compete level 5 again. To me the only people this age change helps are the mega gyms. I honestly feel like those are who are helping to make all of these decisions only have the best interest of those gyms in mind, and not all the other gyms and athletes they are not looking out for. My child shouldn't have to leave the gym she's cheered at her whole life to compete as a level 5.

I also feel the same way about calling it D1 vs D2. It should be called Mega Gym and then a division for everyone else.
How does this change help mega gyms? Unless you mean it helps them indirectly because there will be less worlds competition from small gyms since some won’t be able to field a worlds team?

If they change it to 14 the following season, she would not be able to be on a senior 5 team again because her birthday would fall after Aug 31st...she could however be on an open 5 team because she would turn 14 before the end of the calendar year.

Oh got it.. your post was talking about changes for next season that no one knows about.
And speaking of rumors i heard it was going to be phased in over 2 seasons so that way the same kids that got pushed back in this year.. would be let in next year.

So basically no change next year, so those kids would now make seniors at 13.
Then the following year bump it to 14 so those kids would then be 14 anyways.

I completely agree with you. It doesn't make sense to be eligible for an Open team before you are eligible for a Senior team. They need to fix that.

Oh got it.. your post was talking about changes for next season that no one knows about.
And speaking of rumors i heard it was going to be phased in over 2 seasons so that way the same kids that got pushed back in this year.. would be let in next year.

So basically no change next year, so those kids would now make seniors at 13.
Then the following year bump it to 14 so those kids would then be 14 anyways.

Well, my post was based on everything I've read on here a million times about how it'll be 13 this upcoming season and then 14 the following. If you are correct that it would be 13 for 2 years and then 14 the following year, then that would certainly lessen the sting...but I've only ever heard this right now. I do hope you are correct in that.

My daughter has been 5r the last two years Nd turns 12 on Wednesday! She was so excited to be age eligible for a worlds team next season...now she will be able to be on an open team before a senior 5 team. How does that make any flipping sense. And getting screwed two years in a year sucks. I feel your pain. So super annoying. But they forgot to ask my opinion...or any other parent that actually pays for cheer as far as I know. Lol.

Exactly! Makes no sense!

How does this change help mega gyms? Unless you mean it helps them indirectly because there will be less worlds competition from small gyms since some won’t be able to field a worlds team?

It helps them to Pull more kids since smaller teams will not be able to field a level 5 team due the new age restrictions. They will go to the bigger gyms, and travel further to do so so they can be on J5 and restricted teams.

It helps them to Pull more kids since smaller teams will not be able to field a level 5 team due the new age restrictions. They will go to the bigger gyms, and travel further to do so so they can be on J5 and restricted teams.

I do not see how this effects fielding a J5 or J-R5 team at all. Kids have been able to stay on a Junior team until they were 15 and still can. Just because a child is 12 does not mean they age out of Juniors. When CP was on J5 (3 seasons ago) they had flyers that were 10-14 in the air. There was one 10 year old, one 11 year old, a 13 and a 14 yo flyer.

Why is it that since then everyone who’s kid is a flyer assumes that when they are 12 they are ready for a worlds team? Some of the BEST worlds level flyers stayed on J5 until they were 13-14. It is ok— guess what— they won’t graduate from high school until they are 18. That is plenty of time to go to Worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not see how this effects fielding a J5 or J-R5 team at all. Kids have been able to stay on a Junior team until they were 15 and still can. Just because a child is 12 does not mean they age out of Juniors. When CP was on J5 (3 seasons ago) they had flyers that were 10-14 in the air. There was one 10 year old, one 11 year old, a 13 and a 14 yo flyer.

Why is it that since then everyone who’s kid is a flyer assumes that when they are 12 they are ready for a worlds team? Some of the BEST worlds level flyers stayed on J5 until they were 13-14. It is ok— guess what— they won’t graduate from high school until they are 18. That is plenty of time to go to Worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank You

Back