All-Star Worlds And Summit Travel

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheer Dad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2009
Just curious, since it is that time of year...

For those fortunate enough to be attending Worlds or The Summit, how does your gym handle the travel and lodging registrations?

Are you allowed to make them on your own using a team block, can you stay off property if you have a time share or free hotel rooms, or are there still any shady or unscrupulous gyms that try to make a profit off rooms and booking airfare without allowing you to see pricing?

How are alternates or last minute fill ins handled for travel?

**Silly owner, that's NOT how the big gyms really do it**

Our gym allows (requires? [emoji23]) families to make their own travel arrangements. Alternates or last minute fill ins, I suppose, would be required to do the same. It has not been an issue here. Like, if you were asked to be a fill in (no alternates) you'd accept based on your ability to take care of travel.

We book our own travel. The gym has asked us to all stay at one hotel but it is not mandatory (and as such, we will NOT be staying there). Almost all families are staying onsite, but not at one of the cheer hotels.

Well at Cali, our team for Summit will be staying together but parents may stay wherever they would like and need to make their own arrangements. I think most of us are staying where the team stays, though. We also book our own airline travel.

I can't imagine our gym trying to book a flight for me - or a room for that matter. lol! I mean, I know in some cases they will book flights so teams can go together but not for the parents.

I would say most everyone rents houses or condos....i stayed with my friends in laws last year. [emoji1]. Coaches have nothing to do with plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year we booked (and paid for) our athletes flights (all on same plane) and the gym took care of the rest. Parents could stay at the same "resort" and fly on the same flights as the kids, or book/fly wherever and whatever they chose.

That said, it is not the same across the board for all teams within the program. I know another team where the parents were all required to stay at the same hotel with their kids in the rooms (hotel chosen by gym). And yes, both teams (the one my child was on and the other) were there on paid bids. So, it is up to the coaches/directors at each location.

CP's team has a paid worlds bid. The gym took care of their room (off property) and asked the athletes to request their roommates (teammates). Parents were able to book through a special link/rate at the same hotel or could chose to stay elsewhere. The only "requirement" was travel days: they have to be at practice the Wednesday before worlds and can't leave until Tuesday after in case they have a Monday finals on the ball field due to weather delays. We book our own and our athletes airfare.

We have a paid bid for Worlds. The bid covers the hotel and food. We pay for air within the dates/time they've asked us to. The team stays together. We can stay wherever we choose, where the team is or a hotel of our choosing.

For Summit we can stay where we want which allows people to use timeshares, stay with relatives, or find something else that fits their budget or hotel preferences. Most families choose to stay with the gym for the experience, but not everyone does. For Worlds, the team stays together in condos. The parents can choose to stay in a separate condo or they can stay elsewhere; timeshare, hotel, with a relative, in their car, etc.

We are told which days to travel (there and back), but how we get there is up to us. Most families fly, but some choose to drive. It also allows for flexibility in work/school schedules. Some districts are very strict about absences or the kid has a class they need to attend so the parent can book a flight after school.

We don't pay the gym any fees for lodging or travel. If we stay on site for Summit we give the gym a credit card for the cost and they enter it directly into the Varsity site. My credit card statement shows I paid the money directly to The Summit not the gym.

We have a paid bid for Worlds. We drop our kids off at the airport Thursday and get them back Tuesday. The gym takes care of all arrangements, we get an itemized list of costs. The paid bid covered the registration fee and the flight. The team flys together and stays in a house together. Parents can do whatever they want, which made for one relaxing vacation for me and my husband last year with no CP to worry about !

We have a paid bid for Worlds. We drop our kids off at the airport Thursday and get them back Tuesday. The gym takes care of all arrangements, we get an itemized list of costs. The paid bid covered the registration fee and the flight. The team flys together and stays in a house together. Parents can do whatever they want, which made for one relaxing vacation for me and my husband last year with no CP to worry about !

Summit Bid- our gym mandates we purchase our flights through the gym. All athletes are required to be on the same flight. They are all required to stay at same hotel, at least during comp days. So we have a block and are all staying there. Registration and all that paid through the gym. It's ran pretty tight. The parents are not required to take same flights and can find cheaper. But I rather fly with my kid.

Summit Bid- our gym mandates we purchase our flights through the gym. All athletes are required to be on the same flight. They are all required to stay at same hotel, at least during comp days. So we have a block and are all staying there. Registration and all that paid through the gym. It's ran pretty tight. The parents are not required to take same flights and can find cheaper. But I rather fly with my kid.

Do they have a travel agent? Do you know how much you're paying? We had to take one of four flights to Dallas in the past few years and use a code with the airline and then e-mail back the confirmation to the gym, but we paid American Airlines directly. All star costs so much already, I need to cut corners where I can after six years.

Does your gym have a full paid bid they are using to pay for flights and rooms for the kids?

Does your gym have a full paid bid they are using to pay for flights and rooms for the kids?

No we do not have a full paid. We are staying off Disney resort and fantastic condos that are very reasonable. Flights were expensive.

Back