All-Star Worlds And Summit Travel

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Posted how it is done in our gym, then re-thought as it just sounded grumbly.

Does anyone know if friends/family can book and pay for on-site accommodation themselves? They thought they could and just needed the gyms reference number. But they've just got an invoice from USASF with no information on where to pay on it. So looks like the coach has done it for them. They are not arriving at the same time as the team and leave earlier. They also don't need to use their transport as they'll have their own car. I'm not sure how that works with checking in/finding their rooms and bands though? Last time we all arrived together and checked in with USASF for everything.

I think the best thing to do is to call Varsity and speak to the Summit people. They are very helpful. (Not sure how the time difference works for you, thought)

Posted how it is done in our gym, then re-thought as it just sounded grumbly.

Does anyone know if friends/family can book and pay for on-site accommodation themselves? They thought they could and just needed the gyms reference number. But they've just got an invoice from USASF with no information on where to pay on it. So looks like the coach has done it for them. They are not arriving at the same time as the team and leave earlier. They also don't need to use their transport as they'll have their own car. I'm not sure how that works with checking in/finding their rooms and bands though? Last time we all arrived together and checked in with USASF for everything.
You can, but some gyms don't like to give out their reference number. If the coach is requirinf everyone go through them, then there should be a form that you can fill out that will let you check-in personally when you get there. My first contact would be the coach/gym owner since everyone seems to do this a little differently.

I have nothing to add, but I love the savings account idea! I know parents could just save on their own but easier said than done for some people.
This is our second gym that has done this. It alleviates people saying at the last minute they cannot pay registration and tickets for Worlds. Unfortunately, it doesn't alleviate the occasional parents who don't buy flights when they are supposed to LOL.

Yes. They consider(ed?) it an investment in the gym. Not sneaky or anything, it was explained in their contract.

This doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of a full-paid bid then? And, if they gym is getting a fat "investment" like that, I'd expect the toilets to be studded with Swarovski crystals.

Haven't we had the conversation before about gyms using paid bids as an investment into the gym? I think the bids say that you can do this, so I doubt that this gym is the only one. It's not how I would personally do it, but I can see why a gym would. If a gym decides to buy new equipment, you the parent are essentially buying it anyways. If they use bid money for the new equipment and your money goes to worlds instead, well it's still all the same money being allocated differently. As long as a gym makes this known in advance, and you're expecting to pay for worlds no matter what, then I guess it works for this gym.

Honestly no. They've cheered for me 2 years, not a single issue, late payment, clueless moment until this one! The problem was that it was a divorced family. She thought he took care of it, he thought she did. If I would have bet on which kids family this text would have come from they would have been way down on the list. My money would have gone to the parents that went to the wrong STATE to pick their daughter up from camp last summer. That was a first for sure! It baffles me how clueless some parents are.
@chabc accidental bully rating?

Haven't we had the conversation before about gyms using paid bids as an investment into the gym? I think the bids say that you can do this, so I doubt that this gym is the only one. It's not how I would personally do it, but I can see why a gym would. If a gym decides to buy new equipment, you the parent are essentially buying it anyways. If they use bid money for the new equipment and your money goes to worlds instead, well it's still all the same money being allocated differently. As long as a gym makes this known in advance, and you're expecting to pay for worlds no matter what, then I guess it works for this gym.
Mehhhhh I don't think it's the same. If a gym has 200 athletes then when the gym buys new equipment it's all 200 athletes paying for it. If they use the paid bid then only the worlds team is paying for it and they're essentially paying $650 each for it. It's one thing if they take a portion of the paid bid money as an investment, but taking the entirety of it? That means the parents could be paying $650 less than they end up paying for worlds. With a small team, the gym is cashing in a $13,000 check earned by 20 athletes, and those athletes each "contribute" $650 to the gym whereas if the gym spent $13,000 on equipment sans paid bid it would be $65 per athlete. That seems unfair to the worlds team that earned the bid.
Of course the gym can do whatever they want and obviously they're being upfront with people about it, but that doesn't mean it have to agree with it. I just don't think it's right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think this needed its own threat so I'll just add it here. Does anyone have a summit packing check list for their team? Or for coaches?

I didn't think this needed its own threat so I'll just add it here. Does anyone have a summit packing check list for their team? Or for coaches?

I don't have an exact list, but I can try to remember what we had to bring when we went to UCA (so many years ago, lol) I liked making packing lists though.

Bag 1 - Carry On
uniform and cheer bow (in ziploc for protection)
all required practice wear (in separate ziploc)
cheer shoes
cheer make up
sunglasses
stuff to do (books, homework)
headphones
pens/pencils/crayons/markers
snacks
gum (so your ears don't pop)
wallet (money, credit cards, ID)
cell phone
car keys/house keys
ID tag (name, number)
any medications needed (inhaler, epi pen etc)
any braces needed (ankle brace, knee brace etc)

Bag 2- Check
socks
underwear
sports bras
regular bras
shorts/pants
sweater/jacket
something waterproof? (Florida can have weird weather)
umbrella?
skirt/dress outfit if team goes to nice dinner
other t shirts to wear
bathingsuit
sandals/ pool shoes
sneakers (for going to the parks)
nice shoes/heels (if needed)
hair items (hair brush, comb, hair spray, pins, hair ties etc)
make up remover
face wash
body lotion
sunscreen!!!!
toothbrush and toothpaste
chargers for phones, computers, ipads etc
goodies to trade with other teams (if your gym is doing this)
large reusable water bottle
more snacks

I would think that coaches would need to bring extra things like nail polish remover(just in case), band aids, ibuprofen or anything else an athlete might need on the fly. They might also need to bring 5 hour energy shots, a case, maybe two... or three.

I don't have an exact list, but I can try to remember what we had to bring when we went to UCA (so many years ago, lol) I liked making packing lists though.

Bag 1 - Carry On
uniform and cheer bow (in ziploc for protection)
all required practice wear (in separate ziploc)
cheer shoes
cheer make up
sunglasses
stuff to do (books, homework)
headphones
pens/pencils/crayons/markers
snacks
gum (so your ears don't pop)
wallet (money, credit cards, ID)
cell phone
car keys/house keys
ID tag (name, number)
any medications needed (inhaler, epi pen etc)
any braces needed (ankle brace, knee brace etc)

Bag 2- Check
socks
underwear
sports bras
regular bras
shorts/pants
sweater/jacket
something waterproof? (Florida can have weird weather)
umbrella?
skirt/dress outfit if team goes to nice dinner
other t shirts to wear
bathingsuit
sandals/ pool shoes
sneakers (for going to the parks)
nice shoes/heels (if needed)
hair items (hair brush, comb, hair spray, pins, hair ties etc)
make up remover
face wash
body lotion
sunscreen!!!!
toothbrush and toothpaste
chargers for phones, computers, ipads etc
goodies to trade with other teams (if your gym is doing this)
large reusable water bottle
more snacks

I would think that coaches would need to bring extra things like nail polish remover(just in case), band aids, ibuprofen or anything else an athlete might need on the fly. They might also need to bring 5 hour energy shots, a case, maybe two... or three.
It can take forever for your bag to get to your hotel room, so maybe put your swim suit and/or dinner outfit in your carry on.

Back