All-Star Worlds Finals 2012 Changes...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The issue is that providing one set of teams with an advantage in a competition means that you are, by definition, putting another set of teams at a disadvantage based on their address. Also, the 4th best team in the world should be able to have a better shot at getting 4th than the 10th best team.
YES. i'm not sure how ACX was this year after prelims, but two years ago when they were IOC6, they were in 4th place after prelims, but didn't make it to finals because of the "only 3 teams per country" and then the team who was named 4th in the world was a team that was like 15th after prelims because they were international... very unfair.

We give an advantage to to teams outside the USA, a few years ago that may have made sense, but from what I saw last year, the International teams no longer need that handicap. They did beat many USA teams in the 1st round just on their merit. If we're gving handicaps out why not to give them to states that dont have a huge pool of boys or girls to recruit. In our state IF there are ANY requirements for HS cheer its a BHS, and that's for varsity only. Only a couple of Colleges require more than a BHS, most dont require any tumbling. They dont have mats and practice on grass. That sounds like a just of a disadvantage to me, but we dont get a handicap nor should we.

I totally agree with the top ten going to finals! Then the crowd gets to see the best of the best and the venue isnt overly crowded with a billion teams. I cant imagine competing three times in one weekend though. I understand that it shows consistency but its seems like alot after teams travel so far

It works out for the International divisions which have many US teams and they have to cut it down to top 3 for finals. They have breaks in between competing soit would be just like if you ran through your routine full out twice at practice.

We give an advantage to to teams outside the USA, a few years ago that may have made sense, but from what I saw last year, the International teams no longer need that handicap. They did beat many USA teams in the 1st round just on their merit. If we're gving handicaps out why not to give them to states that dont have a huge pool of boys or girls to recruit. In our state IF there are ANY requirements for HS cheer its a BHS, and that's for varsity only. Only a couple of Colleges require more than a BHS, most dont require any tumbling. They dont have mats and practice on grass. That sounds like a just of a disadvantage to me, but we dont get a handicap nor should we.

That 'merit', as far as I know, still included a tumbling handicap for the International divisions (I believe tumbling was worth MUCH less than it was in the senior club divisions). As far as I know, most international teams still don't have spring floor, which is why ICU doesn't use spring floor for their comp. Appropriate facilities, well, I know that's getting better but still..maybe we drop the 'top 3' handicap but keep the tumbling one? Or lessen the tumbling one slightly and make it a top 4 handicap? I don't think one year we should still have it and one year do away completely but maybe we can slowly start lowering it every 2 years or so. Give them time to start building up their numbers more and having their younger kids who might be in it for a good couple of years develop their skills..they're not QUITE up to American levels in tumbling yet but there's definite improvement (if you go check out the videos in the International thread, they're moving on up).

I think if only top 10 were taken to finals, it would make the whole event more exciting. It would make it so almost every single team competing you WANT to see. No sitting down and wasting your time with teams that barely scratched through in 19th place that have no real shot at winning. No offence to anyone, I just think the majority of spectators at Worlds, especially day 2, are there to see the top teams, the big names, not the small senior team that looked like it was thrown together 3 days before hand that somehow managed to hit and make it into finals in last place. (I know this isn't always the case, Rockstar Beatles were 17th day 1 in 2011)

This can be said for international too......js

In gymnastics, only a certain amount of athletes from each country are allowed to compete in the individual event and all around finals. If you look at the US, we probably have anywhere from 2-5 gymnasts that are in the top 10 for any given event, however only 2/3 are allowed to compete in finals.

In gymnastics, only a certain amount of athletes from each country are allowed to compete in the individual event and all around finals. If you look at the US, we probably have anywhere from 2-5 gymnasts that are in the top 10 for any given event, however only 2/3 are allowed to compete in finals.
Yes, but that's the individual competitions. Everyone is allowed to compete for the team competition. This is different than worlds because there are no individual competitions, it's just teams. If seven of the top 10 teams happen to come from America, I see no problem with putting all of them to the finals. They're the top teams.

Yes, but that's the individual competitions. Everyone is allowed to compete for the team competition. This is different than worlds because there are no individual competitions, it's just teams. If seven of the top 10 teams happen to come from America, I see no problem with putting all of them to the finals. They're the top teams.
Well they only allow 1 team from each country for gymnastics right?

Well they only allow 1 team from each country for gymnastics right?
well yes, but this isn't the olympics...or gymnastics. In IAG6 the viqueens competed as the viqueens, right? Not as Norway?
Both of the above are correct. The ICU is country vs country. Only one team per country is allowed.

In other world events where there are not national sponsored teams, there can be multiple teams from the same country.

So...in a competition like IAG6 or IOC5, why do they restrict the number of teams per country that are able to reach finals? It makes no sense and it's not fair to American teams that do well. You aren't competing as your country, you're competing as a gym.

Someone should make a gym exactly on the Canadian border and use equal number of athletes from Canada and the US...what would the USASF do then!? :p

What I was trying to say for the olympics is that there are plenty of skilled american gymnasts. Enough that more than 2 can make the top 10. You don't see the other gymnasts complaining that didn't make event finals. They may have been 5th overall in qualifiers, but didn't make it to finals.

I'm trying to say it happens in other instances. Nothing is like cheerleading, so i understand your defense "well thats not the same", but i think it is fairly similar.

So...in a competition like IAG6 or IOC5, why do they restrict the number of teams per country that are able to reach finals? It makes no sense and it's not fair to American teams that do well. You aren't competing as your country, you're competing as a gym.

Someone should make a gym exactly on the Canadian border and use equal number of athletes from Canada and the US...what would the USASF do then!? :p

Probably have them represent the country in which they got their bid.

Maybe they should just make a division for older kids that is not International and is run just like the other divisions. The International division is growing in this country and to only allow 3 teams into finals is crazy. You have SO many good teams that deserve to go to finals and deserve to compete there.

Back