All-Star Worst Deductions Ever/can You Even Be Deducted For This?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Okay I agree with profanity. Swearing at a spotter (as frustrating as some may be) should be penalized, maybe not deducted from your score? I know it's happened to girls I know on my high school team like.. 4 years ago, one busted a tumbling pass and hurt herself and mouthed the F word, someone saw it, said out loud "did she just say f***" and a judge heard, and they deducted.
Question: did Spirit of Texas large limited get deducted or talked to about one of their baskets in 09 at Worlds? I know one did kinda the same thing that someone posted here where her head went down below her waist in a kick double.

it's here at 1:05 on the left if you're curious

They should have, but it may have been excused. The situation before that was being discussed was at a high school competition.

I sort of understand a deduction in that situation only because high school teams (or ones I have seen) have a tendency to put skills on the floor that are no where near ready. I could see being a judge and deducting for safety reasons. If her head is below her hips in a kick double, it probably shouldn't be performed. Maybe it was more of a safety precaution/warning.

In the case of Worlds, judges may not pay as much attention to this because they are not as concerned about safety precautions. Not tha they aren't concerned about safety, but you can usually assume that a Worlds Level 5 coach (that has been USASF certified as they have to be) knows what is safe and what is not safe to put on the floor. ESPECIALLY in the case of SOT because their coaches are top notch.

I don't know if that was clear. Do people understand what I'm trying to get at?

They should have, but it may have been excused. The situation before that was being discussed was at a high school competition.

I sort of understand a deduction in that situation only because high school teams (or ones I have seen) have a tendency to put skills on the floor that are no where near ready. I could see being a judge and deducting for safety reasons. If her head is below her hips in a kick double, it probably shouldn't be performed. Maybe it was more of a safety precaution/warning.

In the case of Worlds, judges may not pay as much attention to this because they are not as concerned about safety precautions. Not tha they aren't concerned about safety, but you can usually assume that a Worlds Level 5 coach (that has been USASF certified as they have to be) knows what is safe and what is not safe to put on the floor. ESPECIALLY in the case of SOT because their coaches are top notch.

I don't know if that was clear. Do people understand what I'm trying to get at?

I see what you mean here, and I think this was kinda just a freak accident, it was put in another thread like last year that she performed it properly on another run that weekend, but I was just curious if they got deducted. I know they wouldn't be as strict as high school, but I think something like this (whether it was just kinda a one-time thing or not) should at least be mentioned by a judge.

My team was going to be deducted for a doing "one back tuck basket without a backspot during the opening sequence". What we actually did was THREE dual based lib back tuck cradles (this is lvl6). My coaches didn't hear the call out so I went & made to judges watch the replay. I was having NONE of it! least to say, I was proved correct & we didn't get deducted. However, not surprisingly, we didn't win. I dread to think what other elements of our routine they didn't give marks for if an entire panel of judges deducted for a move that wasn't even performed. Most biased competition I've ever been to!

Most british comps are so biased -.-

That same thing happened to me last season! The judges said that we were acting too confident and smiling too much in our routine but they would "let is slide" this time. It was a local comp so my coach just laughed it off. Last I checked you're supposed to be confident with your routine and it's okay to smile or get excited when you hit a perfect routine but hey, what do I know?

Snap! I remenber the comment being 'Too smiley'.
Uh what?! hahaha

For high school cheerleading in Missouri, the rules at State and Regionals are very strict! You can get deducted before the routine even starts by:
*your hair or bow touching your shoulders, face, or any other part of your body

During the routine:

*Your hair or bow touching any part of your body.

so even if your hair is in a pony tail and your pony is long enough to touch your back you get deducted!??!

... Extended two-legged stunts braced on both sides with hand-arm connection are not illegal in pyramids in level 1. But did you get a "deduction" for that? Or did you not score as high as you expected on the pyramid section (maybe you had a lower degree of difficulty score)? Because, in my mind, deductions are things that you get for doing something illegal/against the rules that take away from your total score (ie, 10 point safety deduction) while just not doing a skill that hits the highest skill on the score sheet would be more of a reduced score (to me). I'm not sure if I'm making sense, lol, but it would be weird to me to get a deduction for not doing a certain skill.

well the thing is, they said extended "body positions" (meaning lib/stetch/hitch). we did extensions, just no body positions at extended level because it was illegal! hahaha... i sometimes wonder what is going through judges minds when they watch a routine. and yes, we got a 4 point deduction. CRAZY! :confused:

"silly" Deductions like this are made and enforced to protect the integrity of our sport. You you cuss at a spotter on the mat, you SHOULD be deducted, because not only are you making your team look bad, your attitude puts a negative shadow on cheerleading in general. Out of bounds is a rule I really think all competitions should enforce. Not only is tumbling off the mat ridiculous, but it is also a safety issue. jewelry and fake nails are also a safety issue. Every little deduction, no matter how silly it seems has a purpose.

so even if your hair is in a pony tail and your pony is long enough to touch your back you get deducted!??!
Yeah, it's really stupid. My team never got deducted for sill things like that and this is what we did:
*french braid bangs
*Put hair into a high ponytail
*Put lots of gel in our ponytails
*Used small sponge rollers and curled our whole ponytail
*Hairspray the poo out of everything
*Slept on it (very uncomfortable I will add)
*Next morning hairspray your hair (still in curlers)
*Take all the rollers out
*Put your bow in
*Pin down all of your curls and bow. We each used almost a whole pack of bobby pins.

For each curl, piece of hair, or bow that touches your neck/face/shoulders it is a five point deduction. Right after warm ups and before pictures we would all shake out heads around and pin all of the curls down that had been unpinned during warm ups. It is the dummest rule I've ever heard but so many teams don't listen and get deducated for it. Most all of the girls on my team had either very long hair or very short hair so it was difficult to make it work but we made sure we wouldn't lose state for something so stupid.

Here is the link to the rules/penalties/bonus/comments sheets that the Judges use at our state/regionals competitions:
http://missouricheercoaches.org/pb/wp_c34501ec/wp_c34501ec.html

To add to the profanity deduction, my teams have also had deductions for glitter in the hair, removing uniform top before leaving floor, covering belly button ring with band-aid and deduction for appearance, because someone wore a bright pink sports bra under her white uniform top.
Most of these make sense to me. The only one that doesn't really is the pink sports bra...but I'm wondering more why she thought that would be okay? Ha.

Yeah, it's really stupid. My team never got deducted for sill things like that and this is what we did:
*french braid bangs
*Put hair into a high ponytail
*Put lots of gel in our ponytails
*Used small sponge rollers and curled our whole ponytail
*Hairspray the poo out of everything
*Slept on it (very uncomfortable I will add)
*Next morning hairspray your hair (still in curlers)
*Take all the rollers out
*Put your bow in
*Pin down all of your curls and bow. We each used almost a whole pack of bobby pins.

For each curl, piece of hair, or bow that touches your neck/face/shoulders it is a five point deduction. Right after warm ups and before pictures we would all shake out heads around and pin all of the curls down that had been unpinned during warm ups. It is the dummest rule I've ever heard but so many teams don't listen and get deducated for it. Most all of the girls on my team had either very long hair or very short hair so it was difficult to make it work but we made sure we wouldn't lose state for something so stupid.

Here is the link to the rules/penalties/bonus/comments sheets that the Judges use at our state/regionals competitions:
http://missouricheercoaches.org/pb/wp_c34501ec/wp_c34501ec.html
Thanks for explaining! seems insane !! we dont have that many competitive high school teams here in the uk, mostly allstar and ive seen some teams compete with their whole hair down!! (i didnt like it was all in their face and was a mess when they tumbled) ive never seen rules like this!

Thanks for explaining! seems insane !! we dont have that many competitive high school teams here in the uk, mostly allstar and ive seen some teams compete with their whole hair down!! (i didnt like it was all in their face and was a mess when they tumbled) ive never seen rules like this!
As far as I know, most states don't have these crazy hair rules and ours are only for competition. But Missouri is just very old fashioned in how they do cheerleading!

Back