All-Star You Might Be A Crazy Cheer Mom If...... (confession Time)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I also think that a lot of gyms put the death ball fulls in the routine just so they can advertise the fact that they have a Level 5/Worlds team team.

They don't want kids with fulls/doubles (no matter how janky) to go elsewhere.

Ex: I am convinced that certain gyms who don't make it out of prelims have a Worlds team just to accommodate one or two kids who have doubles.

They don't want kids with fulls/doubles (no matter how janky) to go elsewhere.

Ex: I am convinced that certain gyms who don't make it out of prelims have a Worlds team just to accommodate one or two kids who have doubles.

But that comes from the culture of 'you grew up here, you can't leave'. If you make a true solid or close to it level 5 compete level 4, they're going to either get bored and quit or switch gyms. We had girls who were some of the first girls in the gym, leave senior and junior years of HS because they wanted a chance to really compete their true levels, and were ripped apart.

But that comes from the culture of 'you grew up here, you can't leave'. If you make a true solid or close to it level 5 compete level 4, they're going to either get bored and quit or switch gyms. We had girls who were some of the first girls in the gym, leave senior and junior years of HS because they wanted a chance to really compete their true levels, and were ripped apart.

What do you mean by "ripped apart"? Their confidence? Skills ripped apart with a reality check?

Spinning Death Star fulls are almost always the result of not working the layout and getting it high/hollow enough.

They're ripping it for dear life to get around because they are nowhere near high enough to fully complete the twist.
I cringe whenever I see that... like, if your feet are trying to hit the ground before your face does, you're not high enough.
That's sad. I've never understood why people get so up in arms over an athlete changing gyms for convenience or training opportunities. I remember the outrage on Twitter when Ashley Wilson moved from Cheer Athletics to Woodlands. People were calling her a traitor, saying she wasn't loyal, etc. Getting mad as if they were the ones driving her to practice and paying her cheer tuition. Based on what I had heard, she changed gyms for the sake of time; apparently she was having to stay in hotels very frequently, and her schedule made it hard for her to balance everything (school, cheer, etc.). I don't get why people feel the need to make someone feel guilty for switching gyms.

That's sad. I've never understood why people get so up in arms over an athlete changing gyms for convenience or training opportunities. I remember the outrage on Twitter when Ashley Wilson moved from Cheer Athletics to Woodlands. People were calling her a traitor, saying she wasn't loyal, etc. Getting mad as if they were the ones driving her to practice and paying her cheer tuition. Based on what I had heard, she changed gyms for the sake of time; apparently she was having to stay in hotels very frequently, and her schedule made it hard for her to balance everything (school, cheer, etc.). I don't get why people feel the need to make someone feel guilty for switching gyms.

I don't understand it either. It's up to the athlete and the parent to make that decision. However, I do think there is a proper and respectful manner of making a switch. Maybe that's where the drama comes from. If it's done in a sneaky or unethical manner.

I don't understand it either. It's up to the athlete and the parent to make that decision. However, I do think there is a proper and respectful manner of making a switch. Maybe that's where the drama comes from. If it's done in a sneaky or unethical manner.
Yeah, I can see an athlete's voluntary departure mid-season (esp. right before a comp) being viewed as unsavory, but between seasons (especially before choreo)? People need to get over themselves.

Spinning Death Star fulls are almost always the result of not working the layout and getting it high/hollow enough.

They're ripping it for dear life to get around because they are nowhere near high enough to fully complete the twist.
We saw a lot of fulls this weekend in R5 division where feet land and head is by knees, don't know how some
Of them even did it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the fans create a lot of drama, sometimes more than the gym itself. Typically, when a big name athlete leaves a gym, people on fierce board and twitter start their own story about why "susie superstar" left gym A for gym B. And then the rumors start and fires start burning and bridges fall.
There is always a way to leave a gym respectfully. And even if an athlete leaves in a crummy manner, it's up to the gyms to uphold a level of respect and keep the peace.

I feel like the fans create a lot of drama, sometimes more than the gym itself. Typically, when a big name athlete leaves a gym, people on fierce board and twitter start their own story about why "susie superstar" left gym A for gym B. And then the rumors start and fires start burning and bridges fall.
There is always a way to leave a gym respectfully. And even if an athlete leaves in a crummy manner, it's up to the gyms to uphold a level of respect and keep the peace.
You would be amazed at how bad it is for little Susie unknown when they leave a gym they have been with a long time.

**CP's World Diet started today. Wonder what he can eat for $2/day**

It goes both ways, if an athlete finishes the season and leaves due to not feeling like that a gym is the right choice then the coaches should not bully that athlete on social media and encourage past team members to also. We went thru this 3 years ago with an athlete who came to us due to the way she was treated by coaches at a gym not far from us.

What do you mean by "ripped apart"? Their confidence? Skills ripped apart with a reality check?
I took that to mean ripped apart for leaving/deserting their gym by the team they left by word-of-mouth and over social media.

By the gym for leaving the program.

Essentially, what I'm noticing is that so many of the issues in cheer are intertwined. Skills-is on gym quality, athlete's natural ability. When the skill is too great for the gym, or quality is lacking people are likely to leave. In addition cheer is not the only thing in people's life. Cheerleading, no matter how great you are, is not a guaranteed scholarship. Sure some people will go Acro, and you'll make your college team, but first you have to have the grades. You don't have that when you don't get sleep or miss school for cheer.

To bring it back on topic- A lot of crazy mom's would sacrifice their child having a normal childhood to see them win worlds or make the top college team. I know a lot of guys who are great basketball players, but they were still normal people, had friends outside of their sports and a healthy social life.

Last edited:
The cheer world would be a better place if folks (owners, coaches, etc) remembered that gyms don't own kids.

This is a season-to-season activity.
I wonder if the kids who bash switching athletes for supposedly being disloyal grow up to be coaches and gym owners who believe that they have ownership over a kid.

I feel if a gym has enough knowledge to raise a solid level 4 athlete then the athlete and parent should trust said gym to turn them into a level 5 athlete as well. Cheer is definitely a season to season sport but if a gym loses their athletes when they start spinning the gym never has a chance to field a level five team. It's also very hard for many small gyms to stay afloat without having a worlds team on their roster.

Back