All-Star You Might Be A Crazy Cheer Mom If...... (confession Time)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

She's a gymnast correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it cause she's wearing a Leo, but a cheer layout should still look a lot more like that than the whip she did before the layout. It seems that when I watch level 4 teams more of their layouts looks like pikes or whips than they do layouts. It takes a lot of time to get a good layout, but it's fairly quick to go from a running tuck to a pike or whip - I'm sure this is why we see it so much. The working of fulls should never even begin until the layout at least looks in the same ballpark of that video. If not, bad things can happen :(.

Looks like it cause she's wearing a Leo, but a cheer layout should still look a lot more like that than the whip she did before the layout. It seems that when I watch level 4 teams more of their layouts looks like pikes or whips than they do layouts. It takes a lot of time to get a good layout, but it's fairly quick to go from a running tuck to a pike or whip - I'm sure this is why we see it so much. The working of fulls should never even begin until the layout at least looks in the same ballpark of that video. If not, bad things can happen :(.
Cheer layout "should" look like that but most will not! That's difference of that gymnast layout and cheer ones and always will be. Gymnastics is about progression, and perfecting a skill before moving on.

. The working of fulls should never even begin until the layout at least looks in the same ballpark of that video. If not, bad things can happen :(.

I totally agree with you on this and I'm not a coach! I've seen some pretty ugly fulls and I'm sure it's because the athlete never really learned a proper layout. The fulls I'm referring to are those low flying spinning balls of "Geez I hope they don't get hurt landing". My cp recently started working on her full, but her coach wouldn't let her even begin drills for a full until he was satisfied with her absolute minimal piking in the layout and correct hand placement 100% of the time. When I watch level 4 teams perform I see those weird looking low flying pikes/whips that are supposed to be layouts! Are judges not deducting points on technique because I see more bad layouts than good ones?? But when you see the occasional good layout the ones where the athlete looks like they are straight as a board and gliding in the air....it's a thing of beauty!

I totally agree with you on this and I'm not a coach! I've seen some pretty ugly fulls and I'm sure it's because the athlete never really learned a proper layout. The fulls I'm referring to are those low flying spinning balls of "Geez I hope they don't get hurt landing". My cp recently started working on her full, but her coach wouldn't let her even begin drills for a full until he was satisfied with her absolute minimal piking in the layout and correct hand placement 100% of the time. When I watch level 4 teams perform I see those weird looking low flying pikes/whips that are supposed to be layouts! Are judges not deducting points on technique because I see more bad layouts than good ones?? But when you see the occasional good layout the ones where the athlete looks like they are straight as a board and gliding in the air....it's a thing of beauty!
And without a good set you can't even get that beautiful layout. I think thats why we see so many whirling balls of death masquerading as a full, they have no set. A layout with proper technique is truly a thing of beauty.

I just spit my coffee laughing at this!! But this is the best description of those "fulls" we see!!!

You got to give them credit though for being fearless and brave in the face of the likelihood that they will fall and experience pain - maybe even injury. Tougher than football players some of these girls are! I'm being serious and not hating, really - that takes some real guts to throw some of those fulls that you see at comps.

So much pressure to have level 5 tumbling in AS cheer though - not enough fulls, no worlds for you. I don't know what the answer is though. Does anyone think a senior 5.3 division at Worlds (w/ a minimim age of like 14 to stop all the SMs) would reduce janky fulls some?

So much pressure to have level 5 tumbling in AS cheer though - not enough fulls, no worlds for you. I don't know what the answer is though. Does anyone think a senior 5.3 division at Worlds (w/ a minimim age of like 14 to stop all the SMs) would reduce janky fulls some?

I think the only thing that will stop janky fulls or janky tumbling period is when the judges actually start deduction points for technique. Other than that the athletes will continue to be pushed harder to throw skills they may or may not be ready to throw and compete with.

I was working on my full but some of the coaches told me to work on layouts cause my legs weren't straight :p

for parents not great at period/body function discussion or honestly anyone with CP's approaching that age, American Girl (doll company)'s book The Care and Keeping of You is an awesome guide that made up for a lot of the lack of communication in this area from my mom; or it could be used as a great tool to guide your discussion. Highly recommend.

I had that book

And without a good set you can't even get that beautiful layout. I think thats why we see so many whirling balls of death masquerading as a full, they have no set. A layout with proper technique is truly a thing of beauty.
At our old gym, cp was working hard on her full last Spring. She was close (I thought) but never did it on the floor without a heavy spot. We joined a new gym in the summer, and I was wondering why they never let her twist at class...it was layout after layout after layout. Cp said that she needed to change her layout. I was like WTF? You've had a layout for two years. Anyway, I did notice in her L4 routine that her layout was looking really good and high, better than I had ever seen it. This week she finally got her full on the floor...it was so high and lovely. A friend told me THAT is the difference a good, patient coach and strong tumbling coaching skills can make. I'm a believer. :)

At our old gym, cp was working hard on her full last Spring. She was close (I thought) but never did it on the floor without a heavy spot. We joined a new gym in the summer, and I was wondering why they never let her twist at class...it was layout after layout after layout. Cp said that she needed to change her layout. I was like WTF? You've had a layout for two years. Anyway, I did notice in her L4 routine that her layout was looking really good and high, better than I had ever seen it. This week she finally got her full on the floor...it was so high and lovely. A friend told me THAT is the difference a good, patient coach and strong tumbling coaching skills can make. I'm a believer. :)
Some coaches rush the athlete to get a skill for the points. A good coach will make sure they r ready for it and under stand the dynamics first.

I think people fail to realize that any airborne skill is amazing, and incredibly difficult. I think tumbling has been overemphasized in the skill, not the technique, and so many people forget about other things that make great athletes. Maybe because tumbling is individual and 'obvious.' I think there needs to be an emphasis on level 4 just as much as level 5. Senior 4 should really be treated as a precursor to level 5, not just the place to compete before you have solid level 5 skills. High pretty layouts, strong stunting.

I have been a level 4 athlete for most of my teen years, and that's okay. I have never worked fulls because my layout is not where it needs to be for a full. Could I twist from my layout? Yes. But I shouldn't and there are so many coaches that just wants a full that they would set their athlete up to fail.

Back