All-Star Crazy Cheer Parent Stories--spill 'em!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Who is letting cheerleaders make these types of decisions? It perplexes me greatly when I hear people saying that the cheerleaders are telling other cheerleaders what to wear, where to stand, etc (captain or not.) Is this typical for captains?

Full-disclosure: I have not had captains in quite some time, and even when I did, they certainly did not have the authority to bench anyone.
For us it was the coach asking the seniors what we wanted to wear to school. If she didn't like our choice she would change it (she didn't like us wearing our uniforms to school so that's why we rarely did except when we had assembly's.) And we would get a general feel for what the team wanted before we told her anything. So it was hardly our decision at all except that we were the ones voicing it. We didn't really have any power to do anything if someone didn't wear what they were supposed to, other than telling the coach who could scold them. And this was "too much control for the seniors" and wearing matching tshirts was "detrimental to the team" because Susie was the one person who didn't feel like wearing that shirt that day. -_-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is letting cheerleaders make these types of decisions? It perplexes me greatly when I hear people saying that the cheerleaders are telling other cheerleaders what to wear, where to stand, etc (captain or not.) Is this typical for captains?

Full-disclosure: I have not had captains in quite some time, and even when I did, they certainly did not have the authority to bench anyone.

Our seniors designed our t-shirts, picked out our camp clothes, and designed our state rings (had to be under $150). I'm assuming it was also cleared with our coach but I didn't cheer my senior year so I'm not sure what the path of communication was for that. Pretty sure that they also decided what we were going to wear for games during basketball season (we always wore uniforms during football season) but it was usually something they asked the team (and gave us options), then made the "official" choice.

I never had a problem with it when I was cheering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I was competing (I'm a happily retired cheer aunt) I saw a mother yank her child off the mat by her ponytail for falling out of her stunt.

This was back many years, at a youth league (town cheer) competition. The gym cp went to would exhibit during breaks (her coaches were all judges there). Suzie's dad decided that Suzie was not getting enough individual attention that day so he took her out to the middle of the mat to one-man his wet noodle flyer of a cp.

There is always at least one one parent who is outside the gym area the day of tryouts having their kid practice the dance and/or cheer 4 times in the parking lot 10 minutes before the doors open (and critiquing everything.)

I don't think you're crazy, but 10 minutes before a tryout is probably not the best time for "let's critique everything." If your kid doesn't know it by then, no amount of parental parking lot coaching is going to get her top scores on it. You should probably be spending that time encouraging her and helping her to stay calm mentally.

See also: critiquing jumps in the parking lot. Stop.

Retired gym owner here...crazy cheer mom who complained about everything...complained that her child's coach who was well over 21 should not have a facebook profile picture holding a beer...was in poor taste...reminded crazy cheer mom...she packed a margarita machine for travel trips...fight over :)

Years ago... a cheer mom showed up at my personal residence at 3am ... Knocking at my door and ringing the door bell in full "go out gear" with her friend... My husband urged me to answer after we watched from the window laughing for 10 minutes...I didn't answer and she finally left... We never spoke of it:confused:

I was just thinking that! Yawn...snoozefest here compared to the stories in the parent section ;)

Let's meet in person and the snoozefest is definitely over. But there are stories I'll never share publicly to protect the kids. The cheer community is small over here and I don't want any kid reading up on these stories in a couple of years and being embarrassed for their parents.

My favorite crazy parents are the ones who mark the whole routine right in front of the mat, though.:cheering:

Hey now! I am totally guilty of this with my DP until I catch myself doing it---I stay conscious about it enough with CP to not do it. I am visually minded and even though I was never really the best dancer so to speak, I was generally the best at picking up choreography or choreo changes so all I have to do is watch it once and I knew it. I've found as a mom, once I've seen the routine 2-3 times I know every part. Sadly, I could still mark out CP's entire first Tiny cheer routine.

*Hangs head*

You should see the thread we have on you all in the parent area.

So true!

Let's meet in person and the snoozefest is definitely over. But there are stories I'll never share publicly to protect the kids. The cheer community is small over here and I don't want any kid reading up on these stories in a couple of years and being embarrassed for their parents.

Remind me, are you coming to World's this year?

Back