All-Star I Dont Get It.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think this is a fine approach. My CP was always happy to wear the Twister name proudly. They also had plenty of spirit wear available with their team names. The level 5's have earned their uniforms (and their parents have earned the right to pay for them ;)).

That's where i feel favoritism keeps coming into play. Just because a cheerleader doesn't necessarily have the ability to compete level 5 does not mean that they shouldn't have earned their uniforms. I understand that level 5 is where everyone strives to be and where most people like to watch, i do too. But about all those girls who cannot get past their level for whatever reason, an injury, an illness, physical ability, etc. All of the cheerleaders have earned their place on their teams. They worked hard to get there, whatever that level may be. So why shouldn't they receive a little bit better of a treatment than they do? And i'm not saying gym owners don't care at all and they go out looking stupid, but when you see these girls with uniforms that took hours to design, you may look at your own and think, maybe not as much time was thought thinking about me and the rest of the gym.

I understand how a different uniform for every team sounds like a good idea, but what happens when someone gets injured and someone several sizes larger or smaller than them has to fill in, and there's only one available uniform? What happens when a boy on a coed team gets injured and a girl is the only one able to fill in for him?

We have multiple teams with guys, so we generally can have another guy fill in. We also have a few extras of uniforms made in each design, so there are some options if we need a last-minute substitution. Also, the "stretchiness" of the new uniform styles let a single size fit a wider range of body types than traditional uniforms if need be.

I hate level 5 teams getting better uni's, but I'm all for different uniforms by age and not by skill.

That's where i feel favoritism keeps coming into play. Just because a cheerleader doesn't necessarily have the ability to compete level 5 does not mean that they shouldn't have earned their uniforms. I understand that level 5 is where everyone strives to be and where most people like to watch, i do too. But about all those girls who cannot get past their level for whatever reason, an injury, an illness, physical ability, etc. All of the cheerleaders have earned their place on their teams. They worked hard to get there, whatever that level may be. So why shouldn't they receive a little bit better of a treatment than they do? And i'm not saying gym owners don't care at all and they go out looking stupid, but when you see these girls with uniforms that took hours to design, you may look at your own and think, maybe not as much time was thought thinking about me and the rest of the gym.

My CP (who is now off to college and no longer cheering) never reached level 5. And I don't believe she felt the least bit slighted by the uniform she wore. As a level 3 and level 4 cheerleader she received instruction and coaching from some of the best coaches (cheer & tumbling) in the industry. That said her gym did put a lot of time and effort into coming up with a good looking uniform for the level 1 - 4 teams. They also listened to parents concerns about having to buy a new uniform every year. So they plan to have these uniforms for two year cycles, which allows the majority of the gym to not have to purchase a new uniform every year, but at the same time gives these kids something to look forward to (it is always fun to get a new uni!). My guess is that if a cheerleader feels that favoritism is a problem at their gym, the uniform is only a "last straw", not the real problem... may be time to look for another gym? JMO

This is the nature of competitive sports. The higher level you are, the better the perks. In some gyms, one of those perks is getting to wear a special uniform. In others, it might be getting to go to special competitions or camps that other teams don't get to. That isn't denigrating the kids on lower levels, it's rewarding those that reached the higher ones.

to tell you the truth i dont like the idea of teams in one gym having a different uniform. i feel that if you all have the same uniform you are all more like a family i guess? but its a different story where at worlds 11' F5, ACE, ect. had a different uni for both days. i would also think it would cost more money

while i understand that gyms like having a different uniform across the board, i think it gets to be too much.

i think it's cute when the little kids have a "kid friendly" uniform, very minimal if any cut outs and maybe no crop top. and then the older kids have a flashier uniform or a crop top, but that's about the extent of my preference. it gets too confusing when a gym has 5 different uniforms because i can never tell which ones belong to which gym and who's who.

in my opinion, stingrays have the right idea going on. all teams get the same uniform. it's classy and sassy, and absolutely adorable while being appropriate for all ages.

This is the nature of competitive sports. The higher level you are, the better the perks. In some gyms, one of those perks is getting to wear a special uniform. In others, it might be getting to go to special competitions or camps that other teams don't get to. That isn't denigrating the kids on lower levels, it's rewarding those that reached the higher ones.

In many of the other sports around my area (hockey, football, rec cheerleading) you get the better perks as you age out of a level. We have rules for aging out, but then we have different levels for the different age groups. In rec cheerleading in my town, there's taxi, peewee, jv and varsity. Varsity gets to go to exhibition and sanbowl, rewards only they get, because they are older. Not because they're the better team (some years, they may be the worst). This is the same with football. And hockey. They get more perks as their age progresses, no matter how good the team may be. So, I'm not saying cheerleading should start being like these sports and reward by age, I feel all the children should be rewarded somewhat equally. Yes the level 5's may be a little bit more sparkly and unique, but some gyms just don't seem to care much about the younger teams uniform wise. I'm just saying the uniform is the icing on the cake. If you look good, you're going to feel good. And that could help at competitions. JMO

when i first read this i thought it said "dont get it..."
-and i thought outloud TWISTED! :p

i like when everyone has the same uniform because it makes it so much more unified. this year our full year teams got new uniforms and to cut down on costs the half year teams kept the same uniform so they could buy our old uniforms. i felt it separated us as a program because then you can tell who was on full competitive and who wasn't. however, it did make me feel a little more special because those girls all looked up to me and were like wow she is on one of the higher teams at our gym.

In many of the other sports around my area (hockey, football, rec cheerleading) you get the better perks as you age out of a level. We have rules for aging out, but then we have different levels for the different age groups. In rec cheerleading in my town, there's taxi, peewee, jv and varsity. Varsity gets to go to exhibition and sanbowl, rewards only they get, because they are older. Not because they're the better team (some years, they may be the worst). This is the same with football. And hockey. They get more perks as their age progresses, no matter how good the team may be. So, I'm not saying cheerleading should start being like these sports and reward by age, I feel all the children should be rewarded somewhat equally. Yes the level 5's may be a little bit more sparkly and unique, but some gyms just don't seem to care much about the younger teams uniform wise. I'm just saying the uniform is the icing on the cake. If you look good, you're going to feel good. And that could help at competitions. JMO

In the same turn it seems rec sports are the only ones where you are rewarded simply on age alone. When I think teams and perks I think things like. A Farm League baseball player will make money from the sport, however NO WHERE near as much as a MLB player. Thus the Farm League player is being recognized and rewarded for his efforts, however the MLB player who is just better within the same sport is rewarded more. Ultimately I feel like people try to make cheer a lot like little league tee-ball, where a game consists of everyone getting a chance to bat and both teams win. People want every cheerleader to be treated like they're level 5. If that's the case and there is no "perk" other than one exclusive competition a year, why would athletes bother pushing for level 5 when they get everything they would want at 5 at level 3? We want to be treated like a sport but don't want to act like one. In sports across the board there is a level play system in some way shape or form, the higher the level the more recognition you receive. Thus your best Uniform, whether you agree or disagree, would go to your most recognized team, which like it or not is going to for the most part be your Level 5 team (or in smaller gyms your highest level team). At our gym where we all have the same uniform and for the most part the Level 5's Worlds uni's are just tweaks of the current uni, the push to be on Supers it their wardrobe lol. It's kind of a known fact that being on Super Seniors means clearing out your closet to make room for the entire Fame Allstars Fall and Spring Super's Collection. Ok rant over I apologize for dragging on lol.

Latest posts

Back