All-Star #smoedisback Atv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When my mom and I drove up for the first time you should have heard us try to pronounce all the names on the signs we passed :oops: She pronounced it something like Sca-needle-lays. Nonetheless, it took me a long time to figure out what towns people were talking about in conversation because how they were saying them was not what I imagined. Now I have to learn Long Island. Such a learning experience :p

You'll be a pro in no time ;) I have faith

I blame the Native Americans and their tricky words[emoji14]When I try to spell it I have to say "Scan-E-A-teles" in my head... even if that's not how you pronounce it. I still dont know how to say a handful of places. Or spell them correctly :oops: Don't even ask me about Long Island names because NOPE!

MA has some head scratchers too.
When I moved to SC, I've never heard so many people not even be able to pronounce Massachusetts. They'd say "mass-ah-chew-zits" and "massive two sh**s". Not even kidding :confused: I started saying I was from Mass. and they'd follow my lead and just call it Mass.

When I moved to SC, I've never heard so many people not even be able to pronounce Massachusetts. They'd say "mass-ah-chew-zits" and "massive two sh**s". Not even kidding :confused: I started saying I was from Mass. and they'd follow my lead and just call it Mass.
Confession: I still dont know how to spell Massachusetts properly without spell check... I usually just use the MA abbreviation so I don't look like even more of an idiot lol

I was just informed like a month ago that Woburn is pronounced Woo-burn. Internally, I still say Woe-burn because I refuse to assimilate and use your crazy pronunciations[emoji14]

bj7bwo.jpg

Not to derail. but they have host families.

I know it's not unique but I wonder how one becomes a host family?

Do you just agree to have kids live with you? How do you work out expenses with the out-of-state parents?

I know how it works in sports like soccer but have little to no experience with cheer host families.

If one of those two options isn't correct, then lump me and everyone I've ever met into the people that should just say Mass. I literally struggle bus to pronounce it. However, in my defensive, I don't think I've ever heard it correctly to learn from.

Not to derail. but they have host families.

I know it's not unique but I wonder how one becomes a host family?

Do you just agree to have kids live with you? How do you work out expenses with the out-of-state parents?

I know how it works in sports like soccer but have little to no experience with cheer host families.

they volunteer. how much they're willing to take on financially depends on the family. the main three costs are housing, food and transport to the gym, and i'd imagine that the host family would offer free housing and the other two things would be negotiated between the two families.

Confession: I still dont know how to spell Massachusetts properly without spell check... I usually just use the MA abbreviation so I don't look like even more of an idiot lol

I was just informed like a month ago that Woburn is pronounced Woo-burn. Internally, I still say Woe-burn because I refuse to assimilate and use your crazy pronunciations[emoji14]
Haha I'm from Woburn! Most people here say it without the r, so it sounds like "woo-bin"

they volunteer. how much they're willing to take on financially depends on the family. the main three costs are housing, food and transport to the gym, and i'd imagine that the host family would offer free housing and the other two things would be negotiated between the two families.
We are a host family. Without getting into to much detail (as I'm sure each Cali location may be different), we received a small gym credit at the beginning of the year and set monthly amount from the host child's family for basically room/board, food and gas.

I know this thread has been derailed... But I prefer to consider it "Commercial talk"
-the convo you have completely irrelevant to the show you're watching while you and your friends watch together on the phone and a commercial comes on.
It's simply a commercial break... We are waiting for the next SMOED episode and I'm just over here waiting for someone to say

"shhhhh, it's back in its back on!...

Then it's back on track with:
"OMG, Maddie Looks so Skinny"...
"Do you think Pay will be Healthy enough in time for Worlds?"
"Eddie flipped a brow after that TD!"

I know this thread has been derailed... But I prefer to consider it "Commercial talk"
-the convo you have completely irrelevant to the show you're watching while you and your friends watch together on the phone and a commercial comes on.
It's simply a commercial break... We are waiting for the next SMOED episode and I'm just over here waiting for someone to say

"shhhhh, it's back in its back on!...

Then it's back on track with:
"OMG, Maddie Looks so Skinny"...
"Do you think Pay will be Healthy enough in time for Worlds?"
"Eddie flipped a brow after that TD!"
Love that term... "commercial talk" is the perfect description!

Back