All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not that I have heard of, but again, I will say that I would NEVER allow them to drug test my athlete. With all of the other mistakes, issues, etc, I definitely wouldn't want them having that kind of power. Not to be snarky, but the typos on the Worlds package do not instill confidence that they could get drug testing correct.
I don't think that random drug testing would necessarily stop me from having my kids participate, but I'm not sure I would trust it either. I'm also not sure there would be much of a point in drug testing. THC, in particular, stays in the system for quite some time, so it would require all sorts of extra policies besides just "don't do drugs while competing" or "don't do drugs during the season", which im not sure is right for the industry to do.

I would be fine with my (hypothetical) child being drug tested. I mean, I would be sure that they were not cheering and doing drugs so I would have nothing to worry about. I would also be fine with being drug tested, because I know it would be clean.

ETA-Didn't see the part about the innacuracies. That would be hard if they thought someone tested positive and then they disqualified them, but it was actually a false positive.

I mean...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something done by an outside company anyway? I'm not expecting Jeff Webb to wait outside the door while I pee in a cup (hypothetically. If I was a worlds athlete).

When I was drug tested for my job, I had to go to an outside facility.

They do random testing of athletes at ICU. Not sure how many people they test though.
Do you happen to remember how it went? Or heard about it second hand?

I would be fine with my (hypothetical) child being drug tested. I mean, I would be sure that they were not cheering and doing drugs so I would have nothing to worry about. I would also be fine with being drug tested, because I know it would be clean.

ETA-Didn't see the part about the innacuracies. That would be hard if they thought someone tested positive and then they disqualified them, but it was actually a false positive.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but what could happen is if a urine sample was taken and it came positive a blod sample could also be taken which is less likely to have the same inaccuacies

I mean...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something done by an outside company anyway? I'm not expecting Jeff Webb to wait outside the door while I pee in a cup (hypothetically. If I was a worlds athlete).

Yep when I worked at London 2012 they had an outside company verified by the IOC but the chaperons were volunteers. The volunteers were there to keep an eye on the athlete until they went to the testing area then the company took over

Someone correct me if I am wrong but what could happen is if a urine sample was taken and it came positive a blod sample could also be taken which is less likely to have the same inaccuacies
In the medical world, if you test positive for a drug, they send that sample for further testing. There are certain medications that will result in positive drug tests of a "banned" substance. That is why they will test further if the initial test is positive.

An initial panel is like a screening test and further testing is more diagnostic.

I only heard of it happening once in 2013: two girls were asked to provide a sample and were taken to the bathroom with adult chaperones from the team.

I'm not sure what they test for, or the consequences of positive results.

The idea of the government body drug testing athletes when they can't even uniformly apply their own rules is beyond ludicrous.

It takes a village to raise children. Hold teenagers accountable, realise they all do stupid stuff, and trust you've raised a child with enough integrity to not step on the mat under the influence.

At the ECU Europeans in 2014 the gold-winning partnerstunt couple was tested positive and was then disqualified and stripped of their win (and I think they were also banned from ECU/ICU competitions for 2 (?) years). If I remember the announcements from back then correctly they tested the partnerstunt couples, groupstunts, and then random members of the teams for those that placed top 3.

I think if gyms actually cared more, people wouldn't expect USASF to handle this issue.

That said, no way in hell is anyone drug testing my preteen beyond me. If that is what cheer is coming to, then I'll need to rethink cheer as a long term sport.

*What did we even do before the invention of Google?*

A private school near my school district is randomly testing students, testing all student athletes, and randomly breathalyzing kids upon entrance to football games and dances.

Parents were in an uproar.

Their response was (in a nutshell) take your children to another school if you do not want them tested.

Last edited:
A private school near my school district is randomly testing students, testing all student athletes, and randomly breathalyzing kids upon entrance to football games.

Parents were in an uproar.

Their response was (in a nutshell) take your children to another school if you do not want them tested.
...Was my school the only HS in CT whose been breathalyzing us entering ALL school dances from 2003/4 (revealing my age here)? I don't know if they added it to football games (because I never really had time to go except for cheering once or twice (as a fill-in). The one time I did I was late anyway.

...Was my school the only HS in CT whose been breathalyzing us entering ALL school dances from 2003/4 (revealing my age here)? I don't know if they added it to football games (because I never really had time to go except for cheering once or twice (as a fill-in). The one time I did I was late anyway.

If we showed up chewing gum or had a mint or something we would get breathalyzed.

Both of the HS (public) my kids have attended conduct random breathalyzer testing at dances etc.
The things my retired cheerleader and I witnessed in her years of cheer (especially on level 5 teams where peeps seem more willing to look the other way than kick off the double double) might have many of you rethinking the need for testing. I wish it was handled at the gym level...but again that double double quandry...

I really have no problem with this. If my kid is ever stupid enough to pregame a school event then she will have to deal with the consequences. (I'm a little annoyed at underage drinking at the moment - cp's good friend's Sweet 16 was almost shut down this past Friday night after one kid had to be taken to the hospital for excessive drinking. Apparently there were girls who brought alcohol into the party disguised as make-up remover. Wtf?)

Both of the HS (public) my kids have attended conduct random breathalyzer testing at dances etc.
The things my retired cheerleader and I witnessed in her years of cheer (especially on level 5 teams where peeps seem more willing to look the other way than kick off the double double) might have many of you rethinking the need for testing. I wish it was handled at the gym level...but again that double double quandry...
I am all for breathalyzing. At my high school, kids routinely showed up to dances and games drunk, and one girl was caught with MDMA at school on the day of my junior prom, and for that reason was forbidden from walking the stage at graduation and participating in sports for the entire duration of the next year (she was a junior at the time). Kids ARE out here doing drugs, and too many parents have their heads in the clouds about it.

Back