Yellow- Large Youth 4
Gray- Large Junior 2
Scarlet- Large Junior 3
Fire- Small Junior 3
Platinum- Large Junior 4
Royal- Large Junior Coed? Restricted 5
Green- Large Junior 5
Rose- Senior 1 (usually large not sure)
Pink- Senior 2 (again large not sure this season)
Lime- Large Senior 3
Ice- Small Senior 4
UV- Large Senior 4.2
Navy- Large Senior Coed 4
Sugar- Small Senior Restricted 5
Spice- Large Senior Restricted 5
Apple- Small Senior 5
Peach- Medium Senior 5
Orange- Large Senior 5
Steel- Large Senior Coed 5
Electric- Division/Team formed in summer
So other than the few division/name switches, Royal and Ice are the only new colors right? I'm sad there's no Teal, but I love that Yellow is back!!

Rays Marietta Full List
Grape- Tiny 1
Coconut- Large Mini 2
Mango- Small Youth 1
Red- Youth 2
Black- Large Youth 3
Yellow- Large Youth 4
Gray- Large Junior 2
Scarlet- Large Junior 3
Fire- Small Junior 3
Platinum- Large Junior 4
Royal- Large Junior Coed? Restricted 5
Green- Large Junior 5
Rose- Senior 1 (usually large not sure)
Pink- Senior 2 (again large not sure this season)
Lime- Large Senior 3
Ice- Small Senior 4
UV- Large Senior 4.2
Navy- Large Senior Coed 4
Sugar- Small Senior Restricted 5
Spice- Large Senior Restricted 5
Apple- Small Senior 5
Peach- Medium Senior 5
Orange- Large Senior 5
Steel- Large Senior Coed 5
Electric- Division/Team formed in summer
No Mint or Teal this season...... (*crying*).

ETA: @anncheer4, I have a question regarding progression at Stingrays - were most of the new athletes who are now on Peach, Orange and Apple from the restricted/Junior/Youth 5 teams last season?

Last edited:
Wait a minute, has she possibly lost an athlete to one of the big gyms this year and that is the reason for the posting? I guess I missed that part in the original discussions or am I reading into your post too much?

**Wingardium Leviosa...Susies tryout mantra**
No you are reading too much into this. This has not happened to me. And I am also not "salty". Not sure exactly what that means but I don't think it was a compliment.
I have been coaching for many years. I also have 2 daughters that cheered and are now coaching.
I am just saying that I personally think it's crazy to have an athlete go completely across the country to join another gym. That is my opinion. If my own kids had asked me that the answer would have been NO!
I am lucky to coach in a great gym. I am extremely passionate about the sport along with every other coach in my gym. We have amazing kids that we are fortunate to coach.
I do understand that some kids don't have great gyms near them and if they are not happy at their gym then by all means go somewhere where you will be. I just personally would not allow my child to uproot themselves and go across the country to cheer. It's just my opinion.

No Mint or Teal this season...... (*crying*).

ETA: @anncheer4, I have a question regarding progression at Stingrays - were most of the new athletes who are now on Peach, Orange and Apple from the restricted/Junior/Youth 5 teams last season?

I can't speak personally as I am not at the gym anymore (I'm a former athlete now in college) but from what I have seen on twitter/heard by talking to people I used to cheer with there are quite a few people who have moved up from both lower level teams (some boys from coed 3 have moved up to steel) and quite a few who have moved up from restricted/junior/youth

I can't speak personally as I am not at the gym anymore (I'm a former athlete now in college) but from what I have seen on twitter/heard by talking to people I used to cheer with there are quite a few people who have moved up from both lower level teams (some boys from coed 3 have moved up to steel) and quite a few who have moved up from restricted/junior/youth
I see, alright. I've always wondered how big of a jump is made between levels by athletes at Rays each season because the talent is so well spread out among the Worlds teams, i.e. every athlete on the team has very solid level-appropriate skills.

I see, alright. I've always wondered how big of a jump is made between levels by athletes at Rays each season because the talent is so well spread out among the Worlds teams, i.e. every athlete on the team has very solid level-appropriate skills.

Yeah the coaches at rays take progression very seriously. They strive to make each team as well-rounded as possible! They do occasionally move people up who they feel can contribute in one area such as stunting while being slightly weaker in another area such as tumbling but it doesn't happen too often!

What is it gaining you to go across the country to cheer at top gun or Cali or wherever. And I don't mean any disrespect to those programs. But Is that going to get you anywhere in life? Is it going to help with a career? No it's not. Ten years from now who's going to care where you cheered? Might as well stay local and be proud of your own gym and do everything to help them be successful. And save yourself or your parents some money.

If we're going to use the "10 years from now" argument, there's really no point in doing anything. Short of a college degree, basically nothing matters 10 years later.

10 years ago I was 13 and in the 8th grade. I danced competitively, swam, played lacrosse, and was on the math team. I now work in political journalism. I struggled doing mental math the other day (whoops) and haven't taken a math class since freshman year of college to get it over with. I haven't swum competitively or picked up a lax stick since 8th grade, and my dance career came to a very unceremonious end in late April of my senior year of college with my college's dance club's spring performance. Literally none of the extracurricular activities I did ten years ago directly impacts my career today--which involves mostly sitting at a desk and occasionally going to events and interviewing people.

That being said, the people I were exposed to through those various activities most certainly impact my life today, ten years later. Many of them are still my close friends, even though I live several hours away. I danced at a studio a few towns over, even though it would have been cheaper and easier to dance at a studio in my hometown. (My preferred style of dance--clogging--was not taught at my hometown studios, hence the extra travel.) I was able to meet a wider variety of people and make friends throughout the state, which helped to prepare me for college and the "real world" better than staying with the same core group of people from school all 12 years would have. (Maine is quite small.)

So yeah, nobody in my office cares that I traveled extensively for my competitive clogging career (except, of course, to [lovingly] mock the fact that I was a competitive clogger), but the memories and experiences I had through that I'll cherish for a lifetime. I'm glad I didn't "stay local" in this instance.

Question for @BlueCat and anyone else whose gym does personal phone calls:

Do the calls generally go over well with parents and kids?

Do you ever have kids who are upset with the call they get?

Is it literally just a call with team info? I feel like if I did this, it would most likely turn into a parent or kid attempting to engage me re: the placement and asking why/what if I ____/being upset.

How do you avoid that? Do you find that most of your kids and parents are realistic about their kid's skills and accept the result?

Most of the calls are happy and pretty short. The coach personally welcomes them to the team, they are excited, the coach shares some initial info (times, etc.) and that is it. A few of the athletes are not pleased with their placement and those calls generally take significantly longer. Calling each athletes is definitely not the most efficient way to relay that info, but we do feel it has a more personal touch.

Back