2017-18 Usasf Cheer Rules & Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So if a team is XSmall, so then combine with Small at Worlds or do they go to Summit???

What is the purpose of having large teams go up to 38 members? Maybe it'll be beneficial in pyramids but other than that ????? It doesn't add another stunt group for all girl. The extra male is beneficial for a coed but other than that I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the purpose of having large teams go up to 38 members? Maybe it'll be beneficial in pyramids but other than that ????? It doesn't add another stunt group for all girl. The extra male is beneficial for a coed but other than that I don't get it.

Built-in alternates. Every division (worlds and lower levels) now has uneven numbers when it comes to stunt groups, allowing teams to have 2 "extra" people. I guess they could have gone to 34, but either way, all the changes point to that being one of the reasons.

ETA: Except international.

Last edited:

The point is precisely that it doesn't force another stunt group. This allows you to have 1-2 athletes on the team who aren't participating in the group stunts. This gives you some roster freedom to have athletes who either aren't strong stunters and/or don't have to stunt for whatever reason. It also theoretically means an injury wouldn't automatically make you lose a stunt group and change formations.

So the fact that the large division is now 38 athletes even though large teams never even field 36.... I'm confused, USASF

Teams usually don't even reach 36 though, so wouldn't that kind of be the same thing? I guess it's more of a "just in case" factor but still..
The point is precisely that it doesn't force another stunt group. This allows you to have 1-2 athletes on the team who aren't participating in the group stunts. This gives you some roster freedom to have athletes who either aren't strong stunters and/or don't have to stunt for whatever reason. It also theoretically means an injury wouldn't automatically make you lose a stunt group and change formations.

Back