OT 5 Year Olds Kicked Off Of Team After Taking Approved Vacation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I must agree with @CheerBank on the matter of putting everything in writing...Whenever my daughter is doing any sport that requires me to fill out papers with signatures in different places, I consider this a contract, so just like my job, I put everything in writing and make sure it is sign off on too.

In this situation, it appears like someone without the power to do so, gave this Mom a verbal approval, and now trying to backtrack on the approval.

Well by those comments, all the parents on this board are going to hell, living vicariously through our children (might be true for a few ;p) and are overall bad people...okay then.
I love how appalled they are that kids are involved in a competitive activity. "Kids should have fun!" as if competitive cheer is nothing but drudgery...

They sound soft. I know that sounds judgmental, but is little kids being trained for competitive endeavors THAT appalling to some people? Jeez.

I love how appalled they are that kids are involved in a competitive activity. "Kids should have fun!" as if competitive cheer is nothing but drudgery...

They sound soft. I know that sounds judgmental, but is little kids being trained for competitive endeavors THAT appalling to some people? Jeez.

Unfortunately, in the current society where children are being sheltered to the nth degree, I'd say yes. Thankfully my family just judges the money aspect of it, not the actual sport she's committed to. My cousin's two girl's are at the same Competitive Dance Studio as my youngest so I'm not only in the family for kids in competitive things.

This sickened me to hear such stupid comments about competitive cheerleading that you don't hear about other competitive sports. I think, cheerleading is lightweight compared to gymnastics and swimming, there are many others, but these are the 2 sports I am directly was/is involved in... At the tender ages of 8 and/or 9 y.o., young children are subjected to at least 16 hours of training and swimming is worse, my niece (11) does 2 workouts per day, she starts around 5am before school and 2nd workout 4:30pm to 8pm everyday except for Sundays. So, whois really working our children too hard....
If news people want to complain, lets complain about these sports, which by the way, do not have an off-season....

This sickened me to hear such stupid comments about competitive cheerleading that you don't hear about other competitive sports. I think, cheerleading is lightweight compared to gymnastics and swimming, there are many others, but these are the 2 sports I am directly was/is involved in... At the tender ages of 8 and/or 9 y.o., young children are subjected to at least 16 hours of training and swimming is worse, my niece (11) does 2 workouts per day, she starts around 5am before school and 2nd workout 4:30pm to 8pm everyday except for Sundays. So, whois really working our children too hard....
If news people want to complain, lets complain about these sports, which by the way, do not have an off-season....

Those don't count because they could wind up in the Olympics ;p

People are ignorant hypocrites. And honestly, most cheerleading teams don't condition enough for the sport but that's a different story.

I just read an interesting article about year round sports programs and how kids are no longer getting that vital 2-3 month rest period they truly needed especially in activities with constant repetitive motions such as pitching (hence the dramatic increase in Tommy John surgery in young teens). It also talked about how much $$ these programs make because parents of athletes of all levels are so worried that their child will not excel without the nonstop instruction, practice and participation.

Both, Mikayla's and the 5 year olds situations could have been prevented if the rules were in writing and signed. While I'm no fan of Suzie's parents, lay down the rules and disclose the costs, STP, time requirements, vacation limitations, coaching styles, and uniform/hair/make up requirements before the seasons starts and money is taken. Then if Suzie comes knocking on the door with the media, show the contract with their signature and shut the door.

Both, Mikayla's and the 5 year olds situations could have been prevented if the rules were in writing and signed. While I'm no fan of Suzie's parents, lay down the rules and disclose the costs, STP, time requirements, vacation limitations, coaching styles, and uniform/hair/make up requirements before the seasons starts and money is taken. Then if Suzie comes knocking on the door with the media, show the contract with their signature and shut the door.

Though I'm not at WE; quite a few of those parents have come out and said there was a signed contract. Unfortunately, in the realm of public opinion, contracts don't really matter.

Though I'm not at WE; quite a few of those parents have come out and said there was a signed contract. Unfortunately, in the realm of public opinion, contracts don't really matter.

The team voted on the hair according to the gym and media. If the hair was chosen and signed off on prior to the season starting, Suzie would not have had a story to bring to the media.

ETA- While hair pieces and chemical treatments may not be an issue with many of you, there are kids with auto-immune diseases or are just extremely sensitive to chemicals. There are kids that get migraines having their hair tight and additional weight added to their heads. It is very easy for a gym to disclose and have parents sign off on policies and requirements prior to taking money, and that simple act, could save themselves and their members a lot of frustration.

Last edited:
The team voted on the hair according to the gym and media. If the hair was chosen and signed off on prior to the season starting, Suzie would not have had a story to bring to the media.

If the contract states they would wear whatever style WE told them, it would have had the same effect, imo.

Those don't count because they could wind up in the Olympics ;p
EXACTLY! Why the news media is even dumping competitive cheerleading in the subject of sports, if we are not even recognizes as a true "sport".
Declare us a sport, and then get on our backs for working our athletes too hard. Otherwise, Cheer is a wonderful extracurricular activity that does not required skill and precision...(*Sarcasm*)

Tbh, Right now in my mind, we are comparing Apples to Oranges...and I am sucking on a real bitter orange with all this negative media exposure on this activity... (quasi sport)

Last edited:
If the contract states they would wear whatever style WE told them, it would have had the same effect, imo.

SM's are SM's but, Suzie has a lot less ground to stand on with others when she signs a contract stating she agrees to the terms. I edited my response above but, I'm no Suzie, tend to keep my mouth shut at the gym, and go along with the rules BUT, I would want to know if our hair changed to some of the curly styles that some gyms do prior to paying. Both of my kids would require some type of chemical treatment to maintain curl and I'm not sure I would want the added chemicals or expense it would require.

Back