OT Books

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
see even that to me, i didnt think they were that similar.
i dont know i think there are a lot of book with a male figure like that and a female figure like that.

Anastasia is that "Mary Sue" character - the kind of bland one that the user can insert themselves into. She's beautiful and doesn't know it, shy and clumsy, everyone likes her, has like 3 people fawning over her but hasn't dated anyone. Very similar to Bella's Character.

Christian is controlling like Edward, etc. Jose is Jacob, Christian's parents are very similar to Carlisle and Esme (though Christian's mom is a doctor, so the roles are switched). Christian's sister is clearly Alice, all bubbly and so on. There's more but those are the obvious ones.

The plots aren't similar, no, because they're different stories, but I don't think it's hard to notice the character similarities, especially if you're looking for them.

For what it's worth, I think both series were written like crap, but I still read and enjoyed both.

Anastasia is that "Mary Sue" character - the kind of bland one that the user can insert themselves into. She's beautiful and doesn't know it, shy and clumsy, everyone likes her, has like 3 people fawning over her but hasn't dated anyone. Very similar to Bella's Character.

Christian is controlling like Edward, etc. Jose is Jacob, Christian's parents are very similar to Carlisle and Esme (though Christian's mom is a doctor, so the roles are switched). Christian's sister is clearly Alice, all bubbly and so on. There's more but those are the obvious ones.

The plots aren't similar, no, because they're different stories, but I don't think it's hard to notice the character similarities, especially if you're looking for them.

For what it's worth, I think both series were written like crap, but I still read and enjoyed both.
yeah i understand, i just dont think there that similar, i just cant see it. but everyone reads and perceives a different way.

i think i prefer 50 shades over twilight anyway.

Some of the lines from 50 shades just remind me so much of twilight, I've read that series too many times to count lol. Like when Ana tells Christian something along the lines of "is there anything you aren't good at?" think I've heard that one somewhere else. And when Ana says something about him being a knight in shinning armor and he says "more like the dark knight" it reminded me of twilight when he's like "what if I'm not the hero, what if I'm the bad guy?"

Almost done with 50 Shades Darker. At first I was disgusted with how detailed they described everything, but I got used to it. Can't put these books down. Isn't this being made into a movie? Or is that just a rumor?

If that! They could easily make it NC-17 but probably won't limit their market that much. Right now the screenwriter is being shopped and quite a few are interested. It will be a couple of years at least, I'd guess.

I can't wait to see who they pick to play Christian!

thought I'd update my fellow book lovers. and thanks for the suggestions guys! most of the suggested authors, I've read, but always on the lookout for something new.

Since I ran out of books by my favorite authors, and feel like I have read every book that comes up on BN.com under women's fiction, I've decided to take a nonfiction route for my newest summer reading picks.

I'll be starting with The China Study, since I have an obsession with nutrition and whatnot. Followed by, probably, all of Michael Pollan's books. I've already read Skinny B*tch, Eating Animals, Forks Over Knives, and Super Immunity.

*Disclaimer* I am a vegetarian, slowly transitioning to veganism, so if you really, really enjoy eating meat, I don't recommend following in my reading footsteps.. though I'd still recommend Skinny B*tch as an informative light read (it does promote becoming vegan, but it's eye opening and written in a fun way, even if you continue to eat the way you do)

I strongly recommend Dustin Pedroia's book called Born To Play. It's an old time classic. hehe

I know there was a thread on this before but I can't seem to find it.
I just started a new job and there is a ton of down time. I bring my kindle with me but I don't know any good books to read!

So what books do you all recommend?
there's a series called "House of Night". They're by a mother-daughter duo, PC Cast & Kristen Cast. They're SO good. But it's lengthy. I've been reading them since 7th grade (now going into 11th), and I get the new books as soon as they come out, and I think the newest one might be book 10.
Another series is the "Fallen" series. They're by Lauren Kate. it's about a group of fallen angels and this girl who reincarnates because of her love for this guy. They're SO good. And there's only like 4 or 5 of them.
both these sound cheesy, but they're honestly some of the best I've ever read! and hunger games is also amazing :)

Curious as to how many people have read "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer, as now a movie is being made of it. I feel like a visual representation of the book is going to be extremely difficult to pull off, as so much of it deals with things inside Wanderer's mind. Thoughts?

I thought I had read all of Emily Giffin's books, but noticed an older one I overlooked. It was called Heart of the Matter. It wasn't as fun and peppy as her books normally are, but it was really, really good. It was very real world and I loved the characters. I'd highly recommend it!!

Back