All-Star "breaking" Cheerleaders In The Splits

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

omg my mom just showed me this and all I have to say:
F**k the girls. If there all teammates, they shouldve listened to her! And was one of them laughing too? What the actual helling s**t is wrong with her???

Not defending the other teammates but try to remember the age group and peer pressure. Also the girl who video'd did it to help the girls being hurt. And for some laughing is a natural reaction when you're uncomfortable. It's often not controllable.

That is an assumption. Nothing is being clearly shown except for that his knee is physically behind which makes sense since the man is literally behind her, he could be kneeling belong side as he was when the video first started.
But he's the coach, he is telling the girls this is ok by not stopping it, he is the person in charge of the program and he is responsible for what they do at practice.

What I find equally disturbing, and correct me if I'm wrong (but over the course of the 3 days of this story hitting the Internet no information has proven this otherwise ) but this event happened in June. Prior to June 15th. It's now August 26th. Excuse me, but what? Two months? What was happening in between? We know the email was sent to the AD on June 15th and the police investigation began Aug 22/23? What went on in the 60 days in between (my guess is not a dang thing, hence the families going to the news) Now all of these people are suspended....but their names aren't listed in any article I've seen (just Ozell Williams) and from what I read, as I understand it....the suspensions happened this week. Why else would "East High students be getting counseling and learning that the principal is suspended this week". Like do y'all understand how crazy this part of the story is? Not just the abusive act, but the amount of balls dropped and no protection or help these girls received for MONTHS. Like this is insane.

They need to name everyone involved, because while everyone didn't hold the girls down, they still failed to protect them.

TBH I hope the families sue the district and everyone involved individually if possible. Ridiculous.

Like as an educator I just can't fathom this aspect of this story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I find equally disturbing, and correct me if I'm wrong (but over the course of the 3 days of this story hitting the Internet no information has proven this otherwise ) but this event happened in June. Prior to June 15th. It's now August 26th. Excuse me, but what? Two months? What was happening in between? We know the email was sent to the AD on June 15th and the police investigation began Aug 22/23? What went on in the 60 days in between (my guess is not a dang thing, hence the families going to the news) Now all of these people are suspended....but their names aren't listed in any article I've seen (just Ozell Williams) and from what I read, as I understand it....the suspensions happened this week. Why else would "East High students be getting counseling and learning that the principal is suspended this week". Like do y'all understand how crazy this part of the story is? Not just the abusive act, but the amount of balls dropped and no protection or help these girls received for MONTHS. Like this is insane.

They need to name everyone involved, because while everyone didn't hold the girls down, they still failed to protect them.

TBH I hope the families sue the district and everyone involved individually if possible. Ridiculous.

I'm 50/50 on this.

I find your arguments valid.

However, working as a paraprofessional, I rely on my administrators to have my back to a certain extent. They also are out of the building most of the summer. An email sent in June might be pushed so far down the inbox so as to go unnoticed initially when they get back to work in late July (we start school in early August). If they didn't see it until school started, I would expect a full investigation including asking me what happened, prior to action taking place.

Its possible the email went unnoticed and didn't turn up again until she climbed the ladder and sent another email with accompanying video to school board.

That's just a thought.

"In June, the district said a cheerleader, her parents, East High School leaders and Williams met to discuss the forced splits exercise captured on video. At that time, school leaders sided with Williams and he kept his job. Superintendent Tom Boasberg said school leaders thought the issued had been resolved and did not take the complaint to high powers at the district or police. Boasberg said that was a major mistake."

While Williams is fired, four other district employees remain on leave -- Principal Andy Mendelsberg, assistant principal and athletic director Lisa Porter, assistant cheer coach Mariah Cladis and Denver Public Schools deputy general counsel Michael Hickman.

Source DPS fires East HS cheerleading coach, superintendent says | FOX31 Denver

I had seen the names of the other 4 suspended before, but this was the newest article.

His Instagram account is gone.

I had never heard the term "breaking" before. It reminds me of what a trainer would do to an animal (like a wild horse). Now I've seen videos of this same activity at other schools (same coach). Is this "breaking" really a thing? These are young girls, not animals :(

I'm 50/50 on this.

I find your arguments valid.

However, working as a paraprofessional, I rely on my administrators to have my back to a certain extent. They also are out of the building most of the summer. An email sent in June might be pushed so far down the inbox so as to go unnoticed initially when they get back to work in late July (we start school in early August). If they didn't see it until school started, I would expect a full investigation including asking me what happened, prior to action taking place.

Its possible the email went unnoticed and didn't turn up again until she climbed the ladder and sent another email with accompanying video to school board.

That's just a thought.

Our Principal gets two weeks off during the summer (end of June though the 4th and the rest of the admin team gets around 3ish) and in particular at my school they stay on top of their email. The district AD also works through out the summer here, our district offices also remain open in the summer 4 days a week. My 7th grade niece is a JV hs cheerleader----their program had several issues during the month of June, the school AD was there to rectify situations, the principal as well. All school districts are different but in my professional experience, as a district employee , I simply cannot accept that as an excuse....and I'm glad I can find confidence in knowing that a ball like this would not be dropped due to the amount of people on their job.

"In June, the district said a cheerleader, her parents, East High School leaders and Williams met to discuss the forced splits exercise captured on video. At that time, school leaders sided with Williams and he kept his job. Superintendent Tom Boasberg said school leaders thought the issued had been resolved and did not take the complaint to high powers at the district or police. Boasberg said that was a major mistake."

While Williams is fired, four other district employees remain on leave -- Principal Andy Mendelsberg, assistant principal and athletic director Lisa Porter, assistant cheer coach Mariah Cladis and Denver Public Schools deputy general counsel Michael Hickman.

Source DPS fires East HS cheerleading coach, superintendent says | FOX31 Denver

I had seen the names of the other 4 suspended before, but this was the newest article.

Again, reading that article makes everything seem "after the fact". "We thought it was handled in June " ....okay but it's August and the parents took the video to the police and now admin is on leave. Clearly the parents didn't think it was handled.

Personally I would have taken the video to police in June when my child told me, but I can only assume the parents genuinely thought it was being handled initially only to find out it wasn't

Just watched this and he said they got like 8 different videos of doing this of 8 different girls??????

Yeah thats the part that confuses me.. why can't we see the other videos? And anyone know why these videos were recorded in the first place? Did someone plan on exposing this by making the videos or?

@FamousxMindset I see a huge difference between the two videos you are comparing. There is also a huge difference in the type of athlete and training situation. This was high school cheer. Most of these girls likely do not train for more than 3 months a year, many likely have not had more than a few years of rec cheer. You are comparing a coach forcing an athlete to do something she is clearly incapable and unwilling to do versus a coach challenging a seasoned, conditioned, well trained athlete. Football players, marathon runners, etc cry when they are pushed to a certain level - there's nothing wrong with that. It's when someone is begging to tap out and they are not allowed to - whether it looks like she is being dramatic or a baby, that type of coaching is unacceptable, particularly for high school.

Do they not run background checks before hiring coaches at schools? I am very confused by the fact that he got fired for using that technique but then got to go to a new school

One thing that bothers me, is that it's not just this coach. There's a culture among cheer and coaches of other youth sports that this and other types of abuse are "just what it takes" and parents buy it and that needs to stop. If abuse is what it takes (in this form or in other forms), then it's not worth it.

Back