All-Star Cover Up Rule, For Those That Have Competed This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All of the examples are you gave are of "personal" responsibility...but then on the question of this rule you leave no place for the same personal responsibility to be applied...
for the record I am not advocating breaking rules or acting difiantly, I am however intersested in trying to overturn this decision and replace it with something that allows you to be you and me to be me.
Until then it is the responsibility of every member to comply...

for the record I am not advocating breaking rules or acting difiantly, I am however intersested in trying to overturn this decision and replace it with something that allows you to be you and me to be me.

I think therein lies the issue...at what point does our sport go from being a bunch of "you's" and "me's" to a "we."

Having the guidelines I believe is an attempt to move towards the latter. (Regardless of what we all feel individually.)

I feel like it should be up to gyms and parents to encourage modesty. I am on team crop top but I think it can be innapropriate for girls to be walking around casually with so much skin showing. I feel like the cheer world is a little desensitized to it but there are creeps out there and if you are not performing or warming up its wise to cover up and personally I think much classier.

At the same time.. I don't think that covering up should have to be a source of stress. If you are going back and forth from warm ups etc. it's just a hassle to worry about that and I don't think it's necessary to enforce a more modest policy too strictly. I mean, for heaven sakes you're going to be seen in your crop tops no matter what if you're performing.. I just think people should think it through before they casually stroll around showing so much skin.. If that makes sense

Don't get me started on uggs and uni skirt + sports bra combinations etc. Not going there.

I will repeat what I said earlier. We can argue the merits of the "cover up" rule that the USASF came up with, whether it's too vague, too restrictive, what have you. But I will steadfastly hold to my opinion that the governing body for all-star cheer has the right to make such rules regarding the behavior and appearance of their athletes. They absolutely, completely, 1000% have that right.
Oh, I agree. They do have the right to make rules, as does any governing body. But I also have the right to question said rules and see if they make sense for myself and my peers.

I have not had to purchase anything new to comply with this rule so I don't think this is a money making scheme. Let it be for what it is - image of the sport. Gymnast cover up. Swimmers cover up.

What swimmers have you seen? I swam and dove for forever and my speedo was proudly broadcasted to the world.
We had warmups for warmth, but if creepers are gonna creep when Im on the board, theyre gonna creep when Im on the sidelines.

Plus we wore those speedos like a badge of honor, to group water parks. pools, or just around the stadium.

99.9% of people complied at CheerPower this past weekend and it was refreshing to not see 6 year olds as well as 16 year olds trotting around down town in next to nothing! Call me crazy but I hope this "guideline" sticks.

I have to say, what bothers me the most is not the actual guideline. I don't particularly like the idea of walking inside the competition arena covered up, but I understand it. I do however like the idea of walking into public places after a competition being covered up. It looks a lot nicer in a public area. What I do not like is how I believe my gym may handle it. Last season cheerleaders were given a choice if they wanted to buy warm ups. Cheerleading is an expensive sport, so many did buy them, but also many did not.
Our gym rules last year were to come to every competition completely ready. Make up and hair finished, cheer shoes only, in full uniform or full uniform with a warm up on top. Not a team t-shirt (which we had) not a gym t-shirt (which we also had) Only the optional warm up. Our gym competes in about a month (give or take) and no one has even acknowledged the cover up guideline. I just hope that changes soon.

I think what bothers me is that it's not really policing our 'image' in the areas it matters: the areas OUTSIDE our zones (competitions/arenas, outside the gym, on twitter, etc). If you're coming to the arena competition-ready, you're going by people with your hair did and your makeup/uni on. People will STILL be looking and thinking it's odd.

We have "guidelines" set in place for our athletes. No cell phones in their skirt, no ugg boots with uni. They can wear a gym shirt with their skirt, or their warm ups...as long as they are covered while not competing or at awards. It's all about looking professional!

All of the examples are you gave are of "personal" responsibility...but then on the question of this rule you leave no place for the same personal responsibility to be applied...

Hey @CoachTroy, it's the Costco lady! This is my take on it, only my opinion. I do believe the USASF is trying to get Cheerleading recognized as a sport. Cheerleading, as far as I can think of, is the only sport out there where hair, big bows, make up, AND a cute (in my opinion) uniform come into play. This is an extreme example but, the best I can come up with to get my point across:

The absolute best finance person in the world is looking for a CFO job. They walk into the interview in a full out clown costume, red nose, big feet and all. Do you think that could possibly come into play with the outcome of getting the job?

I understand we all should look beyond image, and just so you know, I could have been the "youth impaired" lady at Starbucks saying how cute your daughter was in her practice wear. I think our kids look fabulous. However, my experience at Costco opened my eyes, especially the "streetwalkers have teams?" comment, that not everyone sees our kids looking like athletes. Perhaps it is as simple as the USASF wanting the governing board of the sports world to look beyond the exterior because, when they're on stage there is no doubt our kids are athletes. I know the warm up doesn't cover up the hair, bows and make up, but it certainly tones down the package.

Just my opinion, don't hurt the Cat Lady.

I think what bothers me is that it's not really policing our 'image' in the areas it matters: the areas OUTSIDE our zones (competitions/arenas, outside the gym, on twitter, etc). If you're coming to the arena competition-ready, you're going by people with your hair did and your makeup/uni on. People will STILL be looking and thinking it's odd.

USASF obviously doesn't have the authority to police what goes on outside of arenas. But I think the idea is that it will carry over. If I have to cover up inside the arena, why wouldn't I put on my t-shirt before I even get there? I may as well put it on while getting ready so I don't have to rummage through my bag when I get there to find my t-shirt. If I'm already wearing a top or warmup, why would I take it as soon as I step outside (with exceptions for hot weather, of course)?

The part of the rules that I won't be complying with is coming to the arena competition-ready. It usually takes me a few hours to get to a competition. I don't check in to my hotel until after. If I put my makeup on and do my hair before I leave my house, it's going to be a mess or wearing off by the time I get there.

I also usually take my bow out as soon as I leave the venue. Don't want to have to explain that one if I'm out to eat.

Ashley - If I were still cheering, comp ready would be a no-go for me. I think for the older set, a lot of these 'guidelines' get difficult because we're generally the ones commuting longer distances. I'm still thinking of the ages-long bus ride from AC back to NYC..uggh.

I do get what they're hoping for- I just think they're focusing on the wrong areas and looking for excuses that don't quite match up.

Back