All-Star Cover Up Rule, For Those That Have Competed This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Coach Troy if a total stranger asked me if I thought their daughter was dressed inappropriately I would probably say the same. Especially if the daughter was standing right there. Who's gonna tell a little girl that??? I sure wouldn't. Find a place to ask people anonymously and without social constraints of being polite and I'll bet you'd get a waaaaaaay different answer.

I think the Costco story is happening significantly more often. Note in the Costco story they were saying it ABOUT her, not TO her.

Just-a-Mom you just have no faith in anything noble...If you believe it is true why wouldn't you say it??? You think these things but when confronted you would not give an honest answer?? This is exactly why this image nonsense makes me so angry because instead of vetting it in an open forum so that we can see that no one "image" will ever fit us all...the powers that be snuck away to a board room and just listened to like minded arguments....

The costco story shows the nasty people that talk behind others backs and gossip and have courage to say mean and hurtful things out of earshot...but when face to face their courage goes away and the fake PC talk resumes...

Lol that was quite possibly the most inaccurate description of me I've ever seen! I believe in all kinds of "noble things" - I guess our definitions are just different. I don't think telling a little girl in Starbucks she's beautiful is necessarily "noble" - I'd describe it as "what everyone would do".

It's not PC talk when it's a child. I think most people on here who also know me in person will tell you I'm just like this in real life - I say what's on my mind. I'd hardly say my "courage goes away" when face to face. But yes, if you ask me my opinion of your child *in front of her* I'm going to be nice. I don't think little girls need to be told they look trashy. If you asked me without her there I'd have no trouble telling you face to face that I don't think sports bras and spankies are appropriate attire for little girls to wear in public.

As for the rules committee, I'm pretty sure they based this on what the majority of people outside our sport think. Yes, the majority. I'm not sure why you don't believe that, but the majority of people outside cheer think the uniforms go beyond inappropriate.

Is your argument that you don't think the majority of people feel that way?

You can give an honest answer without being rude ... If she believed it was and answer of " you know I think they have a point a cover up is a good idea".

I think it would be more inappropriate for my cp to be in a sports bra and spankies in Starbucks than to be in her uniform with hair and makeup done in Costco, but maybe that is just me. Either way, mine would be wearing a t-shirt or warm-up jacket.
And if a random stranger asked me an opinion on their child's attire with the child standing there, I would be PC about it as well.

I guess any example of a different reaction then the one you would have will always be met with a skeptical opinion.

As for the rules committee, I'm pretty sure they based this on what the majority of people outside our sport think. Yes, the majority. I'm not sure why you don't believe that, but the majority of people outside cheer think the uniforms go beyond inappropriate.

Is your argument that you don't think the majority of people feel that way?

I coach at a gym that wears full tops, but I am currently undecided on my thoughts about half tops, image statements, etc. In short, I can see both sides. I would 100% agree with Just-a-Mom that the majority of people outside our sport would feel that the half tops (and probably hair and makeup too) are too much. I have friends that have made the statement that the half tops and glitter eyeshadow remind them of Toddlers and Tiaras, and I can't say that I disagree with what they're saying. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one that wants a 7 year-old to look like a kid and not like an adult.

It's important to remember what this sport looks like to people on the outside looking in. These people are potential future customers, and if we want to grow our sport then their opinion matters. Many people see the uniforms, hair, and makeup and are shocked. This is fact. Maybe we're numb to it because we see it all the time. The best comparison I have is stunting. When I am watching my teams practice and a stunt drops (and is caught safely), I don’t gasp and wonder if they are alright. I have been around this sport my whole life, and I have coached my kids for years. I know that when a stunt comes down the flyer will be caught. That being said, I can’t count the number of times that a new mini/youth athlete starts cheer, and their parents watch the beginning of my S4 practice when they’re warming up stunts. You wouldn’t believe the gasps when a stunt bobbles or falls and gets caught in a cradle. In short, people aren’t used to it, so it’s difficult for them to be comfortable. Same goes with the appearance stuff I think.

I guess any example of a different reaction then the one you would have will always be met with a skeptical opinion.

OR - anecdote is not the singular of data and one story can't be used to make your case. Unless your case is "some people don't think there's anything wrong with what cheerleaders wear" - which is quite obvious.

Coach Troy if a total stranger asked me if I thought their daughter was dressed inappropriately I would probably say the same. Especially if the daughter was standing right there. Who's gonna tell a little girl that??? I sure wouldn't. Find a place to ask people anonymously and without social constraints of being polite and I'll bet you'd get a waaaaaaay different answer.

I think the Costco story is happening significantly more often. Note in the Costco story they were saying it ABOUT her, not TO her.

I wouldn't tell a little girl anything negative either. But if I felt negatively I sure wouldn't give a lengthy answer either and continue carrying on a conversation. I think from this story that they lady honestly felt the way that she said she did. It doesn't sound like she was being fake.

But I do agree that most people would save face and give a polite answer and not say what they actually feel.

That being said....our gym provided really cute tshirts for the kids and coaches. I got more compliments on my daughters tshirt than her new uniform, because everyone had already seen her uniform on here or on Facebook. The new uniform made a huge impact seeing it full on for the first time with a team wearing it walking onto the stage. There were no logistical problems with the tshirts. When I took her to meet her team, I took her shirt and some of the shirts from the other girls and gave them to their moms who were still in the competition hall. After the kids competed, they went and got their shirts out of their bags or from their moms and put them back on, same process for awards.

I liked seeing our kids walk around in their shirts, they looked uniform, and the shirts didn't seem to affect anyone's happiness at the event. It was refreshing. I used to have to text coaches at my old gym to have them text kids who were walking around in sports bras or spankies.

I feel like the cover shirts did their job, our kids looked uniform, athletic and wholesome.

We're doing something similar at our gym. I actually like it a lot more than just having the kids wear their uniforms around. The shirts are nice and they give everyone a clean, unique look.

Back