All-Star Cover Up Rule, For Those That Have Competed This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So I would just like to give an example of what I am trying to get across....

Im my program we have an assigned practice outfit for the second practice of the week it is a pair of nike pro style shorts and a sports bra..but because we recognize that each family is unique we provide an additional t-shirt with a similar design to the sports bra as well as a pair of shorts.
So for those families that are a little more modest they can have their athlete wear the additional items but we as a gym can maintain a similar unified look...

In doing this we keep our ability to govern the gym as we see fit but allow for each family to modify it in a way that keeps with their own individual sense of appropriateness.
I want to keep reading through the thread before I respond, but I just had to stop at this one.....BTW love the avatar pic!.....here we go.....This is not a very good example of the point I think you are trying to make.....First: I would like to think that the outfits a gym select for practice does have some benefits to it and it is not just to be uniformed. So if the gym selected spanks and sports bra for practice, everyone should be in spanks and sports bras. My reason for taking a stand on this point is because, depending on what you are practicing, T-shirts can be dangerous. Different types of fabric can be dangerous.....not to the point of causing a fatal injury, but burning, chaffing, scratching, material covering face when coming out of a stunt, etc. For example ribbed t's or tanks really burns the spots arm when catching. Regular T's get caught etc. So while I do understand leaving the "modisty" of the uniform up to each family, It does not work for a very productive, or safe practice.

At the end of the day, we all need rules, mostly because some individuals do not take others outside of their circle much consideration. This issue is much bigger than any individual, gym, EP, ect. it's about an entire sport.

Belive it on not....marketing 101 "preception is reality" so what people see, and the conclusion to arrive at, wrong or right, is your reality....

I'm confused from what I read of the rules and how our coaches generally run our teams at comps. When the girls are going back as a group they do not need their warm ups on. Our team moms NEVER go back with the team but are in charge until they are all gathered up at the coach appointed spot. Parents and girls bags are usually there as well. We have used warm ups always and all of that stays in their bags with their parents and as long as they are a group walking back to warm ups they would be appropriately attired. The cover ups are for general walking around. As soon as a team is done and back with their parents or having time to walk around with their friends they are supposed to have their warm ups on. The team mom would then not be responsible deshirting and reshirting girls.

Here is what the guideline states (copied from site):
This requirement begins with the 2012-13 season.
Athletes with non-full top uniforms must wear a t-shirt or other suitable cover up over their uniforms unless they are in the warm-up area, traveling as a group directly to or from the warm up area, or on the performance stage.

Yes, I wish my gym would implement it as written above, but they are afraid that everyone won't get their shirts back on after performing if left to the athlete and parent.

What swimmers have you seen? I swam and dove for forever and my speedo was proudly broadcasted to the world.
We had warmups for warmth, but if creepers are gonna creep when Im on the board, theyre gonna creep when Im on the sidelines.

Plus we wore those speedos like a badge of honor, to group water parks. pools, or just around the stadium.
Very cute, but did you venture out into the mall in your speedos? do not think so! That is because you know better, probably would not be allowed in; yes because they have rules too. Basically, some form of pride should be associated with wearing a uniform that is missing from many AS cheerleaders. the PJ, unzipped skirts and tops....it completely takes away from the sport aspect of AS cheerleading....

I'm confused from what I read of the rules and how our coaches generally run our teams at comps. When the girls are going back as a group they do not need their warm ups on. Our team moms NEVER go back with the team but are in charge until they are all gathered up at the coach appointed spot. Parents and girls bags are usually there as well. We have used warm ups always and all of that stays in their bags with their parents and as long as they are a group walking back to warm ups they would be appropriately attired. The cover ups are for general walking around. As soon as a team is done and back with their parents or having time to walk around with their friends they are supposed to have their warm ups on. The team mom would then not be responsible deshirting and reshirting girls.

Here is what the guideline states (copied from site):
This requirement begins with the 2012-13 season.
Athletes with non-full top uniforms must wear a t-shirt or other suitable cover up over their uniforms unless they are in the warm-up area, traveling as a group directly to or from the warm up area, or on the performance stage.
Oh, and as a team mom for 2 years I have always gone to warm-ups with my team. And I have probably always had something to do when there - give a band-aid or ibuprofen, take and athlete to the trainer, bobby pin loose hair, go back and retrieve the athlete that was left behind when going to warm-ups, etc.

Same here. We went to Jamfest this past Sunday, and there were lots of kids walking about in their half tops (clearly Mini/Youth aged kids) with no enforcement of this rule that I could see. Our program followed this rule as directed by our owners/coaches, but I definitely saw lots of little bellies this past weekend.
Was it in Illinois? Because that's were I was, I didn't even see (that I know of) any coaches enforce it.

At the same time.. I don't think that covering up should have to be a source of stress. If you are going back and forth from warm ups etc. it's just a hassle to worry about that and I don't think it's necessary to enforce a more modest policy too strictly. I mean, for heaven sakes you're going to be seen in your crop tops no matter what if you're performing.. I just think people should think it through before they casually stroll around showing so much skin.. If that makes sense

Don't get me started on uggs and uni skirt + sports bra combinations etc. Not going there.

I totally agree with you! I personally don't think it is bad or a problem to be walking around the competition venue in a crop top, but the athlete should be in full uniform and representing their program and the sport well. (I also do not like, and wouldn't let the girls I coached, wear uggs with their uni!)

The same way you embed any image? with the [*img]url[/img*] tag? minus the *

tumblr_m985740i9T1r1emlm.gif

Id been trying to embed it as media :oops:

This is in the Worlds Package that was just released. You can bet they will have the same rules for the Summit as well when they release it. I think it will be safe to say it will be enforced

http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Worlds/2013/Docs/Worlds_2013_Cheer_Packet.pdf

Page 20

VI. IMAGE GUIDELINES
1. Judges reserve the right to assess warnings and / or
deductions when a team’s choreography does not meet the
appropriate standards.
2. COVER UP GUIDELINES – Athletes with non-full top
uniforms must wear a t-shirt or other suitable cover up
over their uniforms unless they are in the warm-up area,
traveling as a group directly to or from the warm up area,
or on the performance stage.

It really isn't that big of a deal. Charlotte, a truly class act program has been doing it for years. They already have full length uniforms and unless they are in warm ups or actually competing I don't think I have seen their athletes in anything less than a teeshirt and athletic shorts (not spandex). I finished my cheer career last year as a super senior and looking back I think I was always more comfortable walking around the venue and anywhere else with a shirt or jacket over my uniform. My gym does not have a policy on covering up but it was kind of a natural thing for me to just grab a shirt out of my bag. The only exception to that was competing at NCA Daytona because we competed outside on the beach so there were people in less clothing than I was.

Don't get me wrong- I know 'why' it was created, and am perfectly aware that a shirt is acceptable. But don't be mistaken that they weren't thinking about a potential green paper-lining in it as well. The MOMENT one major team walks out with gorgeous warm ups, it's going to be the hot ticket item to have..cheer isn't just a sport, it's VERY much a business.
I always respect your opinion and, a majority of the time, I agree with it.

That said, the only intent of the cover up rule, was to protect the athlete. Ace Cheer Company has had a similar policy in place with great response. We are trying to duplicate that success.

To respond to comment posted: there is a big difference between watching a barely covered squad performing 100 feet away and standing behind a barely covered 15 year old athlete for 10 minutes in the concession line. I'm a 35 year old man and that makes me uncomfortable.

Does this policy wipe out pedophilia? Nope. Is it going to help the overweight or self-conscious athletic who isn't proud of her body but wants to match her team? Absolutely.

I appreciate all the speculation and hole shooting on this topic. But I'd love to see more people endorsing this positive campaign. I personally don't care if 10% of the teams don't adopt the policy. Because that means we took a positive step for the other 90%.

Everyone loves to poke holes in every decision the USASF makes. And some of them are tough decisions. And some of them are the wrong decisions. But they've been made in the best interest of our athletes and our sport. And they were made because nobody else was making them.

ASCheerMan - I can agree with the spirit of the rule. I am oddly modest in terms of my preferred cheer uniforms for everyone under senior, as I feel once you are 18 you are allowed to make decisions for yourself about your state of dress as you are legally an adult. I am generally a supporter of full-top unis for the youth and under set, if only because the majority of crop tops on the wee ones have grown to be itty bitty. If you look at what was a crop top 5 years ago vs now, they've gotten appallingly short, and in that sense I can agree with something being addressed.

But my newly developed sense of NYC cynicism says that while the USASF might have had noble intentions, I'm not afraid to state that there is a beautiful chance to make some serious cash. The hoopla of F5 debuting those GK unis set off a chain reaction...everyone had one- to the point that about 10 teams had the exact same uni but in different colors. Some team at a Varsity event wins beautiful free warm-ups (particularly one of the high-profile teams), and everyone wants chic custom wear. When I did gymnastics, your warmups were as scrutinized as your leos..heck even in school sports- it was almost a competition for the coolest/comfiest warm ups. Almost a badge of honor..a t-shirt is fine, but when someone goes above and beyond, I won't be surprised if it's the new hot trend. I fully expect it.

ASCheerMan - I can agree with the spirit of the rule. I am oddly modest in terms of my preferred cheer uniforms for everyone under senior, as I feel once you are 18 you are allowed to make decisions for yourself about your state of dress as you are legally an adult. I am generally a supporter of full-top unis for the youth and under set, if only because the majority of crop tops on the wee ones have grown to be itty bitty. If you look at what was a crop top 5 years ago vs now, they've gotten appallingly short, and in that sense I can agree with something being addressed.

But my newly developed sense of NYC cynicism says that while the USASF might have had noble intentions, I'm not afraid to state that there is a beautiful chance to make some serious cash. The hoopla of F5 debuting those GK unis set off a chain reaction...everyone had one- to the point that about 10 teams had the exact same uni but in different colors. Some team at a Varsity event wins beautiful free warm-ups (particularly one of the high-profile teams), and everyone wants chic custom wear. When I did gymnastics, your warmups were as scrutinized as your leos..heck even in school sports- it was almost a competition for the coolest/comfiest warm ups. Almost a badge of honor..a t-shirt is fine, but when someone goes above and beyond, I won't be surprised if it's the new hot trend. I fully expect it.
I'm glad you agree with the spirit of the rule. And I can't argue that there isn't an obvious potential financial impact on the industry.

But I had to address your comment that the decision was motivated by green (or however you referenced it). It just wasn't.

The rest of my post wasn't a direct message to you. It was a general response to some of the other popular arguments made against the policy.

I appreciate and 'hear' everyone's position. :)

I'm glad you agree with the spirit of the rule. And I can't argue that there isn't an obvious potential financial impact on the industry.

But I had to address your comment that the decision was motivated by green (or however you referenced it). It just wasn't.

The rest of my post wasn't a direct message to you. It was a general response to some of the other popular arguments made against the policy.

I appreciate and 'hear' everyone's position. :)
I was never saying it was directly motivated by that, but I'm business-savvy enough to see an opportunity when it arises ;)

You're brave. We're a vicious pit of vipers, we are.

Back