All-Star Cover Up Rule, For Those That Have Competed This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

ASCheerMan - I can agree with the spirit of the rule. I am oddly modest in terms of my preferred cheer uniforms for everyone under senior, as I feel once you are 18 you are allowed to make decisions for yourself about your state of dress as you are legally an adult. I am generally a supporter of full-top unis for the youth and under set, if only because the majority of crop tops on the wee ones have grown to be itty bitty. If you look at what was a crop top 5 years ago vs now, they've gotten appallingly short, and in that sense I can agree with something being addressed.

But my newly developed sense of NYC cynicism says that while the USASF might have had noble intentions, I'm not afraid to state that there is a beautiful chance to make some serious cash. The hoopla of F5 debuting those GK unis set off a chain reaction...everyone had one- to the point that about 10 teams had the exact same uni but in different colors. Some team at a Varsity event wins beautiful free warm-ups (particularly one of the high-profile teams), and everyone wants chic custom wear. When I did gymnastics, your warmups were as scrutinized as your leos..heck even in school sports- it was almost a competition for the coolest/comfiest warm ups. Almost a badge of honor..a t-shirt is fine, but when someone goes above and beyond, I won't be surprised if it's the new hot trend. I fully expect it.

I think there are many many many opportunities for everyone to make cash off us parents as we fork our money out hand over foot and this image rule really does nothing to change how it already is at many gyms (those that put the $ first and those that put families and CPs first). What I mean is I think there are teams and gyms that take every opportunity to make the biggest splash (part of the reasoning for some of those truly controversial uniforms out there) at whatever cost and also some out there that it all comes down to how much they can make $$$$ (in no way saying this is common). At the same time there are gyms out there that get money is tight and can be reasonable in how to get a nice professional look with little extra cost. In our area there is gym A everyone must buy a new (and extremely PRICEY - mouth drop range) uniform, warm ups, and multiple practice wear, and tumbling sessions beyond team practice are extra and expected - one friend there says every day she feels like all they want is her money. Then there is gym B (we happen to be at gym B) and Gym C (we have friends there as well) -both do the following uniforms are rented (although personally I would rather buy one), warm ups are included in a pretty reasonable registration fee for new members that also includes a bag, shoes, comp makeup, bow ...but if you outgrow the warm up and wore a plain black warm up - no one would say anything and the family would not get flack, practice clothes are included, and tumbling and open gym are free for team members. So for me regardless of this rule (in the case of all 3 gyms warm ups were already expected to be purchase well before the rule) there will be gyms that nickel and dime you and ones that get this is a pricey sport but try to be reasonable and as a parent we know that - part of the decision in having your kid in this less than inexpensive sport and one of the many factors in deciding where you have your CP go.

I always respect your opinion and, a majority of the time, I agree with it.

That said, the only intent of the cover up rule, was to protect the athlete. Ace Cheer Company has had a similar policy in place with great response. We are trying to duplicate that success.

To respond to comment posted: there is a big difference between watching a barely covered squad performing 100 feet away and standing behind a barely covered 15 year old athlete for 10 minutes in the concession line. I'm a 35 year old man and that makes me uncomfortable.

Does this policy wipe out pedophilia? Nope. Is it going to help the overweight or self-conscious athletic who isn't proud of her body but wants to match her team? Absolutely.

I appreciate all the speculation and hole shooting on this topic. But I'd love to see more people endorsing this positive campaign. I personally don't care if 10% of the teams don't adopt the policy. Because that means we took a positive step for the other 90%.

Everyone loves to poke holes in every decision the USASF makes. And some of them are tough decisions. And some of them are the wrong decisions. But they've been made in the best interest of our athletes and our sport. And they were made because nobody else was making them.

Thank you for this guideline. (Though in my experience, I think most of the gyms I have run into have practiced some modesty. Unfortunately, the few who didn't...REALLY didn't.) At the end of the day, agree or not, this is just not something that is worth this much discussion (IMO.)

Question about the interpretation of the "team en route" to warm ups...I am trying to figure out if this includes a team unofficially warming up before entering the official warm up area. Most teams gather before heading into official warmups (at which point the team mom / coach is the only adult with a team.). I had assumed that at this point it would be OK to be competition ready?

Thank you for this guideline. (Though in my experience, I think most of the gyms I have run into have practiced some modesty. Unfortunately, the few who didn't...REALLY didn't.) At the end of the day, agree or not, this is just not something that is worth this much discussion (IMO.)

Question about the interpretation of the "team en route" to warm ups...I am trying to figure out if this includes a team unofficially warming up before entering the official warm up area. Most teams gather before heading into official warmups (at which point the team mom / coach is the only adult with a team.). I had assumed that at this point it would be OK to be competition ready?
You are correct. I don't believe the intent is to keep the athlete covered beyond what is reasonable to prep for competition. If I saw a team running through counts in the hallway prior to their official warm up time, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Yep, DeKalb. UA followed the rule as far as I know. I didn't see any of our athletes not complying.
Exactly where I was! And yes I did see a few UA girls with tee shirts, our uniforms haven't come in yet so we were in pink tee shirts, so we didn't have to deal with it

ASCheerMan
So we all have to change because ACE has full tops and a cover up...what about the success of others that dont need this to attract business...so I have to think the way people from Alabama think even though I live in California...we changed EVERYONE'S business because of ACE...????

So you don't want to stand behind a cheerleader at a concession stand with a crop top...yet....you are the president of one of the largest EP's there is...and crop tops have DOMINATED the uniform design for more then a decade.....

What the???...I can't believe????....I have no words.....agghhhhhh.....never mind this just will never make sense...just cover up and shut up I guess...

ASCheerMan
So we all have to change because ACE has full tops and a cover up...what about the success of others that dont need this to attract business...so I have to think the way people from Alabama think even though I live in California...we changed EVERYONE'S business because of ACE...????

So you don't want to stand behind a cheerleader at a concession stand with a crop top...yet....you are the president of one of the largest EP's there is...and crop tops have DOMINATED the uniform design for more then a decade.....

What the???...I can't believe????....I have no words.....agghhhhhh.....never mind this just will never make sense...just cover up and shut up I guess...

You are really getting on everywhere nerves.

I havent competed yet but i think this rule isnt dumb or wrong, its just unaffective. Either way we're still competiting in crop tops, theres gonna people taking hundreds of pictures, those pictures are going to end up on the internet, and anyone and everyone will see it. If this is about the image of cheerleaders then kudos to USASF for trying but lets be real, non cheerleaders arent going to think any different of us....Now we have to hide and be ashames of a big part of our sport.....

Seems like more people are complying now.. ;) I also see why the rule went into effect. I saw a girl that was wearing a sports bra provided by a uniform company that went very well with the uniform (as to not have any bra straps in random places that weren't cohesive with the top) however she was waiting to use the uniform top of another girl that had just competed and was walking around the warmup area with just the sports bra-- which was shocking since it was like she was practically nude! I was stunned to see such a young athlete with tiny spandex shorts and barely boob coverage with the rest completely visible..I know this rule will be beneficial to the cheer world.

I havent competed yet but i think this rule isnt dumb or wrong, its just unaffective. Either way we're still competiting in crop tops, theres gonna people taking hundreds of pictures, those pictures are going to end up on the internet, and anyone and everyone will see it. If this is about the image of cheerleaders then kudos to USASF for trying but lets be real, non cheerleaders arent going to think any different of us....Now we have to hide and be ashames of a big part of our sport.....
*ashamed sorry!

I think, someone should go into business with these:

visstart.jpg

Just make them fitted and give them a look that complements the uni and you're done.

i dont like the rule, allstar cheerleading has been competing with the smaller stomach barring tops for years.. i can understand maybe for the younger teams that their should be some sort of cover up rule, i mean i do think its slightly inappropriate for the girls younger then 13 running around in barely there uniforms, but to force all teams to wear warm ups around during the entire competition is kinda ridiculous.

I was a little skeptical about this policy coming into the season. I didn't think many people would follow it. We went full gym full tops so it didn't affect us. But I went to AmeriCheer's event this weekend in Ohio and everyone but what appeared to be 1 or 2 programs complied and let me tell you - it really made a difference from a spectator and coach stand point. I think it's a great idea!

The UCA we just went to I noticed ACE did wear the t-shirts over. It was really very heavy full tops at this competition anyway. But I did notice one or two random teams in half tops that were walking around and no one seemed to mind, and Ugs were everywhere if that matters. The only ones that bothered me were the four unsupervised mini age girls from a random gym deciding to stunt on the arena concrete floor...the flyer was in sparkly Ugs.

That was a disaster waiting to happen.

Back