All-Star Cover Up Rule, For Those That Have Competed This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What about at awards. I cannot stand when a team is not in uniform at awards. To me it smacks of disrespect for not only the event, but the program you represent.

Full uniforms, no cell phones, no uggs, as if you were ready to perform once again. Just my opinion.
That's exactly our gyms rule and has been since we started. Actually every part of this policy doesn't bother me in the least because our gym has operated exactly in this manner since we opened 4 years ago. Image it's just because I'm used to it, but I don't see the big deal.

I've got to say you all have changed my mind here. I had a negative initial reaction to the rule. Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I thought "Wonderful, another fundraiser for Varsity AND another reason for people to complain about USASF when the rule is not enforced." I really thought they should just leave it up to the gym or parent (if the gym has no policy) to decide about dress code.

Many great posts here have made me see that enforceability is not necessarily the point. While I am still unsure if or how USASF will successfully enforce the rule and think it will take time for this to happen, it doesn't change the fact that it's the rule and it needs to be followed. I agree that gyms have a responsibility to communicate the rule to cheerleaders and parents and let them know that they require all athletes to follow it. I agree that USASF has complete authority to create this rule for events they sanction and for their members. I agree that it will positively affect the way people view our sport.

I do think it will take time for people to like it, though. Until those tiny little minis who don't know anything different are the oldest of the bunch, there will be cheerleaders who remember when they were allowed to walk around however they wanted and will still do so when they are outside the premises or walking the mall with their friends afterward. But, this will eventually become the way it always was. I think it will be a positive step in creating a better image of our sport to the outside world.

We've already competed and our gym follows guidelines set forth by USASF.

After reading some of these comments, I'm glad that our gym follows all guidelines. It's not the gym's job to raise my child, but I am thankful that the gym follows rules no ifs, ands, or buts. I think kids are growing up with disrespect, which I realize is a whole 'nother topic. I don't understand questioning and challenging the rules/guidelines on a forum, because that's not going to change anything. I teach my kids that rules are rules and you need to suck it up and follow them, if you have issues with them go to the source respectfully for clarification.
I haven't even read what you posted beyond this, because it bothered the pants off of me.

I can't put into words how upset I got when reading this. Maybe because it's an election year, maybe because I'm in my early 20s and those are fightin' years, but something about this grabbed my soul and squeezed.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS question the validity of any rule passed that affects you. Don't disregard laws completely, but never stop questioning why they're there in the first place. Complacency is the biggest mistake we can make when it comes to things that occur in our daily life. I'm not saying get paranoid, but when we lose our curiosity about life and why things are the way they are, we lose the ability to change our world for the better. How many things would not be the way they are if people just accepted 'rules are rules?'

While I believe these rules/guidelines were put forth in the spirit of good intentions, and I believe there was a reason they were there, we need to continually check in and ask 'Why.' What is it about our world that made this an issue? Will these be relevant next year? 2 years from now? 5? 10? Was this the CORRECT way to go about putting forth these rules?

As for questioning and challenging the rules on here- this forum has amazed me with its continuous ability to provide meaningful discussion about a whole variety of topics. We have a variety of pretty high-profile people on here who share insight and bring their opinions to the places it matters. Les came on and talked about the Bangkok debacle, Justin comes on all the time to discuss NCA stuff (new sandbagging rules, Varsity score sheet stuff, etc). If you ever wanted a pretty accurate pulse for how people feel about certain things in the industry, I'd look here before anywhere. Yes, we have some gossip-y bits. But I'm always inspired by the challenging discussion and debates we have here. We may not make the change ourselves on the whole, but I wouldn't discount that our ideas and suggestions make their way to the people who COULD do something about it.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS question the validity of any rule passed that affects you. Don't disregard laws completely, but never stop questioning why they're there in the first place. Complacency is the biggest mistake we can make when it comes to things that occur in our daily life. I'm not saying get paranoid, but when we lose our curiosity about life and why things are the way they are, we lose the ability to change our world for the better. How many things would not be the way they are if people just accepted 'rules are rules?'

To be fair, there's a huge difference between questing the rules and laws your government sets, which has a duty to act in the best interest of it's citizens, and those that a private organization makes, which has no responsibility to anyone but itself.

To be fair, there's a huge difference between questing the rules and laws your government sets, which has a duty to act in the best interest of it's citizens, and those that a private organization makes, which has no responsibility to anyone but itself.
Not necessarily. In that the government does have the duty to act in the best interests of its citizens, but what qualifies as 'best interest of the citizens' is determined by private, individual people who have their own ideas of what qualifies for the above..

But to some extent, yes. :D

Yeah i agree it would look better to collect an award but there is no harm in wearing warm ups - did you watch the olympics all athletes collected their medals in warm up clothes!

I have no issue with warm up, it is part of a uniform. I cannot stand when the skirt is unzipped, or in shorts, top unzipped, cell phone hanging out of the waist, uggs, Sleeves rolled up.. You get the picture as we see it all of the time.

Keep in mind that a uniform is just that, a uniform. So everyone is uniform in look, A Team... In my opinion every cheerleader should look the same, from makeup, to shoes. A uniform look.

I do come from a military background where there is nothing left for interpretation to the uniform. The uniform represents Pride and Honor. Just as it should when you are wearing your gyms uniform.

Not necessarily. In that the government does have the duty to act in the best interests of its citizens, but what qualifies as 'best interest of the citizens' is determined by private, individual people who have their own ideas of what qualifies for the above..

But to some extent, yes. :D

Not related, but I used "it's" instead of "its." I'm mortified.

I have not seen anyone really seen anything. The last comp i was at everyone seemed to be in there average uniforms walking around just as if the rule never existed. Im just hoping it stays that way until 2015 at least.

I haven't even read what you posted beyond this, because it bothered the pants off of me.

I can't put into words how upset I got when reading this. Maybe because it's an election year, maybe because I'm in my early 20s and those are fightin' years, but something about this grabbed my soul and squeezed.

While I believe these rules/guidelines were put forth in the spirit of good intentions, and I believe there was a reason they were there, we need to continually check in and ask 'Why.' What is it about our world that made this an issue? Will these be relevant next year? 2 years from now? 5? 10? Was this the CORRECT way to go about putting forth these rules?

As for questioning and challenging the rules on here- this forum has amazed me with its continuous ability to provide meaningful discussion about a whole variety of topics. We have a variety of pretty high-profile people on here who share insight and bring their opinions to the places it matters. Les came on and talked about the Bangkok debacle, Justin comes on all the time to discuss NCA stuff (new sandbagging rules, Varsity score sheet stuff, etc). If you ever wanted a pretty accurate pulse for how people feel about certain things in the industry, I'd look here before anywhere. Yes, we have some gossip-y bits. But I'm always inspired by the challenging discussion and debates we have here. We may not make the change ourselves on the whole, but I wouldn't discount that our ideas and suggestions make their way to the people who COULD do something about it.

I said to challenge the rules if you don't like them. What I'm saying is instead of knocking and complaining in a message board go to the source and get clarification and state your problem there, respectfully.

I challenge rules and Im not raising my kids to be sheep to be led from pasture to pasture. I didn't realize my post would be taken that way because that's not what I meant.

I hear kids saying I don't like the rule, they can't tell me what to wear, I hate this rule, etc. I work with kids and I see a lot if kids from all walks of life with no regard for rules, it's what they want, how they want it, when they want it all the time. That's not how life is, there are going to be rules you don't like forever.

I am a rules follower by nature, though I often break rules (cough, speed limit, cough.). I question that one every day, LOL!! I mean to me, "safe and reasonable speed" makes much more sense than "55 mph." But unfortunately there are people (idiots, lawyers) out there who blow it for the rest of us.

I think these guidelines came about the same way...a few gyms who have pushed the envelope on "uniforms" and those who disrespect a uniform (uggs, unzipped skirts, PJ pants, etc.)

Maybe I just agree with the appearance guideline, or maybe it isn't a deal breaker for me, but I am just amazed that there is so much discussion on this. This is a guideline that I would just follow and not really question, even if there aren't "punishments."

And I really can't wait to see the cool warmups that come about because of this guideline. (Jackets that match the skirt / shorts, etc.)

I said to challenge the rules if you don't like them. What I'm saying is instead of knocking and complaining in a message board go to the source and get clarification and state your problem there, respectfully.

I challenge rules and Im not raising my kids to be sheep to be led from pasture to pasture. I didn't realize my post would be taken that way because that's not what I meant.

I hear kids saying I don't like the rule, they can't tell me what to wear, I hate this rule, etc. I work with kids and I see a lot if kids from all walks of life with no regard for rules, it's what they want, how they want it, when they want it all the time. That's not how life is, there are going to be rules you don't like forever.
I'm sure it was just the wording, but I've been having the Two Weeks of Terribleness and I saw a perfect soapbox opportunity. And we all know I love me some boxes of soap..especially the homemade kind. :D

I have no issue with warm up, it is part of a uniform. I cannot stand when the skirt is unzipped, or in shorts, top unzipped, cell phone hanging out of the waist, uggs, Sleeves rolled up.. You get the picture as we see it all of the time.

Keep in mind that a uniform is just that, a uniform. So everyone is uniform in look, A Team... In my opinion every cheerleader should look the same, from makeup, to shoes. A uniform look.

I do come from a military background where there is nothing left for interpretation to the uniform. The uniform represents Pride and Honor. Just as it should when you are wearing your gyms uniform.

YES! I want to shimmy this 1,000 times.

so I wanted to post this in opposition to the "costco" story....

Yesterday on our way to practice my youngest daughter and I stopped by Starbucks. While we were in line the older lady in front of us turned around and looked at my daughter, who was all ready for practice in her sports bra and spankies with her big purple sparkly bow. The older lady ask her "where are you going so dressed up"..and my daughter responded "practice"..the older lady replied "what are you practicing? what sport do you play".. my daughter pinned back her shoulders and lifted her chin and proclaimed "i am an All-Star Cheerleader"...
for the next few moments they talked back and forth and I decided to ask the older lady a question..."excuse me miss but I was wondering, some people in our sport think that it is inappropriate for girls to be dressed in public like my daughter is now and that it gives us a "bad image" and they should be covered up, do you think she is dressed inappropriate??"..The older lady looked at my daughter and said "are these people from the 1920's!!"..she then said "this young lady is beautiful, athletic, confident, and polite..why would anyone want to cover up those wonderful character traits"...
For the rest of the wait in line my daughter proceeded to tell her all about her team, how she just got her back tuck, how she was a flyer, and how her jumps are really good but dad still puts her in the back row.....

The moral of the story .....
"be more concerned about CHARACTER then reputation" (IMAGE)
~John R Wooden~

so I wanted to post this in opposition to the "costco" story....

Yesterday on our way to practice my youngest daughter and I stopped by Starbucks. While we were in line the older lady in front of us turned around and looked at my daughter, who was all ready for practice in her sports bra and spankies with her big purple sparkly bow. The older lady ask her "where are you going so dressed up"..and my daughter responded "practice"..the older lady replied "what are you practicing? what sport do you play".. my daughter pinned back her shoulders and lifted her chin and proclaimed "i am an All-Star Cheerleader"...
for the next few moments they talked back and forth and I decided to ask the older lady a question..."excuse me miss but I was wondering, some people in our sport think that it is inappropriate for girls to be dressed in public like my daughter is now and that it gives us a "bad image" and they should be covered up, do you think she is dressed inappropriate??"..The older lady looked at my daughter and said "are these people from the 1920's!!"..she then said "this young lady is beautiful, athletic, confident, and polite..why would anyone want to cover up those wonderful character traits"...
For the rest of the wait in line my daughter proceeded to tell her all about her team, how she just got her back tuck, how she was a flyer, and how her jumps are really good but dad still puts her in the back row.....

The moral of the story .....
"be more concerned about CHARACTER then reputation" (IMAGE)
~John R Wooden~

What a darling lady! Too bad more people don't think this way!

Back