All-Star Crossovers - Yay Or Nay?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I agree completely. The problem is that there are willing customers who will pay to have their child compete with multiple teams. As long as this happens, gyms will continue to "satisfy" their clients any way they can. As a parent of two cp's, I would not allow my girls to compete on more than 1 team. It's just my personal preference. Plus, my kids are involved in other activities so being on more than 1 team would not be conducive to our schedules. I refuse to chauffeur them all around the city & state :)

I 100% agree, but gymnastics is a different set up that cheer in this aspect. I will admit, I've been in a situation where a girl from Sr 1 didn't show up to the comp (yes, she was kicked off for not showing up) but a girl from my Sr 5 team was there to watch her younger sister (she was not actually competing, so she wasn't technically a crossover, just using this as an example). So was it easier to have her fill in on that Sr 1 team as opposed to reworking the routine? Yes, it was. Again, this is one of those situations that if there was a rule against crossovers (if she was technically competing but for this example let's just say she was) we would have made it work. HOWEVER, this is a situation than MY gym chooses to justify, many may agree or disagree because my gym is a "big gym" which still makes me laugh. Everyone can argue against crossovers or justify why crossovers work, it's all a matter of perspective.

I get it... and I'm in no way saying all cross overs are bad! Everyone's been put in a sticky situation or 2 weather it be no shows or injuries, we've all been there! I was speaking purely in the "stacking teams" sense! But no matter what the rules are there's always going to be a gym that manipulates the rules. :banghead:

I crossover and have been a cross over my entire cheer career. I couldn't handle not being on any less than two teams. Im on a level 2 and a level 4 but the levels is only because we have an etremely wide variety of talent in our gym and have people with layouts and standing tucks but theres also alot of senior aged girls with only backwalkovers working on backhandpsrings. I love the idea and put my whole heart into all of my teams i am on

gymrat12 SheCheers I in no way wasn't trying to argue what you were saying, nor was I trying to say the "fill in" situation we use on occasion is the "right" way. I'm just saying that that's how "we" choose to view crossovers. I do see stacking becoming MORE popular. Other than NCA (Dallas) I'm yet to see an EP take a stand against it. I wish more would, but until it's a rule, I can't criticize any gym for "stacking" because they are staying within the guidelines. All a "stacking" team has to do is NOT go to NCA (Dallas) and they are completely within the guidelines set. BUT even in that situation we have all seen how that can be abused as well, but again, abused or not is opinion. What some choose to do or not do is completely within their right.

Depends where you compete. I have watched a very strong, small team get completely slaughtered on a scoresheet when they obviously had the most difficulty and the strongest quantities for stunts and tumbling in their division. I had a S3 with 10 and a J2 with 15. 5 of my juniors were on my senior 3. Another 2 of the seniors were junior aged but were only on the senior team. I only had 3 senior athletes that were actually senior-aged but they have been loyal to our small gym for 5+ years, so I was not about to send them packing. I have heard comments from people about the amount of crossovers that we have between the two teams. I am sure it seems abusive that we have so many of them on our junior team, but it works for us. We pretty much used crossovers to keep a team for our older athletes. So in short, I needed crossovers to be loyal to those athletes. For many small gyms, it is a necessity.
My S4 team this year was a prime example of a stacked talent team with only 10 people getting SLAUGHTERED by score sheets. I hands down beat every person in my division in difficulty and execution and got slammed. My kids did full up to cupies, inversion and express up to scorp beautifully - pyramid had 5 flipping skills and I got nailed every time. I ended up stopping them from competing because the kids were beside themselves. At one comp we got beat by a bigger named program who fell 6 times...yes 6 times out of stunts and had 4 tumble busts. AHHH!!!

I have no problem with a team with a few crossovers....I do not understand a team with majority crossovers...what is the point? Please don’t eat me alive...it is a serious question...not meant to offend anyone...but I would like to understand that thinking?

In 2011, we had an awkward spread of senior aged kids when it came to their levels. I think it was like 27 or 28 kids on a Large 4.2. What we ended up doing in December was put together a team of 20 for a Sr 3. We used kids that had tumbling from our 4.2 and our Junior 3. It was to give those senior kids a chance to throw the tumbling, since we didn't really have enough to make a team for them. We were much smaller at that time with like 65 athletes. It gave both teams a chance to be competitive, because those teams would not have been as strong had we fielded them separately from the beginning. Just our insight on how/why we've done that in the past.

I have no problem with a team with a few crossovers....I do not understand a team with majority crossovers...what is the point? Please don’t eat me alive...it is a serious question...not meant to offend anyone...but I would like to understand that thinking?

I know what you mean. If all but 3 or 4 of the members of a team cross over to another team, of the same level or a level 4, then what is the need for the second team?
I will be the bad guy who brings this up because I already did in the other thread sort of, but a level 5 team has 23 athletes listed and all but 4 of those athletes cross over to other level 5 teams, majority worlds teams. They can do what they please because it isn't illegal, but what is the reason of having that team? I am like you lakerfantlc in that I want to understand the reason and thinking behind having a team with that many crossovers.

*As I said in the other thread where I sort of brought this up this is nothing against that team because it is probably one of the few that I am truly excited to see this coming season because of all the talent that is on it.

I feel like some smaller gyms want to have crossovers to make more teams than they really have. i understand crossing over to the same level (ex:jr3 and sr3) but not 2 levels lower.

I think the worst is yet to come. Its called the Summit in Orlando. They need to put some kind of crossover rules in affect for this competition. Teams will be stacking away with their CPs from Worlds teams.Even teams with large amounts of crossovers. Isn't it going to be strange when these crossover crazed gyms march almost the same kids out on the floor for 2 or 3 divisions.

Thanks to a stacked team I had to have a VERY uncomfortable conversation with my young cp. She and her team had been going against one team all season and had beat them everytime. All of a sudden at one comp the other team grew in numbers and physical size. They won. And my little cp, whose team hit perfectly both days, asked why they put all those new kids on the other team. She announced it was cheating and I had to explain that it wasn't. Being the stubborn child she is she announced that IT WAS CHEATING just like eating a grape at the market was stealing. Liked her analogy hating having her already see the shortcomings in the sport she loves with all her heart. If a 9 year old can figure it out why can't the adults?

I think the worst is yet to come. Its called the Summit in Orlando. They need to put some kind of crossover rules in affect for this competition. Teams will be stacking away with their CPs from Worlds teams.Even teams with large amounts of crossovers. Isn't it going to be strange when these crossover crazed gyms march almost the same kids out on the floor for 2 or 3 divisions.
Shimmy times a thousand!

I coach at a small gym and I don't NEED crossovers... in fact we have zero crossovers. In my opinion, you can make a routine work with 6, 8, or 12 level appropriate kids... I don't need to cross people over just to fill out a team.
Shimmy a MILLION TIMES. We are a small gym as well. 2 yrs ago we had alot of Jr to Sr crossovers and it was a MESS. We vowed never to do it again, and havent regretted it since. Have a used a crossover for an injury? Sure. Have we used on flyer crossover since, sure. But several season long crossovers, absolutely not.

Back