OT Dance Moms Season 2.5!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
If these girls end up wanting to dance as a career, I think Abby has screwed them by not concentrating enough on ballet. They've obviously taken ballet here and there, as they have wonderful technique, but why don't they do it more? You saw it at the Joffrey audition. They weren't prepared. I know when I danced (one very, short-lived year:rolleyes: ) ballet was required, even if you only wanted to to tap/lyrical/hiphop/acro. After all, ballet is the foundation of everything.

They've been trained to maybe be successful contestants on SYTYCD, and maybe some good work here and there, but if they want to be a principal dancer at ABT, they need to get out of there. and I really think Chloe has the potential to do that, which is why it kills me.

Not to mention, Chloe on pointe would be to die for! and she really does have the potential. I wish her mom would take her elsewhere for that sole reason.

Sorry for my rant. I don't watch the show religiously, but when I do watch that's all that stands out to me and it drives me crazy!

njallday I would say, that Abby's girls have flash and tricks, not technique. In the first season, Abby had Vivi tryout by telling her to "show her tricks",not technique. Tryouts usually go, technique, solo or a dance taught to them and then they may ask, of they have any extra tricks, something that makes them stand out. Then on the season finale, Maddie, couldn't hold a proper releve, which says a lot that Abby's star dancer, can't hold a ballet basic/beginners move.
laughAlittle , a lot of us have been or are involved in the competitive dance world, so we do know more than Abby. Abby isn't that great of a teacher, in fact, she never was a good dancer, but wanted trophies, so she got great dancers to win trophies for her...

I agree that to become the strongest dancer possible the dancer must dance in all styles. what I don't agree on is Abby keep on just telling Mackenzie to take more Ballet, she is to young, tell her mother, its not her fault that she is no taking enough ballet classes.

I wouldn't say I am smarter then Abby Lee. lol
But i do think I am entitled to my own option as I was at a professional dance school and apart from their competition program back when I was the same age as these kids. So i understand what the girls are going through. I remember my teachers tell me to do something so I would tell my mother but because she wasn't told my a teacher it was just dismissed then i would continue to get in trouble for it from my dance teacher

We all know that Vivi was just on the show because of her mum. you saw at the start of season 2 final the tryouts had more involved then just tricks :)

If these girls end up wanting to dance as a career, I think Abby has screwed them by not concentrating enough on ballet. They've obviously taken ballet here and there, as they have wonderful technique, but why don't they do it more? You saw it at the Joffrey audition. They weren't prepared. I know when I danced (one very, short-lived year:rolleyes: ) ballet was required, even if you only wanted to to tap/lyrical/hiphop/acro. After all, ballet is the foundation of everything.

They've been trained to maybe be successful contestants on SYTYCD, and maybe some good work here and there, but if they want to be a principal dancer at ABT, they need to get out of there. and I really think Chloe has the potential to do that, which is why it kills me.

Not to mention, Chloe on pointe would be to die for! and she really does have the potential. I wish her mom would take her elsewhere for that sole reason.

Sorry for my rant. I don't watch the show religiously, but when I do watch that's all that stands out to me and it drives me crazy!
I completely agree with the need for ballet training. That's what my mom and I have said from the beginning!! My mom was a ballet major and taught dance started at an early age. She had dance teams and she said ballet was the best for technique. She taught jazz and tap as well. I just find it weird how how Abby incorporates tricks. In the dance (really ballet most) world I was in with my mom, it was all about lines and feet

Just an FYI all the girls take ballet. it is not their main focus but they do have ballet class every week. Chloe, Maddie, Paige, and Kendall are all in a petite ballet part of the company with some of the other dancers at the studio. that is where the silver spoons dance came from. before the show all of them took quite a bit of ballet.

Just an FYI all the girls take ballet. it is not their main focus but they do have ballet class every week. Chloe, Maddie, Paige, and Kendall are all in a petite ballet part of the company with some of the other dancers at the studio. that is where the silver spoons dance came from. before the show all of them took quite a bit of ballet.

If those girls take ballet weekly and could not do the basics required for Joffrey auditions (it was really sad) then Abby has some serious issues with the teachers at her school. Most of the time I am unimpressed with the dances these girls do... not because of their lack of talent but because of the choreography. I think most of it is because the pressure to churn out something new for the show each is beating down on the dancers and Abby to the point that the show is taking precedence over the reality - that these young girls are competitive dancers. I think the quality of their dance not all the time but most of the time has gone downhill for this reason. It is really kind of sad... I don't see much more longevity for the show I think something is going to give.

For those of you in the dance world, I have a question: In cheer, there are big name gyms (such as Cheer Athletics, World Cup, Stingrays, etc.) that continuously produce top athletes and teams every year. Is there an equivalent in dance? If so, what would you say the big studios are? Curious, as my dance knowledge is limited....

For those of you in the dance world, I have a question: In cheer, there are big name gyms (such as Cheer Athletics, World Cup, Stingrays, etc.) that continuously produce top athletes and teams every year. Is there an equivalent in dance? If so, what would you say the big studios are? Curious, as my dance knowledge is limited....
It really depends on what you're looking for and where you live. There are different types of dance studios: rec, for kids who want to dance once or twice a week, but don't want to put in 10+ hours a week with choreography and training; competitive, for kids who love the art of dance and want to be in the studio as much as possible; ballet, which is a little more self-explanatory, ballet is the main foucs and sometimes schools may offer other styles, along with ballet and pre-pro, which trains kids to be professional dancers. Then there are NYCDA schools, DEA school, DMA school, YGAP schools, ect,ect. The list just goes on and on. There isn't one governing body like how with cheer and the USASF; it multiple systems. Studios just pick what style works best for them. Depending on where you live and what your child wants to do, that depends on where you train. If you want the competitive dance mom type of studio and you live on the west coast, then Just Plain Dancin, Dancer Edge and Mather Dance Company are big names on the west coast, that you should check out; if you live in Miami and you're strictly ballet, then Miami city ballet school is where you should go. Like with my cp, she is tiny. She is not fond of ballet, plus does not have the long arms and legs, like a ballerina would,(ex:Chloe). She loves to compete and just wants to do enough ballet to compete, so we go to one of the best competitive studios in the state, but a girl from our studio, loves ballet,has a ballerina body, does not like competitions and wants to preform with a big ballet company, like ABT one day, so she goes to one of the best ballet studios in the state. Both are dancers, but the studios are completely different, they don't even teach the same classes! My cp has actually taken classes and done SI's at the ballet school, while competing with her studio and her coaches knew about and actually encouraged it! Neither stuido worries about students being poached, because they are two completely different place and students go to where they will get exactly what they need...Does that make any sense? I know it's a little all over the place, but sometimes, so is the dance world!

Abby has actually had a student of hers on SYTYCD.
And when I danced there, I took ballet for a few years but then I dropped it becaues it wasn't my thing. Company girls (competitive) are different though, so I don't know the classes they're "held to". in my years i'd taken tap, ballet, jazz, hip hop, and a gymnastics class.

So i just watched tonight's episode and i am stunned. Now i knew Abby, Maddie, and Melissa always had this special bond ,but special privates and taking her to another competition is crazy. Where is Chloe, Nia, Paige,Brooke, and Mackenzie's extra secret private?I agree with all the other moms ( not including Melissa) that Abby puts more effort into Maddie's solos and not the other girls. I feel really bad for the other girls. I love how Melissa acted surprised when she found out they were going to another competition :rolleyes:. I just hope it's not like this in real life (outside the show), where Abby favorites and does all this extra for Maddie. Abby does set the other girls up to fail or at least this is how its portrayed JMO.

So i just watched tonight's episode and i am stunned. Now i knew Abby, Maddie, and Melissa always had this special bond ,but special privates and taking her to another competition is crazy. Where is Chloe, Nia, Paige,Brooke, and Mackenzie's extra secret private?I agree with all the other moms ( not including Melissa) that Abby puts more effort into Maddie's solos and not the other girls. I feel really bad for the other girls. I love how Melissa acted surprised when she found out they were going to another competition :rolleyes:. I just hope it's not like this in real life (outside the show), where Abby favorites and does all this extra for Maddie. Abby does set the other girls up to fail or at least this is how its portrayed JMO.
Sadly, that is exactly what it is like in real life.

Back