All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In my opinion, the worst thing about the whole concept of cheerlebs is that the fans are so young. Young kids are so impressionable and when they get fixated on something, it's a minor form of obsession. It'd be equivalent to them meeting a celebrity. And yes, it may be fun to have young kids looking up to you and loving what you do, but being constantly being followed and smothered and not being able to be alone at cheer competitions has to be terrifying for the athletes. And if nobody draws the line and stops it, it's going to go on that much longer. Somebody needs to tell the fans what's okay and what's not okay in means of what to do when meeting the cheerleader. Stalking them down and begging for pictures is not what you do. Just admire the sport/team/cheerleader from a distance.

i apologize for I know this has probably been mentioned in this 34 page thread, but I am ADD and don't have the time to read through them all lol
but in regards to these cheerlebrities and their social networking sites- I understand that some of them, for lack of better words, "encourage" the attention, or some of them may even have some kind of deals with magazine companies and what not, making it necessary for them to make their accounts public, but it kind of blows my mind that their parents would not step in and say enough is enough, ESPECIALLY if they saw some of the foul and derragatory comments that are left on their childrens pictures. Mostly I've only witnessed it on instagram. but alot of these "cheerlebrities" who are CHILDREN have people leaving comments on their photos that blow my mind. Maybe it's because I grew up with a mom who limited my social media interaction until it was age appropriate, taught me to keep things private, and what not, but I'm 21 years old and some of those things written on those pictures make MY jaw drop. I'm not sheltered by any means but the words these kids throw around lightly? talk about creating a complex. and even worse, some of them aren't kids at all. some of them are FULL GROWN ADULTS. this is harassment people. and it sickens me the amount of people that take it lightly and just ignore it. and it worries me even more, because I see these younger cheerleaders following in their footsteps so to speak. maybe I'm showing my age, but do parents not monitor their kids internet use anymore? I mean, I'm friends with my mom on facebook, twitter, instagram, you name it lol and its not even just so she can see what I post, but to see what other people post too. I know things are more easily accessible these days with iphones and what have you, but I just don't understand it. and maybe it's because I'm not a parent. but it worries me, and I don't even have children of my own (nor will I anytime soon lol)
parents, maybe you can help me understand? do ya'll monitor your kids social networking sites? or is that not something parents do anymore? lol like if it were your kids, would you intervene? I'm just trying to understand these shenanigans from an athletes perspective.

i apologize for I know this has probably been mentioned in this 34 page thread, but I am ADD and don't have the time to read through them all lol
but in regards to these cheerlebrities and their social networking sites- I understand that some of them, for lack of better words, "encourage" the attention, or some of them may even have some kind of deals with magazine companies and what not, making it necessary for them to make their accounts public, but it kind of blows my mind that their parents would not step in and say enough is enough, ESPECIALLY if they saw some of the foul and derragatory comments that are left on their childrens pictures. Mostly I've only witnessed it on instagram. but alot of these "cheerlebrities" who are CHILDREN have people leaving comments on their photos that blow my mind. Maybe it's because I grew up with a mom who limited my social media interaction until it was age appropriate, taught me to keep things private, and what not, but I'm 21 years old and some of those things written on those pictures make MY jaw drop. I'm not sheltered by any means but the words these kids throw around lightly? talk about creating a complex. and even worse, some of them aren't kids at all. some of them are FULL GROWN ADULTS. this is harassment people. and it sickens me the amount of people that take it lightly and just ignore it. and it worries me even more, because I see these younger cheerleaders following in their footsteps so to speak. maybe I'm showing my age, but do parents not monitor their kids internet use anymore? I mean, I'm friends with my mom on facebook, twitter, instagram, you name it lol and its not even just so she can see what I post, but to see what other people post too. I know things are more easily accessible these days with iphones and what have you, but I just don't understand it. and maybe it's because I'm not a parent. but it worries me, and I don't even have children of my own (nor will I anytime soon lol)
parents, maybe you can help me understand? do ya'll monitor your kids social networking sites? or is that not something parents do anymore? lol like if it were your kids, would you intervene? I'm just trying to understand these shenanigans from an athletes perspective.
Nothing blows my mind anymore. Look at Dance Moms and all the other awful reality shows (that I TiVo lol). Parents (present company excluded of course) are willing to do ANYTHING on the off-chance that it will make their kid famous.

Nothing blows my mind anymore. Look at Dance Moms and all the other awful reality shows (that I TiVo lol). Parents (present company excluded of course) are willing to do ANYTHING on the off-chance that it will make their kid famous.

this makes me sick. literally sick. makes me fear for the futures of our youth. and no, this is no exaggeration.

Speaking of dance moms, anybody else completely shocked at the fact that Mackenzie (an 8 year old little girl) is alone in her bedroom with her own computer and her mother has absolutely no idea what's going on?

dont get me started again on this one...the parent's HAVE to sign the waivers and give legal permission...and to hear the excuses they use to justify this is unbelievable.

I can't speak for everyone, but I absolutely do, and from coversations I have had on here with other cheer parents, many do as well. My kids know they cannot have an account on any social media site without granting me full access either by being friends with me on that site or by giving me their password. I want to be able to monitor not only what they post, but what other people are posting as well in response to what they post.

Speaking of dance moms, anybody else completely shocked at the fact that Mackenzie (an 8 year old little girl) is alone in her bedroom with her own computer and her mother has absolutely no idea what's going on?
More surprised that she admitted it!

I honestly wasn't that shocked by that, but I kind of felt like she did know... Her 'surprise' wasn't very convincing. If she didn't know before the first video, she figured it out afterward and just let her keep doing it.
What I WAS shocked by was "yeah she also learned how to use my credit card..." :eek:

I honestly wasn't that shocked by that, but I kind of felt like she did know... Her 'surprise' wasn't very convincing. If she didn't know before the first video, she figured it out afterward and just let her keep doing it.
What I WAS shocked by was "yeah she also learned how to use my credit card..." :eek:
I agree her reaction was truly just bad acting, and it's not that I was shocked that Mackenzie had a computer alone in her room (even though this is some I stoooooongly disagree with) I was more just surprised that Melissa willingly let her considering Maddie and Mackenzie's 'status'. You would think (like mentioned earlier) that kids with this much exposure their parents would be at least slightly concerned with the comments that would be said to them (not so much what they're saying back)

You wouldn't believe how out of touch some of these parents are when it comes to social media...especially Instagram. My IG is nothing but pictures of cats...I kid you not. My favorite is kittenfacts...at least 4 times a day I get a photo of a kitten with a interesting fact. I have some of cp's friends on there because she doesn't have a phone capable of running Facebook let alone IG. One of them I have had to remove numerous times because their pictures make me uncomfortable and I don't think their appropriate for a 13 year old to post. All I could think was "Where the heck are your parents?!"
Also when did it become acceptable for teenagers to have boy/girl sleepovers!!!??? Cp brough that one to my attention with a IG pic of two kids she knows...sleeping in the same bed?

Yes!! Growing up we had a computer that the family shared. It was conveniently located in our family room where everyone walks through, and Ina place where my parents had a nice view of whatever you were doing. I wasn't allowed to get my own PC until I graduated high school. I can't believe she had her own (and Internet use) and she's eight. My little cousin, 10, has an iPad and I don't agree with that either.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm with you..I immediately thought she knew. I was not convinced- I just don't think she wanted to come across as "hey look how I'm trying even more to get attention for my daughter"..but that's my opinion.

My daughter is 7 and even though she knows how to access those sites from her computer, she cannot for two reasons:
1. Her desktop is in the living room not even 4ft away from the couch (I can see her computer screen in clear view).
2. Parental controls. Her father and I set it up to where she can only go to certain websites (aka..Nickelodeon or educational websites she uses at school) and block a majority of other websites. No facebook, no twitter, no Instagram, no YouTube, etc.

I allow her to see some of MY fb postings or Instagram pics that involve her, but on MY computer while I'm sitting right next to her. That's it.

You wouldn't believe how out of touch some of these parents are when it comes to social media...especially Instagram. My IG is nothing but pictures of cats...I kid you not. My favorite is kittenfacts...at least 4 times a day I get a photo of a kitten with a interesting fact. I have some of cp's friends on there because she doesn't have a phone capable of running Facebook let alone IG. One of them I have had to remove numerous times because their pictures make me uncomfortable and I don't think their appropriate for a 13 year old to post. All I could think was "Where the heck are your parents?!"
Also when did it become acceptable for teenagers to have boy/girl sleepovers!!!??? Cp brough that one to my attention with a IG pic of two kids she knows...sleeping in the same bed?
My 15 year ex-cp asked me just last night if she could have one at our house because it would be fun and because she knew there would be a greater chance I'd say yes if I could monitor it. Let me think about it NO!

My 15 year ex-cp asked me just last night if she could have one at our house because it would be fun and because she knew there would be a greater chance I'd say yes if I could monitor it. Let me think about it NO!
My brother had a boy-girl friend sleepover when he was a senior in high school. It ended with basically everyone puking half the night. Ask my mother how she feels about those..

Granted- I had cast party sleepovers all the time and we were fine. But we were nerdy kids and just watched disney movies all night.

Back