All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One thing that bothers me most is when people witness other fans making plans to find someone from a certain team make plans to get a picture with them at a bad time and don't suggest for them to wait.. I know a person can't control what two random cheerleaders want to do, but it could help. A girl a took to worlds (only knew of SE) wanted to go find some of the girls on the team right after awards ended... I feel like that is one of the worst times to ask someone for a picture. Let the athlete celebrate with their team and find them later in the day.

To my knowledge, neither we nor the athlete had anything to do with that particular post. Also, we didn't actually "hire" someone. I believe he volunteered.
Out of simple curiosity...is this young man hounded at competitions? We are on the west coast, so we only run into your gym at NCA and Worlds.

My cp's gym has more than a couple of well know athletes. From what I have observed, most athletes respect their privacy. I have seen them participate in autograph sessions during their downtime which may help them from being hounded at competitions. It's funny to see our close friends cp's from other gyms taking pictures with these athletes and posting them. At the gym they all just hang out even though they are on different teams.

how about instead of bashing on the VERY FEW athletes that are the focus of this idol status for being in this position. (really like maybe 20 kids out of the 10's of thousands that cheer??) ...like saying they asked for it, or they need to get rid of their social media, or "I HATE CHEERLEBRITIES" maybe the coaches and gym owners can instruct their athletes to leave others alone during competitions. same way you teach sportsmanship and how you dress at comps, teach them how to treat fellow athletes. The problem is NOT the popular athletes its the kids chasing them!
A five minute talk to your team as you leave for a comp. would do wonders
Just want to bump this for those not wanting to read the entire thread.

The banter back and forth over who deserves to be a "cheerlebrity" or who doesn't, whether it's a stupid craze or not, is it the athlete's fault or not, etc. etc; the fact of the matter is it exists for better or worse. This suggestion alone would do more than anything to quell any inappropriate mobbing.

At ACA, I was so embarrassed when two of the girls on our team were not so much stalking, but going crazy over a couple of SOT kids and CA kids this weekend. They asked to take pictures with them and they were by themselves. They were very kind. I thanked them for taking the time but also talked to the girls and told them please always be respectful and don't go up to them if they are with their team.

I will say it was a bit strange hearing the announcements of cheer celebrities being in the building but I am glad ACA got things under control on Monday.

EPs: You have control over these 'meet and greets'. The money might be great but it is influential in the cheerlebrity nonsense. Eventually, you will be like ACA and have to go to extreme measures to protect average teenagers who really don't need protection.

But I would imagine, under other circumstances at least, hosting a meet and greet feeds this celebrity-phenomenon. For an event like NCA and most others, it doesn't fall in line with our philosophies of all teams are created equal. Putting some gyms on that pedestal and not others is a bad idea.

I think Majors may have a different model and that type of opportunity makes more sense in that situation.

Out of simple curiosity...is this young man hounded at competitions? We are on the west coast, so we only run into your gym at NCA and Worlds.

My cp's gym has more than a couple of well know athletes. From what I have observed, most athletes respect their privacy. I have seen them participate in autograph sessions during their downtime which may help them from being hounded at competitions. It's funny to see our close friends cp's from other gyms taking pictures with these athletes and posting them. At the gym they all just hang out even though they are on different teams.

I was around him several times and there were so many girls who wouldn't leave him alone!

When they were outside practicing a group of girls would not leave him alone and after he told one girl, NO...Her mom insisted she follow him..
As he started to walk off she practically pushed her daughter who was at least 15 and insisted she she go right now until he takes a pic with her!!!!!

Also when I was standing in an aisle in the walkway between the 2 sections waiting on my cp to come down from talking with a friend. He walked up... That walk way went from almost empty to so crowded people were stepping on my toes to get to Matt. He is talking to other Cheetahs and girls are pulling, tapping, touching, and squealing saying OmG their is Matt I'm going to marry him! People are snapping pics of him like they are paparazzi .. All kind of pics from behind from the side... As he is talking to others!! I'm like what is a side view pic of him not even looking at the camera going to do for you? His teammates had to be so annoyed I don't imagine they got any real time to talk to him where they were not interrupted!
He couldn't even watch Panthers performance in peace.

But I would imagine, under other circumstances at least, hosting a meet and greet feeds this celebrity-phenomenon. For an event like NCA and most others, it doesn't fall in line with our philosophies of all teams are created equal. Putting some gyms on that pedestal and not others is a bad idea.

I think Majors may have a different model and that type of opportunity makes more sense in that situation.
I meant that the meet and greets are feeding into the cheerlebrity phenom. Sorry if that didn't come across well. I was leaning more toward the fact that meet and greets are held by companies who pay to have a booth at these events. Any company is always interested in a little extra money to offset costs so why not add an extra booth for a magazine. But maybe a contract with vendors that says 'no meet and greet type events with athletes' would be beneficial in this kind of situation.

A few years ago I was in New York at a broadway show and saw Ashley Tisdale (this was when High School Musical was huge). She was a few rows in front of me so I asked my mom if I could go get a picture and she told me no, let her enjoy the show with her family and friends. A few minutes later a couple of little girls walked up to her for her autograph and then it was a MOB scene. I felt so bad for her she was so overwhelmed and you could tell it just ruined her night because kids kept coming up to her in the middle of the show.
I think parents of these "fan girls" need to put themselves in the these cheerleaders shoes. How would it feel if you knew your kid was being chased around at competitions and couldn't even have a normal conversation without it being interrupted. Their just kids for crying out loud.

I meant that the meet and greets are feeding into the cheerlebrity phenom. Sorry if that didn't come across well. I was leaning more toward the fact that meet and greets are held by companies who pay to have a booth at these events. Any company is always interested in a little extra money to offset costs so why not add an extra booth for a magazine. But maybe a contract with vendors that says 'no meet and greet type events with athletes' would be beneficial in this kind of situation.
I concur :)

I find it interesting that someone would hire a bodyguard. Don't get me wrong, I am aware that there are done crazy people out there and unfortunately within our cheer community. What I really thought was interesting was that a picture was posted by a cheer magazine stating this individual had to hire a bodyguard, but then also provided his screen name to follow him on twitter or Instagram. Really? It's almost like saying don't bother me but please follow me.
Agree - this type of thing perpetuates the problem...if the boy needs a body guard so be it - does his every move need to be in the magazine? NO just entices people to see who this person is that NEEDS a bodyguard. Question - does the boy or his parents have to sign off on things like that or is the magazine free to print whatever?

Every single team from the Majors was given the same amount of "meet and greet" time. I'm not sure whether it would be considered a "cause" of the phenomenon so much as a "result." It was actually nice on Friday to be able to turn down photos/signatures and be able to tell them that they could go to Hall XX the next day and take all of the pictures they wanted. That seemed to cut down on the distraction during the times when the team was actually prepping for their performance.

NCA may not overtly promote individual athletes over their teams (or "famous" teams over others), but other Varsity entities certainly do. (Along with nearly every entity in the cheer business, for that matter.) I am not faulting them for that. American Cheerleader seems to spend much more time on individuals than teams - I can't remember the last time I saw a team on their cover. Varsity Uniforms uses "cheer-famous" models all of the time and I seem to remember them even using them at their booths at NCA Nationals. It is just good PR.

Our gym isn't a big fan of singling out individuals - or individual teams for that matter. In general, though, I am OK with most things that will grow overall interest in the sport. As long as we can manage to keep the worst of the craziness under control, then I think we are fine. Perhaps a brand-neutral group could get together and come up with ways to manage the situation and set some guidelines for gyms, athletes, EPs, and media to follow.

"Putting some gyms on that pedestal and not others is a bad idea"? A team's record determines where they stand in most sports. The Major's awarded team's based on their record. Finally, a company awarded winning coaches and consistantly strong teams a different viable option. Certainly one to be commended.

I was around him several times and there were so many girls who wouldn't leave him alone!

When they were outside practicing a group of girls would not leave him alone and after he told one girl, NO...Her mom insisted she follow him..
As he started to walk off she practically pushed her daughter who was at least 15 and insisted she she go right now until he takes a pic with her!!!!!

Also when I was standing in an aisle in the walkway between the 2 sections waiting on my cp to come down from talking with a friend. He walked up... That walk way went from almost empty to so crowded people were stepping on my toes to get to Matt. He is talking to other Cheetahs and girls are pulling, tapping, touching, and squealing saying OmG their is Matt I'm going to marry him! People are snapping pics of him like they are paparazzi .. All kind of pics from behind from the side... As he is talking to others!! I'm like what is a side view pic of him not even looking at the camera going to do for you? His teammates had to be so annoyed I don't imagine they got any real time to talk to him where they were not interrupted!
He couldn't even watch Panthers performance in peace.
Wow... That's crazy. Like I said, in California that just doesn't happen. Everyone seems to give those well known athletes their space. Don't get me wrong, there is the occasional picture opportunities, but definitely not to that extreme. IMO, parents should not encourage that type of behavior. I'm sure it doesn't help that not only is he a talented athlete but also a good looking kid.

Back