All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am just saying there are ways to produce magazines and products without putting an athlete in such a spotlight where they cant enjoy a competition because their too busy signing autographs and getting bombarded because of it. When I was younger I got subscriptions to American Cheerleader and it was nothing like it is now.
Times change and so does media. Why is a magazine to blame because a crazed fan can't control themselves?

While I do feel the Cheerlebrity craze is unsafe and a little too much, I also feel like I have to play the devils advocate just for a minute by saying it doesn't help the situation to put kids on magazine covers, have them be in web series, or have then at autograph tables signing things, modeling in magezines etc etc.

I wish these kids could just walk around competitions like normal kids and enjoy a competition without being hassled. I do feel bad but in a small miniscule sense I dont. I understand its not the kids fault and these companies dont help the situation but sometimes if it starts to get REALLY bad cant they just say no?
NOT the kids fault for the magazine covers, autograph tables model...ITS the parents who sign the releases...and yes - they can say no, just choose not to.

Times change and so does media. Why is a magazine to blame because a crazed fan can't control themselves?
I simply do not believe that the fans would be anywhere nearly as crazed if the magazines didnt portray these kids like "Tigerbeat" does pop stars, and with the social media to turn up the frenzy by allowing "fans" to feel like they know these kids and can just reach out and touch them....yes, the parents of these kids need to control them, BUT you cannot deny the atmosphere and the desire to be famous plays into the way this is today. I think that the stand outs would absolutely existed without this...first there would be many more of them as there are LOTS of stand out athletes who impress the crowd and no one knows there name...and "respect for talent" would be the atmosphere NOT the popstar atmosphere we have today.

Is the parent who allowed their kid to approach another kid at an inappropriate time not to blame?
Yes they are...but if the athlete is OUT there with all the social media...they are making themselves seem "touchable" Parents should know better and need to be reminded...but the twitter announcements before and after events by cheerlebrities saying how thrilled they are to see their fans makes this seem like an invitation

I still can't believe that people are attacking media and not the individuals crossing the line. The "autograph" sessions, and "picture" sessions provided by a company to promote the company are not the issue. The issue is when the team is circled up talking to their coaches mobs of crazy people are attacking them. THAT is a problem, NOT a controlled signing/picture session.

Is the parent who allowed their kid to approach another kid at an inappropriate time not to blame?

There isn't any one aspect that has total blame. Everyone needs to reign it in, IMO. Parents need to parent. Gyms need to tone down the individual promotions. Kids need to chill on social media. Media needs to tone down the hype. If everyone involved would become reasonable, this whole phenomenon would calm down. Notice I said reasonable. I understand that there will always be a bit of idol worship, and frankly that's not a bad thing. However, when an amateur athlete has to worry about safety the positive aspects of it get completely overlooked and it turns into what we see today.

There isn't any one aspect that has total blame. Everyone needs to reign it in, IMO. Parents need to parent. Gyms need to tone down the individual promotions. Kids need to chill on social media. Media needs to tone down the hype. If everyone involved would become reasonable, this whole phenomenon would calm down. Notice I said reasonable. I understand that there will always be a bit of idol worship, and frankly that's not a bad thing. However, when an amateur athlete has to worry about safety the positive aspects of it get completely overlooked and it turns into what we see today.
Let me start by saying no child in my gym to my knowledge has ever been asked to be on the cover of a magazine or become a spokesman for a product. However, if that opportunity arises I think I would be thrilled for them. Their hardwork or their God given looks will have given them an opportunity to shine. I can not blame them for posing for a picture or allowing an article to be written about them. Heck there are 1,000 other reasons that kids want to take pics/autographs. My issue with this whole thing is the crazed fan. I have no issue with the common fan. When I coached in College one of the coolest times for the team was the day before the comp in both Daytona and in Orlando when they would get to practice outside and fans would run to watch them and cheer them on. No one would DARE interrupt our practice to ask for a picture or etc. When we were done and the team was dismissed they would all see their friends and fans and take pics etc. I think there is a place for that. There should be. The fans finance the sport. The issue is crossing the line. Until measures are taken to address the "crossing the line crazy fan" issues will continue.

I can say this, there are athletes at my gym that are seen as "popular" that have never been on a magazine cover etc. They do have their own personal social media and are on a what some would consider a "high profile" team. I see them taking pictures all the time and looked up to. Just bc they aren't on a magazine doesn't mean kids won't be approached. Again, it's all about the crazed fan crossing the line.

Let me start by saying no child in my gym to my knowledge has ever been asked to be on the cover of a magazine or become a spokesman for a product. However, if that opportunity arises I think I would be thrilled for them. Their hardwork or their God given looks will have given them an opportunity to shine. I can not blame them for posing for a picture or allowing an article to be written about them. Heck there are 1,000 other reasons that kids want to take pics/autographs. My issue with this whole thing is the crazed fan. I have no issue with the common fan. When I coached in College one of the coolest times for the team was the day before the comp in both Daytona and in Orlando when they would get to practice outside and fans would run to watch them and cheer them on. No one would DARE interrupt our practice to ask for a picture or etc. When we were done and the team was dismissed they would all see their friends and fans and take pics etc. I think there is a place for that. There should be. The fans finance the sport. The issue is crossing the line. Until measures are taken to address the "crossing the line crazy fan" issues will continue.

I can say this, there are athletes at my gym that are seen as "popular" that have never been on a magazine cover etc. They do have their own personal social media and are on a what some would consider a "high profile" team. I see them taking pictures all the time and looked up to. Just bc they aren't on a magazine doesn't mean kids won't be approached. Again, it's all about the crazed fan crossing the line.

Disagree on one of your points - The fans DO NOT finance the sport...if they did then why do we all still pay very high cheerleading bills...the competitions would still happen without the crazy fans paying to get in...that is the "popstar" approach. The high profile athlete really doesn't owe the fan for their opportunity to be a part of the sport, or to even being the best at what they do - work ethic and tons of practice get you there...BUT if they want to have the famed aspect of it with our without talent, then they will, and social media and "God given good looks" helps them attain it.

Check out the major drop in grammar as well...both in high school testing and SATs! Definitely wish they would go back to basics more!
Really though. We took a pre-ACT thing that's supposed to predict your ACT score (PLAN test) and when we got our scores back everyone was like "OMG I DID SO BAD ON GRAMMAR" and they even gave us the tests back and it was literally like "which sentence is a fragment" "where does a comma go"... I got 100% on that part but most of the people I know got like 75 or less. I can't even believe how awful these people are at grammar!

Disagree on one of your points - The fans DO NOT finance the sport...if they did then why do we all still pay very high cheerleading bills...the competitions would still happen without the crazy fans paying to get in...that is the "popstar" approach. The high profile athlete really doesn't owe the fan for their opportunity to be a part of the sport, or to even being the best at what they do - work ethic and tons of practice get you there...BUT if they want to have the famed aspect of it with our without talent, then they will, and social media and "God given good looks" helps them attain it.

I did think of one thing the "crazed fan" does finanice and that is the MEDIA...the magazines...most of the highly talented athletes on my daughter's team dont buy them, I'm guessing maybe less than 50% of the athletes in the whole very large gym buy them...but the crazed fans sure do

Back