All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Clarification fans do not solely pay for the cheer. But fans bring sponsors which help finance cheer.

The crazed fan should be dictated their perimeters. That needs to come first. If another athlete interrupts a warm-up of a team for an autograph there should be rules with real disciplinary standards put in place. Who do you think will be liable if someone is trampled or hurt at an event? The rest of the world does not know about "cheerlebrity" and probably would not understand it...that is.. until a tragedy occurs. At that point someone is going to wonder "How did this get so out of hand?"
You would never see a college athlete's safety at stake whether in basketball or another sport being compromised. Their "space" is protected and although not always perfect a standard of care is at hand. There has been both collegiate and professional game situations where celebrations ensued and fans were trampled BUT measures were put in place. This points to at least attempting to minimize the risk. I would think an event producer has a legal duty to protect athletes from foreseeable harm.

I blame cell phones and texting. It's absolutely appalling how bad it is nowadays. I have a friend who does HR for Target Corp. and he sent me a couple resumes that had been submitted (yes, that's not kosher, but shhhh) and you would be shocked at how bad some of them were. Apparently kids aren't even taught cursive anymore?! Insane.

Agreed!! And NO they're not!!! I have a 7 year old and apparently found out that cursive is no longer on the curriculum anymore!!! Isn't that the point of a "signature"?!

I'm a youth services librarian....last week I overheard a group of teenagers discussing how they don't know cursive and were trying to figure it out on one of those magnetic writing board things. Like...here...you're in a library. let me get you a book on that.

Really though. We took a pre-ACT thing that's supposed to predict your ACT score (PLAN test) and when we got our scores back everyone was like "OMG I DID SO BAD ON GRAMMAR" and they even gave us the tests back and it was literally like "which sentence is a fragment" "where does a comma go"... I got 100% on that part but most of the people I know got like 75 or less. I can't even believe how awful these people are at grammar!

I really think it's connected to how much reading people do. I couldn't tell you how to diagram a sentence, but because I've been reading like crazy since I was a little kid, I know how words are supposed to go together and where punctuation fits. My brothers don't read as much as I do, but they definitely read more than most other people we know, and they don't struggle nearly as much with grammar as other students in their classes. I know when I have to do peer review (even now, in upper-division literature classes), I'm amazed at how bad a lot of the writing is. And don't even get me started on my creative writing class a few semesters ago.

I've heard things about 11, 12 year old "Cheerlebs" being apporached at competitions. I can't imagine how scary that can be for them, i'm 11 and i would RUN! I think they are mostly CEA girls whos 2by2 vids get a lot of attention

Also, I actually met Maddie Gardner at the cheescake factory, and apporached her almost as if I was at the cheer comp for a picture. I didnt interupt her dinner and we were waiting for our table. If people just learned that its enough just to lay eyes on them then go up and "attack" them, the whole "cheerleb" deal would be much safer

I really think it's connected to how much reading people do. I couldn't tell you how to diagram a sentence, but because I've been reading like crazy since I was a little kid, I know how words are supposed to go together and where punctuation fits. My brothers don't read as much as I do, but they definitely read more than most other people we know, and they don't struggle nearly as much with grammar as other students in their classes. I know when I have to do peer review (even now, in upper-division literature classes), I'm amazed at how bad a lot of the writing is. And don't even get me started on my creative writing class a few semesters ago.
Yeah, I mean, I used to read a LOT (not so much now b/c I'm so busy) and I read a lot in the summer, and even if I'm peer editing and don't know why you need to fix something (like a formal rule) I can tell when you need a comma or a semicolon or to reword it. I can tell when something is awkward/wrong because I read, but some kids write these awful run-on sentences that don't make sense and it's just painful. I'm terrible at writing but if the content isn't perfect, at least my papers have proper grammar.

Our schools tried this alternate way of teaching the kids how to print in kindergarten (I think it only lasted through my middle child) so that they formed their letters with tails and connectors with the thought it would be easier for them to transition to cursive in the later grades. Good in theory, terrible in practice because it frustrated all the kids who came in from preschool already writing and made them hate penmanship, plus none of the parents knew the letter formations. They have since completely abandoned this route.
In all fairness of the kids, I think about when I need to use cursive my everyday life and work - and it is truly only when I need to sign my name. And I have to sign so many things somedays that my signature has deteriorated into a collection of lines and swirls that barely resembles more than 1-2 true letters. So perhaps teach them that - let them practice their name, then hand them a laptop and teach them how to use SPELLCHECK religiously. Spend a few more years on grammar as well, and refuse to hand out HS diplomas until they can prove they have mastered the difference between your/you're, there/their/they're and too/to/two.

To me, this is also part of the problem. It's the same as texting to me. I believe it makes you dumber w/regards to grammar, not better. Coming from someone who did really well in school spelling bees, I can tell you that writing a letter out and typing it out are so very different to me. I will admit to misspelling words when I type, but it just doesn't happen when I write. With autocorrect, the little red squiggly line in Firefox that tells you when you've misspelled a word, and spell check, we aren't having to use our brain as much.

I am a small cohort in this really strange industry wide discussion of Cheerlebrity. There are not many of us out here who truly have a dog in this fight and I may be an army of one or two here on this board. But let me say, just as I think it is silly to pin a kid up against a wall in Myrtle Beach for a picture and an autograph even though it was harmless in the end and not a problem in retrospect, it is even more silly to see this response to the concept cheerlebrities in general by the rest of the community. Me thinks the cheer industry is constantly looking for a crusade to fight, a cause to hook itself to for whatever reason including legitimacy. Maybe move on to safety and conditioning to prevent all the injuries to these kids knees, backs, hips, necks and arms or something that has some value to everyone. Or how about scoring standardization, registration, promotion of cheer as a viable sport? The response is sillier than the phenomenon.

I'm 38 and after reading your post I'm hearing my parents say this in my head! They didn't like "you can't do that on television" on nickelodeon either ;)
Remember when they kept saying Bart Simpson was a horrible influence? Idk, it has all seemed down hill from there...
I even have a sister in law who wouldn't let her daughter watch the Rugrats because she thought Angelica was too rude. Who knows? Maybe we should restart the anti-Simpson's campaign?;)

Remember when they kept saying Bart Simpson was a horrible influence? Idk, it has all seemed down hill from there...
I even have a sister in law who wouldn't let her daughter watch the Rugrats because she thought Angelica was too rude. Who knows? Maybe we should restart the anti-Simpson's campaign?;)
I wasn't allowed to watch rugrats when I was little either. I never really had any interest in it anyway though...

One of my friends wasn't allowed to watch rugrats for the same reason! She'll be 18 in May and STILL isn't allowed to watch it....

Back