All-Star Design the perfect scoring system

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think this is a great idea. They do this in gymnastics and it seems to work well.

Also in level 5, they should require at least 1 release move and creative entry. Perhaps making a minimum of body positions...?

I think too much compulsory though is going to start boxing the stunt sequence. Currently you arent required to do a release move and creative entry to be level 5, but if you want to win you do.

If you know the current numbers favor fewer people hitting the scoresheet correctly with the right ratios, why have you never take the strongest 28 in a large division of 36 and competed that way? Say in a Worlds division?

We actually have taken fewer than the max to Worlds and thought that it did give us a better chance. That being said:

1. My opinion on this has only changed/strengthened recently.
2. Opinions expressed here are strictly mine and NOT necessarily those of CA. Conventional wisdom can be a difficult thing to change. (You have to convince a large number of athletes, parents, and coaches to go strongly against the grain.)
3. Coaches aren't allowed to see enough information to really confirm such a hypothesis. The way the judging is hidden, by the time you have really gathered enough experience to start feeling comfortable with how a system works, they have already gone to a different system.

We actually have taken fewer than the max to Worlds and thought that it did give us a better chance. That being said:

1. My opinion on this has only changed/strengthened recently.
2. Opinions expressed here are strictly mine and NOT necessarily those of CA. Conventional wisdom can be a difficult thing to change. (You have to convince a large number of athletes, parents, and coaches to go strongly against the grain.)
3. Coaches aren't allowed to see enough information to really confirm such a hypothesis. The way the judging is hidden, by the time you have really gathered enough experience to start feeling comfortable with how a system works, they have already gone to a different system.

I will say I have no idea who you coach at CA, just that you might be involved somehow?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So let's say it is JUST you speaking, and not for CA, your athletes, or anyone else. You are in charge of panthers this year. Would you go with 16 - 19?

I certainly wouldn't kick anyone off at this point in the season. If I were picking the team from scratch, then yes, I would strongly consider having 16-19 under the current system.

(This is all theoretical, there aren't any Panthers that I wouldn't want on the team. In our case, it would also depend heavily on what was best for our whole set of teams, not just Panthers. Each teams' roster selection affects who is available for other teams.)

There starts to be diminishing returns on this strategy, IMO, at around 18. Below that, your inability to legally attempt some pyramid variations starts to limit your ability to get into range.

Any relation to time and this actual season is not needed. I get it would be from the beginning.

What about the large division? Just take 21?

So, let's design the perfect scoring system. While NCA's method of scoring individual skillsets (a rubric puts you in a range, the difficulty decides the tenth value, and execution is equal to difficulty to give you your final score) it still does correct the fact that really good tumblers have advantages in two categories while really good stunters only have an advantage in one category.

So how do we fix this?

Create a second stunting category on the score sheets, or separate stunts into two separate categories.... for levels 1-4 it could be a single leg category and a two leg category

For level 5, maybe a category that addresses twisting and non-twisting release moves... in other words, category 1 would have weighted scores for full up, 1.5 up, double up and category 2 would have weighted scores for switch up, low to high, ball up, high to high, etc

Then that still leaves no category for inversions... hmmm... add a 3rd stunt category and a 3rd tumble? Consider inversions in your 3rd stunt category for all levels and consider jump to tumble combinations as a separate category for Levels 3-5

I understand the compulsory aspect and completely agree with it, but I still don't see how you have created an equal balance of execution and difficulty?

If you are on a level 4 team and perform a level 4 skill, how many points do you get for it?

I understand the compulsory aspect and completely agree with it, but I still don't see how you have created an equal balance of execution and difficulty?

Assuming teams do level appropriate skills, difficulty will have a one point range. 4-5 for L1, 5-6 for L2, 6-7 for L3, 7-8 for L4, and 8-9 for L5.

Assuming teams do level appropriate skills, difficulty will have a one point range. 4-5 for L1, 5-6 for L2, 6-7 for L3, 7-8 for L4, and 8-9 for L5.

Man, you took away my example. Basically point values mean nothing. It all depends on the range of the top tier for scoring.

If stunts were worth 100 points and tumbling was just worth 15, but the top stunt range is 90 - 100 and the top tumbling range is 5 - 15, which is worth more? Stunts or tumbling?

Man, you took away my example. Basically point values mean nothing. It all depends on the range of the top tier for scoring.

My bad, your response didn't show up until I hit reply.

Forgot to write the difficulty range.

Level 1: 3 - 4 points (maximum score with execution is 5)
Level 2: 4 - 5 points (maximum score with execution is 6)
Level 3: 5 - 6 points (maximum score with execution is 7)
Level 4: 6 - 7 points (maximum score with execution is
Level 5: 7 - 8 points (maximum score with execution is 9)
Level 6: 8 - 9 points (maximum score with execution is 10)

Back