All-Star Do You Know Your Level Rules?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know if any of us can say that we actually know ALL of the rules unless we're tested on them...obviously if you have taken a safety course or test or anything of that nature, then you probably know them.

i know all levels pretty well, but level 2 pyramids confuse me sometimes. How is it that you can't go to an extension (legal) and then hang on to an elevator (legal) and then pull a lib? But you can be on one foot in a load position, hang on to an elevator, and then go all the way up to lib. Pointless if you ask me.

I actually love this topic. 2 years ago, when I was in all stars still I had no clue just did what I was told and if it was illegal it was beside me that it was. Looking back now I do really wish my coaches educated our gym on the rules. I think knowing the rules is just as important as competing. 20+ people who semi-know the rules plus 1-2 coaches who are certified are more likely to catch a mistake then just having 2 coaches who are certified. By athletes knowing the rules they would be able to make quick maneuvers within the routine if a mishap happens. If you are not able to brace a certain team mate in the pyramid on time but are able to brace, within the rules and safety, another way quickly you would have just saved you team legality points. Of course, I am ONLY talking within safety boundaries so please do not respond with "well that could be unsafe". :) Anyways I am much more involved in the sport today than when I was an actual athlete. I look back know and think how much more potential I could have had with some knowledge, such as the rules. What tumbling maxes you out, what stunts are you able to push TO the limit with, etc... Knowledge is POWER in all cases. Every athlete, IMO, could use this to their advantage.

I'm sorry to say but your statement is completely false. In football you cannot do "pretty much whatever you feel like to do [sic]". Both are team sports and I am 99% certain football players know all of the rules to their sport, especially at the professional level.
Thank you that comment was really really bothering me!im sure in football it looks like they just run around and hit people to people who dont know football, but they are designed plays. Im sure we look like girls with ribbon in our hair fliping around and throwing people in the air all willy-nilly to people who dont know cheer too. if a fb player does something wrong/illegal they get chewed out, juust like if you mess up a transition making it illegal.

I'm sorry to say but your statement is completely false. In football you cannot do "pretty much whatever you feel like to do [sic]". Both are team sports and I am 99% certain football players know all of the rules to their sport, especially at the professional level.
But you haven't rehearsed exactly what to do? You have several options? It's much more "free".

Thank you that comment was really really bothering me!im sure in football it looks like they just run around and hit people to people who dont know football, but they are designed plays. Im sure we look like girls with ribbon in our hair fliping around and throwing people in the air all willy-nilly to people who dont know cheer too. if a fb player does something wrong/illegal they get chewed out, juust like if you mess up a transition making it illegal.
I obviously don't know all the rules in football, but sometimes someone get the ball not exactly as it was supposed to, and run away and make a touchdown? That doesn't make the team score less, right? In cheerleading you can't really do something else than the routine, or you will score less. And in football you have several choices that you've practised. In cheerleading it's one routine. Nothing else. Correct me if I'm completely wrong! I've watched only one football game in my whole life.
If you mess up a transition, it's not illegal? If you don't do something really dramatical. You just score less, but it's not illegal?

I highly doubt the percentage is that high. And the difference between a professional football player and an allstar cheerleader is the football player gets paid. I would expect him to know his job (including the rules).

In allstar cheerleading, I expect the coach to know. That's what he gets paid for.

I obviously don't know all the rules in football, but sometimes someone get the ball not exactly as it was supposed to, and run away and make a touchdown? That doesn't make the team score less, right? In cheerleading you can't really do something else than the routine, or you will score less. And in football you have several choices that you've practised. In cheerleading it's one routine. Nothing else. Correct me if I'm completely wrong! I've watched only one football game in my whole life.
If you mess up a transition, it's not illegal? If you don't do something really dramatical. You just score less, but it's not illegal?

well there are 2 types of transition in cheerleading. the kind where you move from one section of the routine to another. if you mess that up then no, its not illegal, you just might gets point off for being sloppy or something. but the stunt kind...if you mess up a stunt transition then you more than likely did something illegal...so yes it is illegal and yes you still are going to score less because of the ilegality of it.

well say you are a flyer on a level 4 team doing an inversion in a level 4 pyramid and one of your braces lets go before your bases catch you. That would then make it a level 5 inversion and then illegal, because two people didnt maintain contact with you[the flyer] durring the entire inversion. So yes messing up that transition by not having 2 people holding on to that flyer has made it illegal in a level 4 routine

Football players make mistakes as well, even if they do know the rules. Breaking the rules = penalties in football, just like cheerleading. I think the coaches knowing is more important than cheerleaders knowing. Why should a bunch of 10 year olds know the level rules...that is why parents pay good money to have their kids in private gyms. Those coaches, owners and directors should be the ones that pay to gain the proper knowledge. Just sayin though....

The difference is that in football the players make split second decisions on what they are doing based on what someone else is doing....so unintentional infractions occur. In cheer, the routine is set and practiced to perfection. An infraction will only take place if an illegal skill was put in the routine by an un-knowledgeable coach. (is un-knowledgeable a word? if not, I just made it one!)

well say you are a flyer on a level 4 team doing an inversion in a level 4 pyramid and one of your braces lets go before your bases catch you. That would then make it a level 5 inversion and then illegal, because two people didnt maintain contact with you[the flyer] durring the entire inversion. So yes messing up that transition by not having 2 people holding on to that flyer has made it illegal in a level 4 routine

Except you will usually just get a warning because that is a performance error. Some companies still penalize you, but at a lower deduction for a performance error. The illegality was not intentional. Being uneducated and putting in something illegal is different than kids making a mistake causing a performance error and making a skill illegal BY ACCIDENT.

Back