High School Doubling From A Single Leg

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 24, 2010
They are some girls on my team who are ready to double from a single leg. What body position is easiest to learn from, and tips from flyers bases etc. THANKS Would it be easier going arabesque power press double when learning?

i'm not sure about the power press, but definitely arabesque!
and i am not a flyer, but remind them to square to the front first!
and as a base, make sure the entire base group dips with their legs and pops as high as possible and don't step out!

Theres a drill you can do in the arabesque also! Put the flyer in a half in an arebesque and the basEs will dip and lift her like a show and go as someone else holds her foot and she practices squating to the front. Do the show and go 3 times in a row and on the 3rd have her do her double down. (the foot holder must let go as soon as hey press just in case she goes early!) this drill teaches the flyer to square and wait to double. For doubling, make sure the bases always us a 2 count pop or its hard on the flyer to finish the rotation. To save he bases faces, tell your flyer to put her arms down to the left side of her body and look at her left armpit when doubling. This will save ALOT of injuries!! Goodluck!

Theres a drill you can do in the arabesque also! Put the flyer in a half in an arebesque and the basEs will dip and lift her like a show and go as someone else holds her foot and she practices squating to the front. Do the show and go 3 times in a row and on the 3rd have her do her double down. (the foot holder must let go as soon as hey press just in case she goes early!) this drill teaches the flyer to square and wait to double. For doubling, make sure the bases always us a 2 count pop or its hard on the flyer to finish the rotation. To save he bases faces, tell your flyer to put her arms down to the left side of her body and look at her left armpit when doubling. This will save ALOT of injuries!! Goodluck!

Sorry, Mindset, I have nothing to offer for your question, but I just need to say that the description of this drill was so good, even I understood it perfectly...

Arabesque definitely because it gives them a little extra pull on their first try from pulling that leg around the back. I would say the next easiest is scale because your body is already half way around, so really you're only doing a 1 and 1/2

While it's probably easiest for most flyers to double from an arabesque, I'd suggest working on it from the stunt you'll be doubling from in the routine. For some flyers, especially those who get mental blocks, it might be tough for them to initially learn the double down from an arabesque, but have to switch to a heel stretch, lib, scale, etc. for the routine. Once they're able to do it from the stunt you have in mind for your routine, then try it from something else.

an arabesque is definitley the easiest i am a flyer and thats what i tried first and i think its easiar than from a prep. I think the power press would just mess me up so i would just do a plain old cradle with it.

This sounds like it could be really really helpful, but I don't fully understand it. I'm more of a visually learner do you have a video of this that I can watch. That way I could understand it better and be able to explain it to my girls better.

This sounds like it could be really really helpful, but I don't fully understand it. I'm more of a visually learner do you have a video of this that I can watch. That way I could understand it better and be able to explain it to my girls better.
i dont have one right now but i can get one on monday when i go to the gym! I am so sorry if its confusing, but yes you are right, its an amazing drill and it definetly works!

i dont have one right now but i can get one on monday when i go to the gym! I am so sorry if its confusing, but yes you are right, its an amazing drill and it definetly works!

That would be awesome, thank you soo much! We can't hold tryouts or start practicing for another month so that gives me plenty of time to understand. I have girls who twist really slow and then really fast so if they learn to wait and square then twist the same speed it would make such a difference. It would also really help those girls that want to jump out of their bases hands and spin like the tazmanain devil.

That would be awesome, thank you soo much! We can't hold tryouts or start practicing for another month so that gives me plenty of time to understand. I have girls who twist really slow and then really fast so if they learn to wait and square then twist the same speed it would make such a difference. It would also really help those girls that want to jump out of their bases hands and spin like the tazmanain devil.
hahaaa omg that was the problem for our flyers. They never squared to the front! Well I'll be sure to get the video for you:) goodluck!

Back