High School Doubling From A Single Leg

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Example: I was on Instagram about a week ago and saw video of a Texas middle school team doing a LEVEL 6/COLLEGIATE LEVEL PYRAMID. ON A BASKETBALL COURT.

WHAT.
My high school team did 2-2-1's, and two inversions with one bracer in the middle, all on gym floor. We also did this stunt from Lady Bullets 2013 pyramid bc they found it on YouTube and liked it. We once got to a playoff game and as we were getting off the bus and warming up our stunts in the grass at the end zone, our captains decided we should try a prep with the flyer basing a shoulder sit. It fell and the flyer basing the shoulder sit pulled a muscle in her neck. I was one of the only all star cheerleaders on the squad and was working my way into assistant coaching at the time and to this day it makes my blood boil that our coach would allow that. (The reason I chose not to try out for my senior year.)
If you asked the coach of her credentials she would tell you she was a high school cheerleader in 2003 and she attended the coaches meeting while we were at UCA camp. Thats all.
It's people like her that are the reason high school cheerleading isn't respected like it should be.
ETA sorry everyone has heard this story before. I'm just still bitter people think it's okay.

^^^^If you saw some of the scary doubles from the high school double era, you wouldn't think that!

#jesus

At a UCA camp I attended in 2009, we (the cheerleaders) kept asking our coach if we could work on double downs (several of us already had them from all star cheer) and she kept telling us no. Later during camp, several people lost a tooth from catching crazy double downs and she told us that was why we weren't going to work on them [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankful I had such knowledgeable, safe, and caring coaches. My coach was SOOOO careful about double downs and just as careful about single downs. She never rushed them. We always started with drills... Went to a gut level, half level, extended, one leg, body position, etc. all in good time. This is why I think it's so important to have high school practices in the summer because that way you're not trying to get freshman varsity cheerleader Suzie to twist out of her heelstretch two weeks before comp.

Example: I was on Instagram about a week ago and saw video of a Texas middle school team doing a LEVEL 6/COLLEGIATE LEVEL PYRAMID. ON A BASKETBALL COURT.

WHAT.
Do you have the link? WOW!

Thankful I had such knowledgeable, safe, and caring coaches. My coach was SOOOO careful about double downs and just as careful about single downs. She never rushed them. We always started with drills... Went to a gut level, half level, extended, one leg, body position, etc. all in good time. This is why I think it's so important to have high school practices in the summer because that way you're not trying to get freshman varsity cheerleader Suzie to twist out of her heelstretch two weeks before comp.

And this is why I get mad when states ban cheerleaders from holding mandatory, sport-specific practices in the summer when they rule it a sport. The point is to keep cheerleaders safe, and yet they ban summer practices.

Omg crazy. I saw a video of a high school team (Russian I think) that was doing level 6 pyramid with sort of a level 5 flying element. One flyer flow over the mid layer flyer and landed on her feet on the gym floor. There was no other stunt group/bases that caught her.
See, that's messed up. Even back in the 80s (based on the old videos I've seen) there was at least one spotter for dismounts like that.

And this is why I get mad when states ban cheerleaders from holding mandatory, sport-specific practices in the summer when they rule it a sport. The point is to keep cheerleaders safe, and yet they ban summer practices.

Our principal is trying to say that the rising freshmen can't attend practices until school starts. At least, I heard it through the grapevine. Hopefully, I will know more tomorrow after the meeting.

Am I the only one to find a double from a stretch/bow ugly?
No, very few flyers can make it look good. According to Saleem from Cheerleader Nation it's the hardest body position to double out of.

One night I was randomly searching #cheerstunts on Instagram literally some of sketchiest stunts I have ever seen in my life. I can't wait for the day safety certifications are going to be required for coaching at all levels.

Last edited:
If thats a rule it's news to me! I was out of town during the state meeting this year, but all of us here are practicing with our new teams. Freshman included.
Thank you! Our principal is anti-cheer and now that his cp graduated, he is trying to pull all sorts of bs.

This is really not related at all buttttt.... a few years ago there was a hs team that had a girl basically just heelstretch double down the whooooolllllleeeee routine. So odd lol

Back