All-Star Extra Spotters.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 3, 2010
today at practice i was working on the pyramid and i fell, there were 4 other extra spotters along with my group, and i hit the ground. yes of course my coach said something to them. but shouldnt extra spot's be there to catch you when you fall? thats what their there for right? anyone else have this happen to you?
any stories / opinions on the matter are welcome:)

when i base, i dont let the flyers hit the ground. and if they're close to it, i let them fall on top of me first. i even catch people when im just told to "watch"

The flyer should NEVER touch the floor. I've broken my nose and had my face bleed and all these other disasters to keep my flyer from touching the ground. Spotters are there to catch, if the group fails to do so. Not stand and watch.

The worst is when the paid spotters at competitions let girls hit the ground. I once saw 3 or 4 girls hit the ground in one day with the professional spotters just a few feet away.

the flyer should never hit the floor....they are falling from higher up than the bases are so naturally it would hurt more for the flyer to fall than for the bases to fall

ive fallen a many times. yes bases/third should catch u, but honestly, some are more worried about themself. same story goes for spotters. they're worried about getting hurt themselves.
If a top hits the ground on my team, or the teams i coach. we all stop, get a lecture, and condition

our rule: "never let the flyer hit the floor" meaning, do whatever it takes to keep the stunt in the air, or it may mean the back spot/ the bases/ the extra spotters hit the floor instead.

and to answer your question simply, yes the extra spotters should have helped catch or at least attempted to and make a clear effort

oh, i forgot to add on that when *if for some awful reason* a flyer does hit the ground we get lectured, then do pike ups/v-ups/planks. one night we did 225 pike ups, loads of fun...but definitely taught us a lesson.

and on a side note, i'm a backspot and NEVER let the flyer fall. i'm the one always on the ground, the one that coaches put in certain spots to keep the stunt up, the one that flyers always trust to catch them (really not trying to brag, just stuff i've been told!)

ive fallen a many times. yes bases/third should catch u, but honestly, some are more worried about themself. same story goes for spotters. they're worried about getting hurt themselves.
If a top hits the ground on my team, or the teams i coach. we all stop, get a lecture, and condition

Im a back base and I catch to the best of my ability. And 99% of the time I do. But there have been circumstances where unfortunately catching wasnt possible. Bases should do *anything* to catch the flyer, but sometimes theres just no way

Proud to say in all my 10 years of cheer I always caught my flier, except for one time in high school when I got knocked out (but the extra spotters did their jobs). Actually being such a good backspot is the only reason I was on half the teams I was on while cheering.
I hate seeing ANY part of a flier hit the ground. I can't help but cringe everytime :( . I used to make the team I coached run until I said stop. Once it happened twice in one day and I grounded them for the rest of practice.

I'm like a freak with stuff like this. I'll run over to a stunt that bobbles just a little bit and step in like I'm trying to save it when it's not even coming down. Now that I coach I sometimes have to tell myself to step away and let the girls fight for it on their own, that's how they learn. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just reflexes I guess.

Back