All-Star Extra Spotters.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Like everyone said: The bases/spotters hit the floor before the flyer does!!
I've broken my nose twice in order to catch a flyer,
But as a base I also need to rely on my flyer not freaking out... it's a eally awfull feeling if a flyer does random movements in the air because she's scared. Things like that knock your bases out and then they can't catch you!

Last year at a practice a girl doubled from chest and her head came to the front and she fell to the ground on her head and had a concussion... It wasn't the bases or the spotters fault I think cause we weren't prepared for it to happen.

We use to have four "official" spotters around the group and it's their responsibility to catch.

The worst is when the paid spotters at competitions let girls hit the ground. I once saw 3 or 4 girls hit the ground in one day with the professional spotters just a few feet away.

Those spotters are so dumb and pointless. I hit the floor on a competition mat from a 2 1/2 high pyramid when there were spotters standing there. But the thing is, if they get close enough to actually spot, then they'll probably end up in the way. And there's never enough of them for all of the flyers in the air. Just don't even bother.

Onne year my group was the most solid so we spotted a group just working on libs. The flyer in this group bailed every single time. But one time se fell side ways and I was literally on the other side of the stunt group and dived under the group to catch her and I did. And it was a good thing too because I was the only one who did. I hate the flyers who say they can't spot because they don't want to get hurt, I'm a flyer too and I love to spot stunts because I feel like it's my obligation to cacth the stunt to make sure my team is safe. Our high school coach won't let our smallest flyer spot because she is "too small".

Im a back base and I catch to the best of my ability. And 99% of the time I do. But there have been circumstances where unfortunately catching wasnt possible. Bases should do *anything* to catch the flyer, but sometimes theres just no way

yes i realize there are many thirds/bases/spotters out there like you, and that yes, sometimes u can't always catch the flyer, but the ones where u theres not even and effort from even 1 person to catch the girl. That's not ok.
and in most cases there are at least 3 people there to catch her, if she hits the ground , with 3 people there thats a problem and obviously shows that not everyone was putting all their effort into saving her.

For people like you, im thank-ful for.

A flyer hitting the ground should result in sooo much conditioning that you want to cry, but also I feel like the more spots there are it can also work at a disadvantage. If there are the 2 bases, backspot and 4 spotters it could get alittle jumbled when reaching for the girl. Also one of the spotters or bases might think well since theres seven of us here someone else can catch her and if they all think like that, then the girl never gets caught.

i personally think it is very hard for a flyer to hit the ground. i dont remember ever letting a flyer hit the floor without someone under her.

I have however dropped a flyer from a cradle... because she deserved it

you drop a flyer, i drop kick you.

i have never let my flyer hit the floor... ever. i feel i can take a elbow or a kick to the head, but my flyer can't take a fall to her neck/back. bruises heal. messed up spines don't.

yep im a backspot and i have NEVER let a flyer fall to the floor.
i do everything i can.
we also get yelllllled at, and tons of conditioning for a flyer hitting the ground.
i've gotten asked if "everything was okay at home" by teachers because im so covered in bruises!(from catching of course)
but id take that over a hurt flyer anyyydayy

thanks everyone !
yes, i do think that baces/backspots extra spots should do what ever it takes to catch a flyer,
but flyers cant freak out in the air ! ( like someone said)
they will end up punching/kicking someone and get more hurt then they planned/would have.

you drop a flyer, i drop kick you.

i have never let my flyer hit the floor... ever. i feel i can take a elbow or a kick to the head, but my flyer can't take a fall to her neck/back. bruises heal. messed up spines don't.

Ive gotten broken noses catching flyers, but that doesnt mean there arent instances where its not possible.

My flyer on 5 last weekend was doubling from an aero and kamakazied like you wouldn't believe! She came down completely inverted *and* spinning. One of the bases got her arm (she almost pulled the flyers arm out of its socket), I got the waist, and the other base got a handful of shirt (which stopped her spin so it actually helped a lot).
The flyers chin still hit the floor, and it hit hard enough that her legs bent over my arms and did a double scorp kinda thing and kicked her in the head.
We all got the crap beat out of us trying to save her and all ended up on the floor. Yes, The flyer did hit the ground and was probably hurting more than us. But she now doesn't trust us to catch her and won't double down from single leg anymore.
We did *everything we could to get a grip on her, but it just wasnt in our ability. That doesnt mean its our fault. And that doesnnt give her reason to not trust us anymore. As the saying goes 'Sh*t Happens', you just gotta try as hard as you can to save her.
If nothing else, we slowed her down and stopped her spin. But sometimes, thats all you *can* do.

Oh! And Jasmine (secondary base) got punched in the face, Becky (main base) got thrown backwards and hit her head on the wall, and Drew (backbase/Me) got kicked on the face and ended up on my back with Kara (flyer) on top of me. It was kinda a disaster.

Whats sad is shes doubled from aero before. Multiple times.
Its been in routine all season! This was *toats* outta left fielf and a freak accident. I just think it proves my point that sometimes, there's just nothing the bases can do.

Spotters at competitions are pretty pointless. If there is a large team with 9 stunts in the air, how are 3 people supposed to make sure 9 flyers don't hit the ground? That's asking a bit much.

At a competition once, those stupid "professional spotters" caused one of our backs to fall while catching her stunt because she tripped over him. No, the flyer did not touch the ground, and yes, it counted as a fall. I've broken my ankle and dislocated my knee saving flyers from hitting the ground. I'm way too lazy to do push ups because I let someone fall hahah. I'd rather just catch them the first time.

Back